Sign in to follow this  
Rogier Hendriks

graph editor AE CS3

OMG... I just want to scream out loud!!!

Why the f*ck did Adobe come up with such a rediculous "improvent" which they call the graph editor.

Completely useless and unlogical.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this "editor" which it aint.

Bring back the 6.0 editor Adobe please!!! Or put it back in as an option and call it "classic editor"

F*ck, what a waste of time.

Thanks for listening...

-R

I can tell you that you are NOT alone on your views of the graph editor, lol. When filling out that survey mentioned in another post I definitely brought that up. Every studio I've freelanced at has the same thoughts. I'm still running 6.5.1 at home just so I don't have to deal with it.

Guest Sao_Bento

Why the f*ck did Adobe come up with such a rediculous "improvent" which they call the graph editor.

Have you seen Actionscript 3.0 in Flash? Adobe was just getting warmed up with the AE curves. FWIW, I don't really mind the new graph editor all that much.

Have you seen Actionscript 3.0 in Flash? Adobe was just getting warmed up with the AE curves. FWIW, I don't really mind the new graph editor all that much.

I don't mind it so much. What I don't like is only having a dedicated graph window that takes over the comp window. It's such an interruption to the workflow. I honestly wonder who tests this stuff and says "Yeah, that's great! Put it in a different window so I can't see it." I could see it in an entirely separate window (kind of like the Maya graph editor)

I like the functionality of it, but I think they missed the mark in terms of the practicality of it.

Completely useless and unlogical.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this "editor" which it aint.

Bring back the 6.0 editor Adobe please!!! Or put it back in as an option and call it "classic editor"

F*ck, what a waste of time.

Thanks for listening...

-R

Oh I agree it's frustrating to get the hang of.

That said ... can I just bring up ....

Completely useless and UNLOGICAL.

Ummmm. ;)

P.S. AE's graph Editor is teh suxXor

When i saw the first screenshot of AE 7 i thought: cool at last they made a real graph editor. After using it the first time i thought how could they completely mess up such a simple thing as a f****n graph editor? It's not like there wheren't any other good working solutions out there they could have used for inspiration...

YES Fill out the survey! It takes awhile, but some of the question in the "priority section" should all be a priority! They list 50 things and expect you to pick your top 5? Why don't they just fix all of them! If Adobe would have a customizable interface like C4D would be cool. Having a unified Interface doesn't mean you have to be so ridge in you windowing.

I don't like the graph editor and have said so in the past. The old way was better and cleaner! You could see the relationship of two layers keyframes and get really nice velocity and motion. Plus the Shift+F3 is a stretch as a key command. Each layer should have independent graph editors.

I don't mind it so much. What I don't like is only having a dedicated graph window that takes over the comp window. It's such an interruption to the workflow. I honestly wonder who tests this stuff and says "Yeah, that's great! Put it in a different window so I can't see it." I could see it in an entirely separate window (kind of like the Maya graph editor)

I like the functionality of it, but I think they missed the mark in terms of the practicality of it.

Totally agreed. I have actually found the graph editor useful for camera moves in certain cases, when you're trying to keep camera speed constant or über-smooth. It definitely takes some getting used to, especially when comparing to f-curves in Cinema 4D and having X,Y, and Z broken out into individual curves. I kinda like having a speed graph for position keyframes. Couple the speed graph with roving keyframes & decent bezier motion path tuning, and animating in AE's graph editor becomes pretty intuitive as long as you can get past some of the oddities.

Different strokes for different folks! If you really, really hate the speed graph, you can always achieve a graph editor with X,Y, and Z broken out through expressions & sliders!! :) It does come in handy when you have an object oscillating in one axis while moving at a constant speed in another axis.