Sign in to follow this  
zook

Rendering Charges - AE & 3D

So, I've got a job in that when I quoted included a Cinema 4D render in the job. This is fine until the client makes amends and the job has to be re-rendered again. The length of the render means it ties my (working) machine up for a wodge of the working day so I was wondering how you good people charge rendertime (if you do at all) in cases like this, and what you charge?

I thought one charge for the out-of-hours rendering and another for the day rendering which eats into my working time.

hi zook,

my way would be to charge necessary amount for owning and supporting (electricity, upgrades etc.) seperate render station.

just my thoughts,

Janis

What about doing it through a place like Render King and just marking it up 10% or so.

Crikey - this is a good idea but then I just looked at the prices - my client would have a duck fit. A 4400 frame render @ 50c per frame = $2,200, or about £1100. That's probably good VFM, but they would never pay that.

Is this the sort of price you would expect for a render like this?

I would say it is reasonable to charge for render time, especially peak/working hours time.

I do the same thing when clients demand really fast turn-arounds on changes and to do so requires tying up work machines.

Some clients understand that there is a high price for quick delivery of changes (particularly changes that require re-rendering), but some still need to learn that.

$2,200, or about £1100. That's probably good VFM, but they would never pay that.

take your $2200 and buy two or three cheap pc's and you've got your own render farm. Then, you can set render prices a little lower for your client, and your work machine is not tied up. After a few renders, they will have paid for themselves.

$2,200 price means you're using the Render King per frame rate. The 25-day 48 CPU price is $689, and you'll be done in one overnight, and then you have the rest of the month for yourself. You could pro-rate that or charge them the whole of it. Email Dann (the owner) via the website and see if he'll cut you a deal. Then don't return here to tell anyone about it because he'll be mad if it's known he cut a special deal.

$650 might get you a rental from TomAtomic (do a search here) for his unofficial farm also, if he's up for it: http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=13531

I was wondering how you good people charge rendertime (if you do at all) in cases like this, and what you charge?

Enough. ;-) We use a per-day rate here which considering the prices for electricity and supplies plus taxes works best. The client usually doesn't care whether a render takes 12 or 16 hours, but it substantially adds to your bill if a few workstations draw 1000 Watts of juice for a couple of days no matter what they actually do. As the others said, if it's just for your own small jobs you would do good to buy one or two affordable, but well-configured render horses (dual core, enough RAM, decent local disks, decent power supply, good cooling, but cheap graphics). Anything beyond that would require re-considering your strategy and outsourcing stuff, but then again - if that ever happens, you'll probably be running a company with co-workers and other problems 'cos your business is thriving and you couldn't do it alone regardless.

Mylenium

it substantially adds to your bill if a few workstations draw 1000 Watts of juice for a couple of days no matter what they actually do.

Hmmm. I wonder just how much electricity my 8-core does use per hour. It must be possible to calculate a realistic cost for this.

In the long run, I might go for the render farm option - outsourcing to a render farm isn't that practical for me in this case as the client wouldn't pay the £340-odd needed to render it. I'd best think about talking to my customers about render times.

Education. Education. Education.