Sign in to follow this  
graphic_display

Cinema vs Maya

Id like to hear an vicious debate about which program is better. i know this is a vague question - i am hoping to hear a variety of arguments.

in addition what do people think about the future of 3D apps. will apple buy maxon to combine with motion and shake? let the speculation fly!

Guest Sao_Bento
Id like to hear an vicious debate about which program is better. i know this is a vague question - i am hoping to hear a variety of arguments.

in addition what do people think about the future of 3D apps. will apple buy maxon to combine with motion and shake? let the speculation fly!

This is the kind of thing we generally try to discourage here, because it goes nowhere. CGTalk is all ready filled to the tip top with arguments about what the best 3D app is. Asking this kind of stuff is akin to asking people which religion is best. For most of the people who reply to it, it is a religion (as they tend to be hobbyists). For the working professionals, there is no easy answer.

In the professional realm, the best tool is the one that is best for what you're trying to accomplish. Both the apps you are talking about have free demos and both have online galleries and user communities that show what they're capable of - download the trial versions and find out which one you like.

The legendary "Rust Boy" seems to exist solely to show that the 3D app you use has little to do with making good stuff - http://rustboy.com/

This is the kind of thing we generally try to discourage here, because it goes nowhere. CGTalk is all ready filled to the tip top with arguments about what the best 3D app is. Asking this kind of stuff is akin to asking people which religion is best. For most of the people who reply to it, it is a religion (as they tend to be hobbyists). For the working professionals, there is no easy answer.

In the professional realm, the best tool is the one that is best for what you're trying to accomplish. Both the apps you are talking about have free demos and both have online galleries and user communities that show what they're capable of - download the trial versions and find out which one you like.

The legendary "Rust Boy" seems to exist solely to show that the 3D app you use has little to do with making good stuff - http://rustboy.com/

alrighty then.

It's all about who is using the program more then which program it is. They can all achieve the same end result more or less you know. and once you know all the shortcuts in one you don't bother using another one. I'm a 3D Max slut myself so I pick that over all others!

After many years worrying about this same question, the comclusion I've come to is that the best 3D app is the one you best know how to use. They are all very powerfull, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, and really, you can get great results with any of the major 3D apps providing you know how to tame it.

That being said, I happen to be a longtime Maya user. I really like the open-ended nature of Maya. For some reason, nodes and construction history just speak to me. I like that I can see what's happening under the surface to some extent, and I feel like I've gotten to the point where I've started to think in Maya when it comes to projects.

On the other hand, Maya doesn't give you much help in the motion graphics area, importing an image onto a plane, for example, is a multi-step process (although you could write a MEL script to automate this, I suppose). I feel like this is one area where C4D has Maya beat. they have a set of tools targeted directly toward creating Motion Graphics, and I often find myself looking on C4D with envy for this reason.

Really what it comes down to though is, use whatever you feel the most comfortable using. Try them both out, see what you think, and pick a path. You'll be fine either way.

On the other hand, Maya doesn't give you much help in the motion graphics area, importing an image onto a plane, for example, is a multi-step process (although you could write a MEL script to automate this, I suppose). I feel like this is one area where C4D has Maya beat. they have a set of tools targeted directly toward creating Motion Graphics, and I often find myself looking on C4D with envy for this reason.

word.

Edited by graphic_display

I wish this forums software had a system that checks for related or similar topics. Like digg.com when you post something it finds things that are similar to what you are trying to post. Especially for people like me who are guilty of being a day late and a dollar short when it comes to current posts!