Sign in to follow this  
butler

New macbook pros and mac pros NEXT WEEK!

This is probably one of the least significant speed boosts to the top end ever - we have waited a year for a 1.2x speed up?

I guess Moore's law is beginning to level out.

I am not really complaining, as I may get the new 3.0 model and save quite a lot of money, plus get a machine that is less likely to burn a hole through my desk.

Yeah, that's about 10% comparing the top of the line 3.2 to the top of the line 3.0...or 7% comparing 3.0 (new) to 3.0 (old).

Few upsides on the new Mac Pro's: 45nm CPU's, faster FSB, higher L2 cache, eats less power (means less heat), better graphic card options, SSE4, higher stock ram, lower price.

That's about it.

You can't go wrong with the new Mac Pro's. Get the 3.0 instead of the 3.2, save a bit of money. 0.2x8 is not a significant speed increase. Do not buy RAM (or even get a bigger OS or extra drive) from Apple. Look elsewhere. The 8800GT is a sweet spot.

Edited by Havok.Dzn

Sure go ahead and spoil it. ;)

That's pretty depressing; something that would have taken 5 minutes of engineering time 12 years ago finally makes its way into the case, and it doesn't work. Sure we can make touch screen iPhones, but securing the end of a PCI card; now THAT'S tough.

Oh well, I'm buying one anyway.

yeah it's pretty lame & to top it off you still have to screw the damn thing in place and whatever metal they used for the screws must be the softest metal on the planet so beware of stripping them. dell's got it down with their swing clip. works perfectly. but hey whatever the mac Pro's do look pretty right?

OK, I've decided on the gfx card. It's going to be the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT.

But now I'm having doubts about the model: 2,8 Ghz Quad of 3,0 Ghz Quad?

In my case, it's a difference of 730 euro. I'm def going to pack it with 8 Gig RAM.

I will be running the CS3 suite and C4D.

Any suggestions?! What would you do?

your no longer packing it by putting in the 8G of RAM i believe i read it now can hold up to 32 G of RAM, but im up for computer replacement later this year.

on a side note has adobe ever updated their stuff to be compatible on the new OS? I Thought i read that AE was not yet maybe i missed something?

OK, I've decided on the gfx card. It's going to be the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT.

But now I'm having doubts about the model: 2,8 Ghz Quad of 3,0 Ghz Quad?

In my case, it's a difference of 730 euro. I'm def going to pack it with 8 Gig RAM.

I will be running the CS3 suite and C4D.

Any suggestions?! What would you do?

The price/ performance equation is really going to come down to your personal preferences. Apple's mid level pro models are traditionally the best value, but if you're like me you go for the high end box just because it makes you feel better. I figure if I have to live with this thing for the next few years I might as well get all I can out of it.

As far as the RAM, my general rule is get as much as you can afford, and NEVER order it from Apple; their prices are ridiculous. Technically you are also paying for them to install it, but this is so easy to do yourself that giving them a few hundred bucks (or euros) to do it is insane. What I usually do is look up the exact memory that Apple is shipping from the factory, and then search reputable online resellers and buy the memory from them. I haven't looked at RAM prices for these boxes yet, but in the past I've saved over $1,000 on a new machine by shopping around for RAM.

I very much don't need a Mac Pro, but i very much want one.

Please take away my ATM card before it's too late.

Who said anything about need? ;)

I have to admit Apple is really good at making their products seem irresistible. I have successfully fought off the desire for an iPhone, but they're going to get to me on this one.

Who said anything about need? ;) I have to admit Apple is really good at making their products seem irresistible. I have successfully fought off the desire for an iPhone, but they're going to get to me on this one.

The worst thing about buying from Apple is that they know if you're in the store you're already hooked....kinda like a junkie...they don't even bother doing the hard sell, even if you're gonna fork out $2000 or more. They know if you don't buy today you'll buy tomorrow and some other zombie/junkie will just wander in after you anyway.

When I pay some serious cash for something I want to at least have them work a little for it....but buying my last Macbook Pro was as routine as buying a bag of tomatoes from the Turkish guy at the local fruit market...actually come to think of it he worked way harder for the sell than the 18 year old apple 'genius' with the messed up hair doo and 'creed' tattooed on his neck did....damn it Apple I love you....

Edited by nextexit

I bought a MacBookPro 2.16 i have make some money for at least bring food to the table but man they can hustle, they are the masters at it.Now they offer a new Mac Pro...wow...all the crowd is going crazy..is funny and sad people is so used to buy whatever they are being offered with.. just because is a new thing so you have to get it ..it doesnt talk about your image as a mographer it just says you got some extra cash to play around with. Keep feeding Aple´s ego, that will make a change.

I bought a MacBookPro 2.16 i have make some money for at least bring food to the table but man they can hustle, they are the masters at it.Now they offer a new Mac Pro...wow...all the crowd is going crazy..is funny and sad people is so used to buy whatever they are being offered with.. just because is a new thing so you have to get it ..it doesnt talk about your image as a mographer it just says you got some extra cash to play around with. Keep feeding Aple´s ego, that will make a change.

I guess you never saw The Secret.

I very much don't need a Mac Pro, but i very much want one.

Please take away my ATM card before it's too late.

My first thought was that he wanted the ATM PCI card removed (although I guess you couldn't put one in a Mac Pro anyway). Anyone here ever used ATM networking? It didn't seem as cool to me as FDDI or HIPPI at the time. Just about anything was better than 10mbit ethernet though.

Maybe we need a memory lane thread elsewhere.

I guess you never saw The Secret.

oh yeah, that makes perfect sense and also it proves my point.Is just another toy you guys dont really need to get one u just have to get it to feed your ambition.

oh yeah, that makes perfect sense and also it proves my point.Is just another toy you guys dont really need to get one u just have to get it to feed your ambition.

Nice reality of life, i guess u need to think , visualize things happening for you..i saw something similar but it had not been shown like these one good graphics. Thanks for the advice really good one.I even downloaded to remember in case i forget.