Sign in to follow this  
danb

Using footage for mograph?

New to mograph sort of. I've been taking the past 4 months in studying motion graphics. I got all the recomended books on Mograph. I am very confident in my AE and C4D skills, so now i want to start DOING.

So now i need to find a resource where i can download some material to use in creating my first motion graphics pieces. Should i just record footage of the TV and make idents or motion graphics based on the video? So for instance if the footage is of a tv show like "Rides" i should make some mograph based on cars? Or take clips from music videos and make mtv graphics? Etc...Etc...?

Or are there resources like generic video, that i can download, where i can make mograph based on those?

I'm ready to go i just don't know where to start.

Thanks for any help.

So now i need to find a resource where i can download some material to use in creating my first motion graphics pieces. Should i just record footage of the TV and make idents or motion graphics based on the video? So for instance if the footage is of a tv show like "Rides" i should make some mograph based on cars? Or take clips from music videos and make mtv graphics? Etc...Etc...?

Or are there resources like generic video, that i can download, where i can make mograph based on those?

If you just want to experiment with some footage and not use it for commercial purposes, your options are pretty wide open. However, if you intend to use footage for commercial purposes (and that includes promoting yourself commercially, say, with a demo reel), you'll need to be careful about copyright and license restrictions on the footage that you use.

I like to use footage from www.archive.org for my own play and experimentation, and I try to only use the items that are explicitly labeled as being in the public domain. That way, if I do end up using the work later for some commercial purpose, I don't run the risk of forgetting that I've included some copyright-protected material.

Here's a link to one of my favorite clips: Lunchroom Manners . Notice the Creative Commons Public Domain license indicator on the summary web page for this clip.

Of course, if you're in the market to buy/license some footage, then the restrictions (other than financial) aren't such a problem. Art Beats is a good resource for stock footage of many kinds.

Also, there are some sites dedicated to very specific kinds of stock footage, like fire, explosions, and muzzle flashes. (Detonation Films is my personal favorite of these. They have free SD stuff. The HD stuff costs money.) You can usually find stock footage that suits a particular purpose just by searching for "stock footage" plus whatever specific term. There's a lot out there, and a lot of it is free.

Even if you do use free, public-domain footage, it's courteous to give some kind of attribution to the site or people that provided it to you.

BTW, the opinions expressed here are entirely my own and are not meant to represent my employer, Adobe Systems.

If you just want to experiment with some footage and not use it for commercial purposes, your options are pretty wide open. However, if you intend to use footage for commercial purposes (and that includes promoting yourself commercially, say, with a demo reel), you'll need to be careful about copyright and license restrictions on the footage that you use.

I like to use footage from www.archive.org for my own play and experimentation, and I try to only use the items that are explicitly labeled as being in the public domain. That way, if I do end up using the work later for some commercial purpose, I don't run the risk of forgetting that I've included some copyright-protected material.

Here's a link to one of my favorite clips: Lunchroom Manners . Notice the Creative Commons Public Domain license indicator on the summary web page for this clip.

Of course, if you're in the market to buy/license some footage, then the restrictions (other than financial) aren't such a problem. Art Beats is a good resource for stock footage of many kinds.

Also, there are some sites dedicated to very specific kinds of stock footage, like fire, explosions, and muzzle flashes. (Detonation Films is my personal favorite of these. They have free SD stuff. The HD stuff costs money.) You can usually find stock footage that suits a particular purpose just by searching for "stock footage" plus whatever specific term. There's a lot out there, and a lot of it is free.

Even if you do use free, public-domain footage, it's courteous to give some kind of attribution to the site or people that provided it to you.

BTW, the opinions expressed here are entirely my own and are not meant to represent my employer, Adobe Systems.

Thank you very much Todd. This is exactly the information i was hoping to find. Very helpful. I will only be using any footage i find to show that i can do motion graphics. I will cite any and all video as needed.

You should have an idea what you want to make before you even decide if you need footage or not. Are you inspired by anything in real life, or are you just going to re-hash someone else's effects and use someone else's footage?

It's great that you've taken the time to learn the tools, that's a great start, but make sure you take an equal if not greater amount of time developing your creative toolset.