Sign in to follow this  
coachaviv

FCP's Motion

can you do good motion graphics like the following link in FCP's Motion?

http://www.daveswain.tv/

i'm curious what people's take is on this - obviously After effets is the standard and Motion just now added 3D. so is the new motion have what it takes to do such work as the examples in the site i wrote down?

thanks in advance

-coach

Guest Sao_Bento
can you do good motion graphics like the following link in FCP's Motion?

http://www.daveswain.tv/

i'm curious what people's take is on this - obviously After effets is the standard and Motion just now added 3D. so is the new motion have what it takes to do such work as the examples in the site i wrote down?

thanks in advance

-coach

Technically, you could do most of it with Motion, but it's definitely not the best tool for the job. Motion is made as a support app for people who's primary focus is FCP. It's good for one-at-a-time stuff, but it's sorely lacking for projects that are complex. I've spent a lot of time trying to make it work, but it's still not a substitute for AE at this point.

He's right. If you know any cool tricks with After Effects, then Motion will only frustrate you. However, as far as creating animated backplates goes, it's got quick drawing and animation tools that are fine for an editor to whip out when s/he needs some quick graphics. The replicator tool that creates an array of a mask object is actually quite handy for making crazy whooshing anime backgrounds.

I reckon you should get AE or go somewhere you can pick it up - it really can do pretty much anything you can imagine. Except 3D geometry. Even then there's the 3D Invigorator plugin...Motion just isn't comparable in terms of versatility.

thanks for the info! that's dissapointing news for me of course. I thought i heard that all the particle elements in motion are things that you would have to create in AE.

I'm pretty good at picking up and learning programs on my own quite quickly - can i do that with AE (learn it on my own) at a reasonable pace and do some impressive work (with practice of course) or are courses recomended? I think i might have found a course which lasts several months - i'm wondering if i should go for it or just learn it on my own?

The neat thing that I like to use Motion for is it's particle effects (as was mentioned), which you can then render out and use in AE!

I like to think of it as a complimentary tool, not a replacement.

The new templating features where you can have a motion template, use in Final Cut, and be able to edit text in that motion template right in Final cut... Well, that's dope...

I find Motion to be a really nice app for generating elements but AE is still the boss for project compilation. There are aspects of Motion I would like to see in AE as a matter of fact but, AE is still too robust for pulling it all together. Version 3 of Motion has added some depth but mostly just adding more features and not much in terms of project management.

-gl