Sign in to follow this  
stuartambient

illustrator to ae: this can't be happening (copy and paste)

This is either a bug or aliens have taken over my computer.

I've drawn out some paths in Illustrator , actually I'm following along with Ko's total training.

So pretty simple ellipse with a few paths. Select all, copy .......then go into AE to paste

Now the paste option is finally enabled (see i waited before freaking out)

Yet it's not pasting in the mask from illustrator.

This is all CS3. I really hate to bring such basic questions here but this is plain weird.

TIA

Stuart

This is either a bug or aliens have taken over my computer.

I've drawn out some paths in Illustrator , actually I'm following along with Ko's total training.

So pretty simple ellipse with a few paths. Select all, copy .......then go into AE to paste

Now the paste option is finally enabled (see i waited before freaking out)

Yet it's not pasting in the mask from illustrator.

This is all CS3. I really hate to bring such basic questions here but this is plain weird.

TIA

Stuart

I've checked the windows clipboard and the paths are making it there.

Just not into ae.

Thats odd works fine here.

I suppose you are trying to paste on a excising layer ( which is selected? )

Yes, totally bizarre. I mean it comes into the clipboard, I can see the paths there. If I try to paste it into a layer in AE, another layer is created with the color bars saying "Original Source Deleted".

I tried both ACIB settings in Illustrator prefs, though the correct one is preserve appearence ......... which it's set too now though it seems to make no difference.

Got to be something weird in AE going on. I have no problem pasting them into Photoshop. WTF ..... this is not good.

Stuart

I tried both ACIB settings in Illustrator prefs, though the correct one is preserve appearence .........

I'm actually not on CS3 yet so this may be moot, but the correct preference for Illustrator CS2 is preserve paths ...

I'm actually not on CS3 yet so this may be moot, but the correct preference for Illustrator CS2 is preserve paths ...

Yep same way in CS3 also. Anyway, what a hoot , I restarted AE and all of a sudden the paths come in like they should.

Very odd, and I'm still convinced something is buggy in AE. If I could get them into Photoshop , or back into Illustrator then AE must of had some weird clipboard malfunction.

Sorry people

Stuart