Sign in to follow this  
martober

UK cycle scheme: half off any new bike

If you work for a UK employer you could save 50% off the cost of a new bike.

The government wants to encourage you to ride to work so they have initiated a bunch of tax cuts to make the saving.

If you go here and type in what you want to buy you can see the savings instantly

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride2work.jsp?item_id=423

The cost of the bike comes out of your pay packet so you won't even notice it.

Never wait for a bus ever again and get your nose out of that guy's armpit on the tube.

You could even buy a fixed gear.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride2work.jsp

Do any other countries do this?

Do any other countries do this?

In the US anyone suggesting this would be accused of 'Pandering to the Critical Mass crowd.' Our discourse is indeed that retarded. (It wouldn't be Critical Mass because hardly anyone knows who that is, but there'd be some kind of lame push-back.)

Sad but true..

In the US anyone suggesting this would be accused of 'Pandering to the Critical Mass crowd.' Our discourse is indeed that retarded. (It wouldn't be Critical Mass because hardly anyone knows who that is, but there'd be some kind of lame push-back.)

Here in the UK our roads are quite bendy and narrow which isn't that great for car driving. They will never change because all the buildings inbetween are too old and valuable. Also the London Underground is nearly 150 years old so it's a bit of a nightmare. Half price bikes make up for this a bit. All we need are some bike lanes and for the rain to stop and we'd be OK.

That would be great, except for the fact that I work for myself and have had 2 bikes knicked from outside the station in the past 4 months, got camera's bristling all over the place, but noone actually watching them. The first time I rang the Transport Police and they mentioned that someone had been spotted wandering about with some bolt cutters, but of course noone followed him or anything. The first one was a nice bike too, the second cheapest in the shop! So much for public transport!

the cycle to work scheme is utterly brilliant! My shiny new specialized allez is a godsend (cutting my commute by 20 minutes), that I would never have been able to budget for otherwise... Hopefully this will be picked up by loads more companies and more councils will take notice of all the extra cyclists and make the roads a bit more bike friendly. Our company used tredz

There is a different type of cycle scheme in Paris. You pay £20 a year to access special bike ranks across the city that are funded by advertising. According to this article they have become excellent pick up areas.

times_pick_up_lines.jpg