Sign in to follow this  
flow

citygen c4d plugin

i once had this plugin for c4d called citygen ... it was downloadable at tools4d.com ... which is unfortunately down now ... does anybody still got that? and does it work on the latest release of c4d?

thanks!

you can get it at c4dportal.com (in the plugins section)

works with Mac C4DR9 - does not, will never work with R10

don't know about what versions on PC - maybe R10?

the developer - Paul Everett - has stated he won't ever touch it again (though the rumor is that he is now a secret Maxon programmer, maybe we'll see something similar in the app someday)

Edited by mikeh64

you can get it at c4dportal.com (in the plugins section)

works with Mac C4DR9 - does not, will never work with R10

don't know about what versions on PC - maybe R10?

the developer - Paul Everett - has stated he won't ever touch it again (though the rumor is that he is now a secret Maxon programmer, maybe we'll see something similar in the app someday)

thanks!

CityGen is still one of the most impressive plugs I've seen for C4D. Even though I've never really used it for anything, it's just a great implementation of the idea.

Every time I used it, it gave me a city just good enough that I could never use it in production. I ended up building my own buildings anyway, or reworking whatever buildings it gave me. I'm not fond of Paul's attitude about all this stuff either. He used to create stuff that crashed a lot (Solid Splines Pro on v7.303 on the Mac was a train wreck). Now he gives curt, downright rude answers to people who ask about his support going forward. If there was anyone I wouldn't want working at Maxon, it'd be that guy. Whenever the mograph module crashes, and that's sometimes ten times a day, I think back to his name attached to its coding. No secret--he was definitely involved.

This has been another exercise in writing stuff on mograph that I'd never allow myself to write on CGTalk.

And I could be completely full of doo-doo.

Govinda: D - I - T - T - O

Like many, I supported his work and he bailed... and yes, rude at that. Thankfully, the vast majority of C4D developers are damn awesome. It makes up for the few that make you wish you never wasted your time/money.

-m

Guest Sao_Bento
Every time I used it, it gave me a city just good enough that I could never use it in production. I ended up building my own buildings anyway, or reworking whatever buildings it gave me. I'm not fond of Paul's attitude about all this stuff either. He used to create stuff that crashed a lot (Solid Splines Pro on v7.303 on the Mac was a train wreck). Now he gives curt, downright rude answers to people who ask about his support going forward. If there was anyone I wouldn't want working at Maxon, it'd be that guy. Whenever the mograph module crashes, and that's sometimes ten times a day, I think back to his name attached to its coding. No secret--he was definitely involved.

This has been another exercise in writing stuff on mograph that I'd never allow myself to write on CGTalk.

And I could be completely full of doo-doo.

Over there, the thread would be locked before you could finish typing it anyway.

Over there, the thread would be locked before you could finish typing it anyway.

Not by me :)

I would ask for the crashreports. By far the most crashreports we get here at MAXON are caused by plugins. Mograph is very low on the list of trouble causing items.

Cheers

Björn

Whew, I got off lightly! I saw that Srek had replied, and I thought I was going into the doghouse. He knows exactly how full of doo-doo I am, but he held back.

Hi -

Paul has been nice enough to allow us to post it on our site:

http://www.c4dtraining.com

It's in the tutorials section under the multiple camera tutorial.

i once had this plugin for c4d called citygen ... it was downloadable at tools4d.com ... which is unfortunately down now ... does anybody still got that? and does it work on the latest release of c4d?

thanks!

wow, i got to say, i never even bothered trying that plugin before, but it makes some pretty nice results. I mean yeah it's not to be used in production as is. But a great starting point when you need to generate some cities, quickly.

nowdays probs easier to use a combination of mograph with a random effector, but this is cool too.

I loaded R9 to use City Gen and then made them models to import into R11. They work fine for distant stuff or fast fly through. Higher ploy are need for up close work. I would be a dick too if someone kept emailing me during my WoW sessions!

Old plugins stopped working when Macs went from PPC to Intel, and also when Cinema went from 32 bit to 64 bit, as both these transitions need rewrites or recompiles. If your version of Cinema allows you to run in Rosetta on the Mac, or 32 bit on either platform, you might have a chance of using an old plugin.