Sign in to follow this  
reelfour

Expressions on one axis only

Howdy.

Realise this could be a fundamental lesson, but how can I apply an expression to one 3D axis only?

Specifically, I want to wiggle the y-position only on a 3D layer.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy.

Realise this could be a fundamental lesson, but how can I apply an expression to one 3D axis only?

Specifically, I want to wiggle the y-position only on a 3D layer.

Thanks in advance.

This example, on a three-dimensional property, wiggles only along the y axis:

freq = 3;

amp = 50;

w = wiggle(freq,amp);

[value[0],w[1],value[2]];

BTW, this example (for a two-dimensional property) is in After Effects Help: "Property attributes and methods"

This example, on a three-dimensional property, wiggles only along the y axis:

freq = 3;

amp = 50;

w = wiggle(freq,amp);

[value[0],w[1],value[2]];

BTW, this example (for a two-dimensional property) is in After Effects Help: "Property attributes and methods"

A different way to understand this is like the modified version below. Wiggle adds variance to each piece of the property, indepently. If it is an array and has multiple values that make up the property (like 3d orientation), each dimension of the array will wiggle. So, you need to reference one piece of the array. Array's are numbered 0, 1, 2, etc.. for each piece. Therefore X orientation is dimension number 0, Y is number 1, Z is number 2. That's why we grab w[1] for the Y axis.

"value" for a 3D orientation property is also a 3 dimension array. The arrays add together in order: [1,2,3] + [1,2,3] = [2,4,6]

freq = 3;

amp = 50;

w = wiggle(freq,amp);

y = w[1];

value + [0, y, 0] // this equals: [ value[0], value[1],value[2] ] + [ 0, y, 0 ]

So, how would I link a simple expression to only follow another layers, say, x axis?

This is driving me crazy.

Thanks.

Jimmy

A different way to understand this is like the modified version below. Wiggle adds variance to each piece of the property, indepently. If it is an array and has multiple values that make up the property (like 3d orientation), each dimension of the array will wiggle. So, you need to reference one piece of the array. Array's are numbered 0, 1, 2, etc.. for each piece. Therefore X orientation is dimension number 0, Y is number 1, Z is number 2. That's why we grab w[1] for the Y axis.

"value" for a 3D orientation property is also a 3 dimension array. The arrays add together in order: [1,2,3] + [1,2,3] = [2,4,6]

freq = 3;

amp = 50;

w = wiggle(freq,amp);

y = w[1];

value + [0, y, 0] // this equals: [ value[0], value[1],value[2] ] + [ 0, y, 0 ]

Get the lessons from Harry, on tool farm. They are very affordable. What you pay out and what you get back is VERY lopsided. What you learn from the lessons will send you down roads you didn't know where there. No Harry DID not pay me. But I purchased both volumes and it is TOTALLY worth it.

Viva La Gray Machine!!!

Get the lessons from Harry, on tool farm. They are very affordable. What you pay out and what you get back is VERY lopsided. What you learn from the lessons will send you down roads you didn't know where there. No Harry DID not pay me. But I purchased both volumes and it is TOTALLY worth it.

Viva La Gray Machine!!!

Viva La Gray Machine!!!

Wow thanks!! Almost makes me want to leave both posts... I'll let someone else delete them.. :)

so..why does this always move the y position that i already have keyframed in? i tried what bit of script knowledge i have..adding + in the y=..?? any help appreciated..totally gonna order the dvd's (tax return..haha)...i actually just stumbled across greymachine the other day and all the stuff is amazing! thanks

update: so i figure dout that its a combo of the freq and amp..tweaking gets it, but i dont really fully grasp what each one is doing..anywho...thanks for helpful insight!

Edited by proxemics