Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Apple to drop Pro apps

This is hardly surprising. But now the rumors saying that the deal is done, and that Apple has sold the products already, though nobody knows to whom they went.

So--Adobe? (probably not)

Thats depressing if is even true. Final Cut was pretty revolutionary---hard to imagine Apple cutting the cord.

And if they are cutting the pro apps--what about the pro hardware?

I think that rumor is crazy talk. Well except the Britney part. What would be their motivation?

Besides, I never REALLY considered them 'Pro'. More like Prosumer. If all you need is a cut (EDL) then FCP is pro. Beyond that it's terrible. Motion is a novelty. Shake is non-existent soon. Soundtrack is a prosumer ProTools. Logic is Pro for what it is though (IMO).

The only thing I can think of is that the names "FCP", "Motion", and "Shake" will no longer exist and they are combined into one DS-Like super system called something else.

I think that rumor is crazy talk. Well except the Britney part. What would be their motivation?

Besides, I never REALLY considered them 'Pro'. More like Prosumer. If all you need is a cut (EDL) then FCP is pro. Beyond that it's terrible. Motion is a novelty. Shake is non-existent soon. Soundtrack is a prosumer ProTools. Logic is Pro for what it is though (IMO).

The only thing I can think of is that the names "FCP", "Motion", and "Shake" will no longer exist and they are combined into one DS-Like super system called something else.

Agreed.

-m

Guest Sao_Bento
I don't think it is true...

Apple does software just to sell hardware... so why they will do that. It is bullshit!!

Guera

I think everyone was also wondering why they would EOL Shake, right when it was starting to get wider traction. You could say that didn't make sense. If they were rolling that into some super-app, it would have been out by now. That was years ago. Bundling the products into a "suite" also signals that as a company, you're willing to be slow to market, so you must not value any those products very much.

After the Steve's cancer scare a couple years back, I remember noticing a total shift towards consumer oriented products and it made me think that he might have been being introspective and noticing that he hadn't really fully delivered that "computer for the rest of us". Maybe that's his new goal. iPod, iPhone, Apple TV (they lose money on the hardware with that, so the "software to sell hardware" argument doesn't apply there), MacBook Air, iLife 08, etc.

My Logic behind the Foundry, is apple wouldn't want another big company like adobe or pinnacle to have it's products. Adobe would probably kill it off and pick it apart. Apple fancy's themselves differently. The foundry doesn't have the experience, which is exactly the nice thing about them acquiring FCP or what is left of the shake/Phenomena and Aperture. But I don't think Apple would sell everything to one company. I think Apple would like to see there pro-side goto a company that would treat apple stuff as if it where their own baby, see it grow and take care of it. Selling it to a big company runs the risk of all there hard working being dumped and face it most of there pro stuff is tuned to work on Apples, so it has to be an apple centric buyer. Anyway just my rambling take.

Edited by pixel_pimp

you guys see that last comment? interesting.

"I thought it was absurd but I thought the same thing about a rumor that Apple was switching to Intel. Thomson Grass Valley which is not widely known outside of the Broadcast world is the company that bought the Pro Apps for a est. 400 million."

This is really, really crazy. I can't believe you guys are entertaining this rumor. Companies only do shit like that when they are in deep financial trouble. Some of you may not know this but Apple's got "chedda". Haters don't get your hopes up.

What would The Foundry do with Shake? Nuke already "Nukes" Shake out of the water. And FCP outside of it's timeline/editing functions offer them nothing as well since they already own the rights to one of the greatest compositors in history.

I don't think it is true...

Apple does software just to sell hardware... so why they will do that. It is bullshit!!

Guera

Actually Jobs has said the opposite at many Keynotes.

He claims Apple got into the hardware game to support their software (which heavily implied he couldn't rely on other hardware manufacturers to innovate).

-m

Guest Sao_Bento
Actually Jobs has said the opposite at many Keynotes.

He claims Apple got into the hardware game to support their software (which heavily implied he couldn't rely on other hardware manufacturers to innovate).

-m

Hardware is definitely a commodity with narrow margins compared to software licensing. I think Apple's approach has been the result of an idealist, holistic view, rather than just a way to pimp one aspect against the other.

Yeah, that's the way it normally works, but I think that there's a benefit to 'focus' also that doesn't translate directly to margins. If you're in a business that isn't your core competency, here using a buzzword of the 90s, you're likely better off not in that line of business. But I wonder whether Apple is factoring in that they'll lose their credibility for a full ten years if they abandon yet another favorite app, FCP after Shake. They'd have to decide once and for all that they're never going into software again.

This also could be a trial balloon, with Apple checking to see how the rumor plays before making a decision. Much like it's done in politics...

I think Apple's approach has been the result of an idealist, holistic view, rather than just a way to pimp one aspect against the other.

Yes, an idealist, holistic view that always sets system requirements to reinforce the artificial division between consumer and professional lines.

You know, outside of the reality distortion field, a "consumer" computer is a computer that will run Maya or Photoshop much slower than a "professional" one, and that's pretty much it.

Let's not forget that script that came with FCP 3.0 that checked if your dual G4 800 G4 was the former top of the line, or the new entry of the line, and gave you real time performance according to how much you paid. Let's also remember how when Lightroom came out, Apple discovered that, you know what, OpenGL is not that important for Aperture as we thought it was...

You know, I give them a lot of money every year and I really love many of their products. But it takes a lot of faith not seeing how the pro apps are a strategy to position the iron. The strategy is outstanding: it's the only software company that still makes money when people pirate the products.

I see April fool's starts early this year.

The reasons why this must be bs, are many. FCP is not mearly making in-roads, it is becoming the standard these days in broadcasting. All but some long-form Avid shops are turning to FCP, wich in turn has created a migration back to the Mac platform, wich is also backed by a migration to Cinema 4D.

They must be making money from this, or at least not losing money, wich is something they have shitloads of, btw.

The other reason i don't see it happening, is the fact that selling the Pro-apps off might stiffle development. I see a lot of tech that is shared between the pro-apps, and the consumer apps, with OSX being the engine behind that.

Isn't the main reason Apple is back in the game again, the renewed focus on pro-users? (and some portable music device nobody seems to care about..)

Just to keep the ball rolling. I think Apple ruined Shake by not developing as actively as Nuke. Ron Brinkman left Apple to goto the Foundry or did he go to setup a new base camp for Apple to transition all of its Pro Apps to a separate company so Apple Inc. could focus on Consumer Products and bankroll the Foundry to be its separate Pro application company. Ha Ha! The foundry doesn't need what is left of Shake but FCP is a great cash cow now that it is pretty vested in editing houses and other realms. So the foundry get an infusion of cash from FCP then releases Nuke v5.0. Then the foundry can strip down FCP to be a lean mean triple OS threat editor.

Funny.

Companies only do shit like that when they are in deep financial trouble.

No, absolutely not. Even near bankrupt companies only sell their assets very reluctantly... It all comes down to how it goes with the overall business strategy and it's rather obvious that the pro apps become a stone around the neck of Apple.

a) They are no longer good enough to push hardware sales. Let's not kid ourselves - you can run all of them on a cheap iMac which doesn't have the large profit margins Steve would probably like to see.

B) Due to many apps being acquired from third parties, development has always been difficult due to different code basis for each of them. Now with so many of them, they probably feel the crunch.

c) Apple not necessarily did understand how to market their products to certain audiences. Aperture didn't make as big a impact as expected and neither did Motion. Most people consider them nice, but not essential.

d) Apple is totally and completely shifting to consumer products and gadgets. We may not like it, but it makes sense as it's the only way to guarantee their future. You don't keep products for an small elite if all you plan on doing for the next years is building iPods, iPhones and MacBooks.

Anyway, regardless where the products end up or whether they stay at Apple, they will not completely disappear. They have proven their worth. However, I wouldn't expect things to stay the same. One or the other will fall between the cracks or be refurbished into different kinds of apps. If indeed Thomson bought FCP Studio, they will turn it into their bread and butter suite to go with their hardware and therefore they will keep it alive.

Mylenium

Things may be stagnating for us "pro" users - a bit like they did for print designers about 10 years ago (anyone remember the five year gap between Quark Xpress v4 and v5?)

We have just waited for ever for an update to the Mac Pro line, and what did we get? About a 10% speed increase, and a bit of a price drop (which is swallowed up by increased RAM prices), and maybe a cooler processor that wont actually melt the aluminium case.

I guess the point is that 95% of users don't actually need a faster desktop Mac. If you can actually edit HDV footage without a problem on a dual processor laptop, who needs a Mac Pro - only people who use AE or 3D software. People who were previously classed as "pro" users - musicians, Photoshop users, print designers, video editors, web designers - all of them would probably be fine with a Laptop or iMac.

Those of us who still have to watch a render bar moving across the screen (OK now a bit faster, but not when I turn on GI, 16xSMB and render 1080p) are now a small market segment, and I am not sure Apple or Intel is going to be investing the funds needed to bring out a 16 core, 6 GHz MacPro anytime soon.

The good thing is that my shiny new Mac may still be sitting on my desk in two years time, as there will be nothing significantly better to replace it with. On the other hand, if Apple needs to get money from us they will need to do it with software, which reminds me I will need to send them £350 to get an upgrade to FCP 6 just so I can share files with my editor. Unless they are going to ditch pro users completely, they will need to keep going with software. And it doesn't do Apple any harm in the coolness stakes having Macs becoming the default platform in the creative industries, even if the MacPro is just a very expensive dongle to get FCP to run.

On the other hand, if Apple needs to get money from us they will need to do it with software, which reminds me I will need to send them £350 to get an upgrade to FCP 6 just so I can share files with my editor. Unless they are going to ditch pro users completely, they will need to keep going with software.

I'm not sure if that has any relevance. A lot of extremely good software comes from small companies and it should be no problem to get the same with Apple's product range if it is only going to someone who know his way around the code... I mean most 3D programs are produced by companies with 20 something employees or much, much less people as are tools like Nuke. In the long run it might even be better in terms of response time to user requests which will make the software better adpated to the target audience... The only thing that is possibly going to suffer is the overall integration roundtripping if company A gets FCP, company B gets Motion and company C works on a follow-up to Shake. As for the hardware - I think it will end up as already prognosed by analysts a few years ago - Apple will supply the design and branding, but no longer take up with the intricacies of manufacture and distribution of such niche products. More or less it might end up like Dell or someone just putting their standard PC workstations into a different casing and installing OSX instead of Windows but down to the motherboard it will all be one architecture... Apple themselves will only take care of more mass-markety products like Notebooks, iPods and so on.

Mylenium