Sign in to follow this  
dpi

high def. camcorders / suggestions please!

Hi,

There seem to be a tonne of HD camcorders, its just choosing one ... maybe people could suggest some!

It would be fantastic for high FPS and nice optics, but I'm just looking for an entry level HD camera to start with, as our college has dreadful cameras that always seem to be out on loan!

1. Canon Canon HV20

2. Panasonic HDC-SD5EG

3. Sony HDR-SR5E 40GB High Definition

Thanks in advance,

dpi

Edited by dpi

I bought the HV20 and I am very happy with it. I bought mostly because I am a Stu Maschwitz fanboy and he bought one, too, and he's been very positive about it.

Granted this (and the others as well, I assume) have great shortcomings, like "auto stabilization", rolling shutter, and serious shortcomings with the lenses (although you can get a Red Rock adapter for the HV20).

All things considered, it can shoot a great image. No matter what you get, buy a copy of the DV Rebel's Guide, and it will help you immensely if you'd like to shoot DV.

Not sure if they sell a student version, but equally as useful would be the Magic Bullet suite, which would allow you to do artifact removal, amazing 24p conversion (better than the camera), and color treatment with MB Looks, which is freakin sweet.

Guest Sao_Bento
I bought the HV20 and I am very happy with it. I bought mostly because I am a Stu Maschwitz fanboy and he bought one, too, and he's been very positive about it.

Granted this (and the others as well, I assume) have great shortcomings, like "auto stabilization", rolling shutter, and serious shortcomings with the lenses (although you can get a Red Rock adapter for the HV20).

All things considered, it can shoot a great image. No matter what you get, buy a copy of the DV Rebel's Guide, and it will help you immensely if you'd like to shoot DV.

Not sure if they sell a student version, but equally as useful would be the Magic Bullet suite, which would allow you to do artifact removal, amazing 24p conversion (better than the camera), and color treatment with MB Looks, which is freakin sweet.

I dig the HV20 as well. It has it's peculiarities,but it's a pretty good deal for the price. Aside from 30p, it sounds like the HV30 doesn't offer much more. The good news is that it will probably push the prices of the surplus HV20s down.

I've just read that it supports DV in/out (source: canon spec).

Do you guys know whether or not I can record edited footage from final cut back onto a Mini DV tape that will playback on a standard definition tape deck?

Thanks for the replies, really helpful. The 24p is nice

Edited by dpi

Guest Sao_Bento
I've just read that it supports DV in/out (source: canon spec).

Do you guys know whether or not I can record edited footage from final cut back onto a Mini DV tape that will playback on a standard definition tape deck?

Thanks for the replies, really helpful. The 24p is nice

Yes, pretty much all HDV format cameras are completely DV compatible for recording or playback.

Somewhat related question: What is preferable quality- hdv recorded to tape, or the mpeg compression of a hard-drive equipped camera? I've used an hdv camera- and found it artifacted a bit with extreme motion. But it keyed greenscreen alright.

I usually only work with film footage, but it would be sweet to have an hd consumer cam to run and gun stuff on the cheap.

Guest Sao_Bento
do these cams have changeable lenses? I'll be in the market for one soon too.

They have the screw on adapter kind, or you can go all our for something like a Red Rock Micro SLR lens adapter. I really wouldn't expect a camera that costs under a G to come with a set of primes. Even if it were made for multiple lenses, to get them, you'd be talking about a 7K package instead of less than 1K. You can do the lens adapter route for a total investment of about 5K, but it still seems like overkill for most things.

Check out www.hv20.com to see the amateur windows users take on things. Check out Stu's Prolost http://prolost.blogspot.com/ for a thinking man's tips on using the same camera.

Somewhat related question: What is preferable quality- hdv recorded to tape, or the mpeg compression of a hard-drive equipped camera? I've used an hdv camera- and found it artifacted a bit with extreme motion. But it keyed greenscreen alright.

I usually only work with film footage, but it would be sweet to have an hd consumer cam to run and gun stuff on the cheap.

extreme motion is resolved with progressive scan... I think!

from everything I've read hdv to tape is preferable, less compression.

The hard-drive and memory cards are compressing too much

Guest Sao_Bento
extreme motion is resolved with progressive scan... I think!

from everything I've read hdv to tape is preferable, less compression.

The hard-drive and memory cards are compressing too much

If you have the HV20 with an Intensity card, you can actually capture uncompressed over the HDMI connection. It's certainly not ideal or very portable, but a good option if you have to shoot greenscreen or something. I think there are some 3rd party devices coming soon that will allow higher quality recording from the HDMI out as well.

Guest Sao_Bento
see this link: vimeo video from hv20 the descritption posted mentions 'pulldown'; what is it, if important where is it located in Final Cut Pro?

thanks in advance :D

Tape heads move at a fixed rate. In order to be able to record full frames, the information is separated into identical fields and recorded with a 3:2 cadence. It's called 3:2 pulldown. You can remove it with AE, FCP Cinema Tools, Compressor, etc. The "remove pulldown" process combines those fields back into full frames for editing. I have a compressor droplet that I use to remove the interlacing and convert the footage to 720p / 23.976 fps Apple Pro Res HQ.