Sign in to follow this  
monovich

Adobe Bridge CS3 screwed up

Hello,

My Adobe Bridge has messed up file type associations (doesn't even know Photoshop CS3 is there). I tried manually setting the file type associations and I tried restoring defaults, but both result in an immediate crash.

I was thinking maybe if I could find the prefs for it, I could trash them and it would refresh them.

I would have just re-installed bridge, but there is not option to do that in the CS3 installer.

bleh!

Hello,

My Adobe Bridge has messed up file type associations (doesn't even know Photoshop CS3 is there). I tried manually setting the file type associations and I tried restoring defaults, but both result in an immediate crash.

I was thinking maybe if I could find the prefs for it, I could trash them and it would refresh them.

I would have just re-installed bridge, but there is not option to do that in the CS3 installer.

bleh!

Uninstall and re-install. Sucks big time, I know. The settings are stored in the registry and some XML files in the program directory, but they are quite complex and difficult to see thru, so a manual fix is not really feasible.

Mylenium

try

"open with..."

"select application"

(down at teh bottom) "browse"

look into your photoshop directory, and select the photoshop.exe.

then it shoudl rebuild your association from scratch.

there is no "select application" or "browse" in the CS3 contextual menu.

Edited by monovich

If you want to trash the Bridge prefs, have you tried holding down Command+Option+Shift while launching Bridge? That will bring up the dialog box that allows you to trash the settings file and restore Bridge to it's defaults.

This key command would by Shift+Ctrl+Alt on a PC.

I've recently got into the same trouble of crashing Adobe Bridge CS3 when i click onto 'My Computer'. I went to here:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...2&sliceId=1

try everything on there (almost) <_< but no luck.. only later to find out that I have a stupid scanner driver CD-rom in my drive. When I eject it, Adobe Bridge works fine again :lol:

Hope this helps

If you want to trash the Bridge prefs, have you tried holding down Command+Option+Shift while launching Bridge? That will bring up the dialog box that allows you to trash the settings file and restore Bridge to it's defaults.

This key command would by Shift+Ctrl+Alt on a PC.

well at least that reset it, which is great. it's painful to re-associate most everything by hand, but its a step in the right direction.

thanks!

Bridge is a crap app - especially since Adobe in their infinite wisdom stopped PSDs saving meta thumbnails you could view in finder/explorer - but to me it just sounds like bad pirate software. If all the programs are installed at once, such as in a package like Production Premium or Design Standard, this doesn't happen.

Bridge has never ever associated files correctly for me either, because I have a mishmash of CS2 and CS3 and these were installed at different times, so bridge never updated its links.

Burn the Bridge! It sucks dog balls! Bring back thumbnails!

Guest Sao_Bento

There are many technical follies with Bridge and many aspects of the CS3 installers, but, like someone else had posted at one time, I actually use Bridge instead of the finder. I have two monitors filled with 2 bridge windows. It helps keep things organized when you've got a kajillion projects going on at the same time. I hope it gets a little more attention in the future.

yeah this is the first time I've run into Bridge problems. Other than this it's been indispensable, especially on PC which has such a crappy Explorer.

The problems did stem from first installing Design Pemium, then Production Premium, all on top of CS2, which I uninstalled. It's all messed up.