Sign in to follow this  
Srek

Thinking Particle Presets

Hi all,

some of you might already know the TP presets i have created for some time now

http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/stuff_e.html

I'm constantly working on improving them and i would like to ask you a few things.

1. If you use them, what would you like to see added / changed

2. If you decided against using them, why?

3. What do you think of the documentation that accompanies the latest presets?

Any other feedback and critique is welcome as well.

Cheers

Björn

Edited by Srek

I think TP presets V3 are amazing, and the docs are great as well. I doubt I could ever really use expresso (my brain just doesn't go there), but with the presets I am able to do most things I can think of without ever looking at expresso.

Requests (I don't think these controls are there already..but maybe I've just missed them so far):

- tumble/random rotation values on the emitters, or add some other way to introduce/control "tumbling" (both at birth and over time). I know we already have "TP rotation", but that seems to add the same general rotation to all particles, not random direction/speed tumbling per particle

- scale/size variation of particles at birth

Any improvements to these presets will only make them more valuable.

Thanks Srek!

Edited by mikeh64

A good animated matterwaves example. It's probably me, but the matterwaves example from Maxon always loses my interest halfway through, and I move to other solutions.

Most recently I considered using MW for particles at the bottom of a teacup. The teacup needed to swirl, and the particles (tea grounds) would resolve into a shape. In the end I did it with AE. Mograph wasn't doing it quite right either.

(I'm probably revealing some ignorance here. Maybe this is already covered well enough, but with AE sitting there, it was a no-brainer to do it in 2D.)

>but the matterwaves example from Maxon always loses my interest halfway through,

Thats very likely my fault. Here at MAXON i'm the main guy for TP and since Matterwaves is one of my least favourite tools i tend to not use it.

I'll see that i overcome this in the future.

Cheers

Björn

Ack, haha! As usual putting my foot in my mouth.

:lol:

Hum...

i'm heading into a projet with lots of TP and or Mograph, a big mix bouquet of it.... i'll give you some news about it later!

I thought about this for a while (and erased it a few times)...

This is something you probably don't want to hear, but I think the best way to improve the existing TP presets would be to improve the PyroCluster Presets. I used to use TP all the time, but in the last year or so it's been mostly replaced by either: 1) the MoGraph Module or 2) Particular. When you need something very specific nothing beats Thinking Particles, but 90% of the time I need speed, precision, and flexibility.

I hope this doesn't sound like a gripe, because I think your v3 presets are fantastic (and your documentation is more concise and relevant than what I'm finding in the standard C4D help these days). Your presets cover a wide array of structural and physics based scenarios, so many in fact that I can't think of many more to suggest.*

I'm aware that your field is primarily analytical (and I assume that's what you enjoy the most), but I would love to see you create some more "scene based" TP presets that included integration with lights and materials. For instance various types of TP smoke you could drag into your scene... cigarette, steam train, meteor, etc. You may have absolutely no interest in developing such things, but that's what I believe C4D users would find the most beneficial.

Thanks for all your hard work Srek. :)

-Mike

*I hesitate to mention it because of the potential abuse, but I'm terribly interested in what a guru like yourself would come up with for dripping inks vs. what we simple folk have developed ad hoc over the years.

This is something you probably don't want to hear, but I think the best way to improve the existing TP presets would be to improve the PyroCluster Presets.

You can count me in on this, i would realy love to see PC revamped. Faster processors have made it's speed bearable, but i would still like some improvements on what can be done with it and how. One of the biggest problems for me is the huge hit in renderspeed i get when using TP matrices to align the PC puffs. This keeps me from creating more interesting stuff with TP and PC.

I'm aware that your field is primarily analytical (and I assume that's what you enjoy the most), but I would love to see you create some more "scene based" TP presets that included integration with lights and materials. For instance various types of TP smoke you could drag into your scene... cigarette, steam train, meteor, etc. You may have absolutely no interest in developing such things, but that's what I believe C4D users would find the most beneficial.

I fear you might be disapointed, i'm realy not much of an artist and when i start to texture and light a scene our inhouse artists tend to look away quickly, or they offer to help, i don't know what is worse ;)

Fact is that most often i provide a technical sceleton for the artists after their requests, or i come up with an interesting technical idea/solution and ask them what use they can find for it.

would come up with for dripping inks vs. what we simple folk have developed ad hoc over the years.

On the contrary, often enough the solutions i find are realy interesting from a technical pov, but within a tight deadline they might not always be the best fit. We have a realy good C4D instructor here in germany (currently mostly traveling to asia and the middle east to give MAXON distributors there a jumpstart in training) who has so many "low tech" tricks up his sleeves that they often make me kick my own ass on why i spend hours doing vector calculations and stuff when a few well placed deformers and material tricks can do the job in less then 10% of the time.

In the end it's a problem of choosing the tool for the task and i would usualy not encourage the use of the more complexe tool if a simpler thing can do the trick.

Having said that, the dripping ink problem is something i have done and redone so many times now since TP for CINEMA 4D was released, i can hardly count them. At one point i built a TP ink jet printer that printed letters, with or without runny ink just as you like it.

If you have a specific scenario in mind i'm game to try to set up a preset or basic scene for it.

Cheers

Björn

I haven't used the presets much, except for the multi-shape and particles-on-a-spline ones. I'll have a chance in a week or so to play around with them. If it is not there, one that would be very helpful would be one for particles targeting particles. I think this is well over the abilities of built-in TP functions, but if there was a node or a preset that would have particles take on the color from the surface they are emitted from, that would be huge. It would be great to be able to do some krakatoa-like renders from Cinema - and there are at least a few other uses I can think of for that type of effect.

A really good flocking preset would be quite handy, too. Both random noise flocking and true bird-like flocking where the leader changes based on the direction of the group.

A really good flocking preset would be quite handy, too. Both random noise flocking and true bird-like flocking where the leader changes based on the direction of the group.

I was just talking about Tim's flocking example in this same thread on CGTalk. Or do you need more than that?