Sign in to follow this  
govinda

Leopard - The Reviews

I don't think there has ever been a problem with the upgrade install. I just like starting from zero. It gives you a level of certainty that you just can't find any other way. I don't even install anything but the core system. Some people complain that it takes too much time, but you only have to do it once... after you've got a good base... clone the drive immediately. It's a method I've been using for a few years and it has always served me well. I have far fewer system issues than my peers.

-m

What's new with Boot Camp that makes it a must?

Final drivers and that Bootcamp is not going to expire, so if I need to reinstall Windows I have to get Leopard. And of course the possibility of having a few issues fixed such as the Bluetooth keyboard problem and a bunch of others.

Guest Sao_Bento
Some people complain that it takes too much time, but you only have to do it once...

The straight upgrade took plenty of time - I'd say it took around 2 hours. Speaking of time, the apps seem to launch slower than they did with 10.4 which is quite frustrating.

Edit: unrelated update. In Leopard, you can have h.264 with alpha channels. I've been testing it by dropping C4D rendered QuickTimes into Keynote - h.264 is not exactly a production codec. It works well. The only gotcha is that the alpha has to be premultiplied to avoid fringing.

Useful tip to get rid of the glass look of the dock (those light bulbs telling the app is launched are so ugly):

In terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

then restart the dock

killall Dock

(to get back: defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO )

you'll get a sort of tiger dock but darker with a useless heavy border around it.

IMO there some slight readability problems in leopard. The dock, pile stacks as mentionned when you have a busy desktop, icon folder are too dark with a white background. Leopard feels darker and more contrast. But some features like transparency are starting to compete with functionality.

Welcome improvements:

-Rounded drop menu

-crispier overall antialiasing (or maybe i'm wrong)

-preview is much faster with large pdf.

-useful shortcuts to organize your desktop/folders (arrange by type: control+command 5)

Edited by jan

Spaces seemed a bit complicated to use because it adds a new set of shortcuts

A natural way to use it is to use command+tab. It switches automatically if you set mail onto another screen for example.

Guest Sao_Bento
IMO there some slight readability problems in leopard. The dock, pile stacks as mentionned when you have a busy desktop, icon folder are too dark with a white background. Leopard feels darker and more contrast. But some features like transparency are starting to compete with functionality.

Welcome improvements:

-Rounded drop menu

-crispier overall antialiasing (or maybe i'm wrong)

-preview is much faster with large pdf.

-useful shortcuts to organize your desktop/folders (arrange by type: control+command 5)

I was surprised at some of the UI as well. The Finder menu bar's semi-transparency is annoying at best. To me, the rounded corners of the menus are sign of poor project management - is Leopard so perfect that they couldn't find anything better to improve?

Spaces seemed a bit complicated to use because it adds a new set of shortcuts

A natural way to use it is to use command+tab. It switches automatically if you set mail onto another screen for example.

Well it actually already works like that (using command tab).

You need the extra spaces commands because sometimes you want to move to a particular space when and application may not be open. What absolutely sucks though is fact that the windows wrap around to the row below. Bastards! I used to love to set up my virtual desktops like this:

[AE][Finder][C4D]

With a standard wrap I could be in C4D and move one window to the right and be in AE. That meant that you were able to switch between [AE<->C4D] or [AE<->Finder] or [C4D<->Finder] by only moving one step to the left or the right. I'm sure someone thought they were doing me a huge favor by wrapping to the next line, but it is yet another example of Apple reducing a 2 dimensional interface to a linear one. :(

-m

EDIT: Oh and thank you so much for the dock tip! I was about to stab myself in the eyes.

Edited by the_Monkey

Guest Sao_Bento
Did anybody manage to run AE CS3 on leopard or do we have to wait until december when adobe releases AE CS3 leo compatibility?

It runs, but apparently there could be some unexpected behavior. Honestly, Leopard is Apple's Vista. it's got some cool stuff, but it also seems to really bog down randomly. It takes forever to start, apps launch very slowly, etc. I'm sticking with Mac OSX 10.4 XP on my production machines until I hear that things have smoothed out.

It runs, but apparently there could be some unexpected behavior. Honestly, Leopard is Apple's Vista. it's got some cool stuff, but it also seems to really bog down randomly. It takes forever to start, apps launch very slowly, etc. I'm sticking with Mac OSX 10.4 XP on my production machines until I hear that things have smoothed out.

Did you do a fresh install? What's your configuration?

Mine runs like a charm and much speedier than tiger. It starts up faster than tiger and apps launch much quicker too here.

Spotlight is now superquick and quicklook is so cool for previewing media and other documents.

Guest Sao_Bento
As punishment for your blasphemy we should make you use Vista. ;)

I think that's just your machine/install. Leopard runs noticeably faster on my 8 core.

-m

Could be. This is just on my laptop (17" MacBook 2.3Ghz). As I say, Leopard is faster in some areas, slower than others. I was the test monkey for doing an "upgrade" install, so that could be it as well.

Guest Sao_Bento
upgrade? that's probably your problem, sao. archive & install is the best option, it's a fresh install but leaves everything you need in a "previous system" folder that you can later delete.

Like I say, it was an experiment, but IMHO, not being able to do a straight upgrade and have your machine work properly is bullshit and reflects poorly on Apple. I'll do a clean install when the weekend rolls around and see if it's any better.

Another solution is too make a clone of your system using copy carbon cloner which is free and then use the migration assistant tool to reimport your account into a fresh installed system.

Be careful, if you do that, not to create an account which has the same name as your previous account, because if do you'll have to change it when you'll re-import. This method is equivalent to archive and install of course but you have a full working backup.

The problem with the upgrade BSOD people were getting was because of Application Enhancer. I uninstalled it before I installed Leopard. But still I went with the Archive and install. Even though I read that both "upgrade" and "archive and install" are basically the same...?