Sign in to follow this  
Philipstudios

VISTA, XP 64, Quad-Core VS After Effects and 3D Max 8

Hello guys,

That's my first post on this board. Because HD format is knocking at the door - more and more projects require 1920 x 1080.

I have to upgrade my system, but there are 3 constrains/options at that moment :

Operating system :

• Windows XP or Windows XP 64 or VISTA - is After Effects 7.0 / 3D Max 8 able to use that 64bit feature when they will be rendering ? Any know crashes and other compatibility issues ?

Processor :

• WS DUAL XEON X5365 3.0GHz, 8MB cache, 1.33 GHz FSB (Quad-Core) - I know that quad-cores processors requires 64 bit operating systems ; good for After Effects 7 ?

Hard Drives configuration :

• What type of RAID would you advise me to set-up ? I have already a RAID 0 on my laptop. Are other types of RAID much faster/safer - I don't know much about these configurations except that data is written in simultaneous on at least 2 hard drives to gain speed (I've seen there are 5 types of RAIDs).

RAM Memory :

• What kind of operating system allows me to fully use 4 Gb of RAM ? I heard that Windows XP is not using more than 3 Gb.

VIDEO CARD :

• Nvidia Quadro series seems to be the best - any known driver issues with some models that I should stay away from ?

In conclusion what system I should buy in order to support 3D application and compositing for HD ?

Thank you in advance for your advices !

Edited by Philipstudios

Operating system :
  • Windows XP or Windows XP 64 or VISTA - is After Effects 7.0 / 3D Max 8 able to use that 64bit feature when they will be rendering ? Any know crashes and other compatibility issues ?

You must be frakkin' kidding to include Vista in that list. AE7 won't run reliably on it and that is that, as they say. Might be the same for MAX. I only know that MAX 2008 is officially qualified, not any version befor.

Processor :

• WS DUAL XEON X5365 3.0GHz, 8MB cache, 1.33 GHz FSB (Quad-Core) - I know that quad-cores processors requires 64 bit operating systems ; good for After Effects 7 ?

AE7 doesn't care. Without NucleoPro it will never use 4 cores

RAM Memory :

[*]What kind of operating system allows me to fully use 4 Gb of RAM ? I heard that Windows XP is not using more than 3 Gb.

These questions have been answered many times over here and elsewhere, but frankly why are you even considering a 64 bit OS if you only want to get 4GB of RAM? That's kind of an contradiction. All 32bit progs will use full 4GB on 64 bit systems, but only 3GB on 32bit OSs. Win XP itself will see ful l4GB, but always reserve 1 GB for kernel memory, so other progs can't use that.

In conclusion what system I should buy in order to support 3D application and compositing for HD ?

Not the one you had in mind and you have laid out here. Frankly, you haven't done your homework and are blinded by supposed speed gains in hardware when your software isn't up to snuff. What you should get:

System a (Without any software investments in Nucleo, AE and MAX):

Win XP 32

1xDualcore

4GB of RAM

System b (with NucleoPro)

Win XP 64

2xQuadcore

8 GB RAM min., better 12 or 16

NucleoPro

For the graphics card a medium range Quadro will do. Even a one of the 4xxx series might still be good enough, atr least for AE, if only it comes at a cheap enough price.

As for the rest - I strongly advise to stay away from Vista. It's nothing but trouble. Also seriously consider compromising and updating your software before making any final decisions on buying hardware that will only sit idle and never boost your performance.

Mylenium

I think this post qualifies as 'doing the homework.' ;)

so, what's wrong with that ? :rolleyes:

Mylenium & Sam Hyde - thank for your answers.

Now I have a more futuristic question - should we join VISTA movement or should we stick with XP just like some people are still sticking with Win 2000 ?

Is VISTA stable enough ?

I rememeber everytime Microsoft launches a new Windows edition is a mess How many resources Vista consumes ; will you still have enough room to run 3D Max and After Effects smoothly ?

Edited by Philipstudios

Nothing is wrong with that!

Mylenium is hotheaded sometimes :)

I use both AE and 3DS Max (btw, got 2008 in the mail on friday!) and I use 32 bit windows xp. I heard of a bunch of instability issues with Vista. Right now, with xp, I don't have a problem, and I work and render HD stuff out all the time. I've got 4 gigs of ram and a Quadro 4500.

Once Vista is tested more, maybe I'll make the switch, but for now, I see no need to.

As for hard drives, I have a 500Gig Raid 1 and a WD Raptor for my system drive. A RAID 5 or a 1+0 would be ideal...but I dont really feel the need right now.

Edited by KGB

Now I have a more futuristic question - should we join VISTA movement or should we stick with XP just like some people are still sticking with Win 2000 ?

Is VISTA stable enough ?

I wouldn't. As a minor, you should wait for the first Service Pack which is due early next year and see how things evolve from there. Stability is not so much an issue as is the driver environment and security mechanisms which prevent many things from working. The Service Pack will bring some changes to that and you will have to wait until e.g. graphics card manufacturers take advantage of the fixes. So if you intend to buy yet another computer mid next year it may be okay, but currently I'd avoid it like the plague as deedee so nicely said.

Mylenium

True. But that's why you all love me so much, is it not? ;o)

Mylenium

That and that awesome accent you got. :)

Oh and that is what I'm planning on doing, wating for updates, seeing the effect.

I love new technology, but I def dont jump on it, no matter who it is, Vista, iPhone...etc..etc.. I'm still waiting to see what the problems with Leopard will be for the Mac guys.

Edited by KGB

To clear up or confuse (depending on how you look at it), Max 9 saw the release of a 32bit and a 64bit version. I also believe that Max has been long supporting multi cpu processing which I believe includes multi core processing. As far as video cards go for Max, it has always been able to run on the crappiest of cards, of course for a better viewport experience you can't go wrong with a workstation card like the quadro, but any gaming card will do you right.

So is anyone here running these apps on Vista and can attest to the stability? I'm aware that Vista is still in it's early stages and can be sketchy, but I've read alot of mixed reviews, i'd like to get some firsthand opinions.

Mental Ray supports multi core, but the modifiers, interface, etc....looks like they do not. I dont know if they rewrote them for 3ds max 2008, but it would be good to see those get a boost from multi core processing.

Take it back....found fix for my vista flash.

I got my quad last week...pretty happy.....It has Vista ,,,not so happy.It was a real pleasure to see 4 lines of render working together to get my render done, it was also nice to have the render time 4 times faster(6 min on dual core vs 1.28 on quad).But my friendly advice is STAY AWAY form Vista.Since I got it I feel like I`m a beta tester running around all over the Internet to find the latest updates to flash or hot-fixes on Microsoft. .If anyone has an old XP in a dusty corner ...let me know.I`ll ditch the bitch :blink:

Edited by stoiqa