Sign in to follow this  
vicnorman

I've made it to Sydney!

Hello peeps. I just relocated myself from Stockholm, Sweden to Manly (well, probably, it seems like a nice place to live), Sydney, OZ!

So now it looks like i'll be needing a job, man it's pricey here. Almost as bad as Sweden! So I thought I might drop my fellow motiongraphers a line here and see whats what:

Where's a good site to look for Mograph/graphic design jobs? Is your producer/art director friend in need of a handy and graphically inclined Swede?

What agencies and boutiques should I be sending my reel to? (off the top of my jetlagged head, I can only think of Animal logic, anyone here working there?)

Should I get a shave and wear a black suit and tie if i get called to an interview?

Should I get myself a manager? If so, where do I find one?

Is my reel gonna cut it, or should I be applying to Hungry Jacks instead?

Showreel here

Thanks for any and all help!

Oh, and if any of you are in the Manly area, I'd love to meet up for a chat!!

Victor

Yeah your reel is good enough to get an interview....most places will only be interested in you from a freelance point of view.....what's your visa situation...working holiday etc?

Send them a link to your reel and a link to downloadable pdf of your C.V. If you haven't heard back from people in a week of sending your reel give them a call....they are generally pretty slack.

The Australians are pretty casual but there's no need to look like a bum, so have a shave and wear clean clothes..but a suit is too much.

Oh and P.S. The expense of living in Sydney isn't gonna be your major concern, staying alive will be your biggest problem.....everything in Australia either wants to eat you or at the very least kill you. ;)

Goodluck

Sydney:

www.thelabsydney.com.au

www.common.com.au

www.postmodernsydney.com

www.tactic.com.au

www.tequila.com.au

www.picturedrift.com.au

www.engine.net.au

www.xy-1.com

www.umeric.com

www.inkproject.com

www.resolutiondesign.com.au

www.collider.com.au

www.animallogic.com

www.mesh22.com

www.zspace.com.au

www.emeraldcitydesign.com

Melbourne

www.xyzstudios.com

www. activemotion.com.au

www.qubekonstrukt.com

www.sputnicagency.com

www.solid-creative.com

www.reflectormedia.com.au

Oh and P.S. The expense of living in Sydney isn't gonna be your major concern, staying alive will be your biggest problem.....everything in Australia either wants to eat you or at the very least kill you. ;)

:unsure: Really?

You'll find work for sure.

More importantly, it's BYOB to most restaurants! Manly is awesome!

Edit: I think you should go into interviews eating a pouch of these, and be like "This is pretty much all we eat in Sweden.":

swedish-fish_LRG.jpg

:unsure: Really?

Yeah the place is full of stuff just waiting for you to be separated from the group........even the cute stuff is dangerous...if you see a koala or platypus in your travels.....slowly walk the other way. oh yeah and then there's also Chopper Read...... ;)

If you are looking to work on features in any capacity look into Rising Sun Pictures. I have a couple good friends there, great work and very positive place to work by all accounts.

-m

-just checked, they are hiring right now.

Edited by 26thfloor

Edit: I think you should go into interviews eating a pouch of these, and be like "This is pretty much all we eat in Sweden.":

swedish-fish_LRG.jpg

In terms of work attire, make sure to tell them that all Swedes dress like Jesper Parnevik.

527666_LR.jpg

btw- dope reel

Edited by ynaka

Wicked. Thanks so much for the tips. Yes, in fact, the orange slacks/baby blue lindeberg getup with extra large sock inna crotch is all the rage in Sweden. I was planning on something along those lines anyway.

As for the Swedish fish, no go. All we eat is meatballs. And i'll be sure to bring some of those.

Victor

The Conscience Org. are nice peeps and when I was jobbing in Sydney for a few months to pay for the drive/goon back to Perth I got a few weeks on and off...

www.theconscience.org

try Nuvu, too.

Good luck, am mucho jealous!

Ok so the reel is back up, if anyone is still checking this post.

Also i'd like to add that the east coast is farking beautiful and if you're the camping type definitely hit up point plomer and stradbroke island. good times.