Sign in to follow this  
sebque

[newbie]a quick question

Hi guys, I'm currently trying to explore the world of motion graphics and I've seen tons of mind blowing reels.

I'm just wondering that it can't just be all PS and AE creating all the cool stuff.

What other software should I also learn?

and how does anyone port their ideas from paper to digital accurately?

sorry pls bear with me! :)

You've come to the right place!

It's not about the tools really, it's about knowing what you're trying to do and then learning the relevant techniques to achieve it. I could reel off a list of commercial software to learn but there are plenty of free open source apps you could also use.

I would recommend using a 3D program because it forces you to use image editing software and compositing techniques to get the final result, so your learning towards motion graphics would be more informed. I use photoshop, illustrator and after effects for all my 2D stuff and to prepare assets for my 3D.

For 3D I use Blender. It's hard to learn and has less one-click 'cool stuff' buttons (like fur and landscape generators) but there are thousands of people learning it at once and it's updated every five weeks, which beats the crap out of any major software producer. And it is FREE!

Though for mograph it's generally accepted that Cinema 4D and Maya are the 3D weapons of choice. It's up to you. Download trials and see what you get on with. Video tutorials (digital-tutors.com etc.) are THE best way of learning these horrendously complex apps.

Ed

Hi guys, I'm currently trying to explore the world of motion graphics and I've seen tons of mind blowing reels.

I'm just wondering that it can't just be all PS and AE creating all the cool stuff.

There's no secret application people use to make cool stuff.

Apart from a 3D application, I would say it IS nearly all PS and AE - in terms of software. Obviously one would want to learn Illustrator as well as PS and one day maybe a matchmover like Boujou or PFHoe for specific jobs. Let's not forget that AE has hundreds of 3rd Party plug-ins and effects available, some of which are like separate applications in their own right, but not many of them are essential.

I'd say mind blowing reels use sophisticated techniques and processes within (mostly) the basic applications. There are so many little tricks and techniques that make things look extra special. But I think a lot of the really talented artist's actually invent their own techniques rather than learn them from others. In order to do the same you need to work out WHY something is so cool (to you) compared to something that is not. Then you can start to pull apart the techniques or looks that you like and re-create them for yourself, along the way you make choices and have ideas which are unique to you as well, and put it all together. Where one really needs help is when you know exactly what you are trying to achieve but cannot break it down enough to work out the precise technique. Eg I know I want this type of light effect around the edges of my foreground objects to intersect with my type (or whatever) , but I don't know how to do it.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'accurately'. Do you mean preserving every detail that is in the boards? That doesn't actually happen very often AFAIK... Check out this

http://motionographer.com/media/troika/diarama_FLATTENED.jpg

and then this

http://motionographer.com/media/troika/id_1_fiddle.mov

The jpg is really nicely textured and detailed with objects subtly blending with their backgrounds, but most of that is lost in the 3D version.

Edited by Steven Kirby

I'm in a similar position as yourself, starting out and trying to learn the tools but design as well. In the past I've done things like web design, photography and page layout. I have no formal education in any of these disciplines nor were they ever my core competency or career. Basically I've toyed with them but overall had an interest in motion graphics and videofx for quite some time.

I've watched the demo reels and was blown away as you. What I'm noticing now is that instead of being blown away I'm looking at them and trying to understand how the scenes were pulled together. One element that I think ranks very high in some of these reels, and it's somewhat aside from the tricks and techniques of the software is having "quality footage". For me that is not easy to come by but having keyed footage and quality shots adds a whole other level to the reels.

There is a huge amount you can do without even adding photoshop. In AE CS3, you now have shape layers, and masks I believe have been upgraded as well. These are huge features and my inexperienced guess would be that those things somewhat replace the need to have illustrator skills to really bang out some nice graphics.

It does seem that 3D progs are popular in the mograph trade. However, I've found that without adding even a 3D plugin to AE there are a number of things you can do to create 3D layers that are volumetric.

Take a look at this as one quick example http://www.nabscripts.com/Experiments/expe...nts_en.php?id=6

Google for AE expressions and scripts. There are some really talented code people out there who have posted there stuff for share. If you want to incorporate 3D you can start with something like Zaxwerks Invigorator or Animator AE plugins. Again google around for examples.

Last, I posted a somewhat similar question a few weeks back. What I'm finding now is that reading some design books and graphic arts compendiums can fuel some of your own creative potential.

Stuart

It's about having learnt everything, and then finding an outlet for all this encyclopedic knowledge. Hence the birth of 'motion graphics', an umbrella term for abstract animation derived from new media graphic design.

To a fine artist, I'm a computer geek. To a geek I'm a designer. To a designer I'm an animator. To an animator I'm a (bullshitter) motion graphics bod. To any half-decent 3D animator I'm just a dilettante.

It's about doing everything you love all at once if possible. It's okay to leave one thing for months to concentrate on honing another skill, as you know it all helps in the end anyway. I'm also a writer, ha ha ha

Just be prepared for the long slow burn. We can't all be insanely artistically gifted AND technical at the same time, but we can fucking try.

It's about having learnt everything, and then finding an outlet for all this encyclopedic knowledge. Hence the birth of 'motion graphics', an umbrella term for abstract animation derived from new media graphic design.

To a fine artist, I'm a computer geek. To a geek I'm a designer. To a designer I'm an animator. To an animator I'm a (bullshitter) motion graphics bod. To any half-decent 3D animator I'm just a dilettante.

It's about doing everything you love all at once if possible. It's okay to leave one thing for months to concentrate on honing another skill, as you know it all helps in the end anyway. I'm also a writer, ha ha ha

Just be prepared for the long slow burn. We can't all be insanely artistically gifted AND technical at the same time, but we can fucking try.

nicely said

VERY well-put iline!