Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Apple to drop Pro apps

Guest Sao_Bento
http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Apple releases Apeture 2. I would say this is a pro app. It now has a 30-day trial. I don't think they have done that before.

They might say it's a pro app. I think the market thinks of it as a prosumer app. I've never seen it in the workflow of any of the photographers I work with.

Coming from a non-apple fan boy, I really really doubt that Apple is spinning off it's pro-apps anytime soon.

It does look like Apple wants to, and is on it's way to becoming the next SONY.

Apple and Microsoft both want to become content delivery kings and are thwarting companies like verizon and time warner by using their own broadband lines against them. Next stop for either apple or microsoft is internet phone bundled with xbox or apple tv.

But back to the pro-apps, I dont see why apple wouldn't want to be content delivery king and also dominate how that content is created.

Who knows, their may be some sort of info/functional data or widgets that might start becoming embedded into Videos/itunes/games.

I will now copyright this idea. ;)

It does look like Apple wants to, and is on it's way to becoming the next SONY.

That may be a somewhat off-beat comparison, though, and also serve to counter the argument. Sony are not really that successful with their professional products lately, at least not here in Europe 'cos they can't decide on some fundamental aspects...

Mylenium

Guest Sao_Bento
Virginia

Interesting. I'm on the west coast working with product photography guys and I've yet to see it. What kind of stuff are those guys taking photos of?

Interesting. I'm on the west coast working with product photography guys and I've yet to see it. What kind of stuff are those guys taking photos of?

I don't know why it's so important but a very good photographer friend of mine shoots models and has a lot of his work on One Model Place. I can give you his contact info if you like.

Have you used it? It's just a tool. The tool that inspired Adobe's Lightroom weeks later. Initially it had problems with it's Raw import but I hear it's very good now. What's the big deal? You want to consider it prosumer then have at it, but I'm sure like mographers all photographers don't use the same tools.

Guest Sao_Bento
I don't know why it's so important but a very good photographer friend of mine shoots models and has a lot of his work on One Model Place. I can give you his contact info if you like.

Have you used it? It's just a tool. The tool that inspired Adobe's Lightroom weeks later. Initially it had problems with it's Raw import but I hear it's very good now. What's the big deal? You want to consider it prosumer then have at it, but I'm sure like mographers all photographers don't use the same tools.

"I would say this is a pro app".

I would say you're out of your element.

I can't quite decide whether to give the idea any credit or not, it SEEMS so wild. But then I remember that I am looking at it from the point of view of a 'pro' user, who knows the history of FCP and has a lot vested in the usability of his software. Take a look at Apple's homepage and imagine you've never heard of them. There's virtually no indication whatsoever that they make 'pro apps'. We've all felt like they're becoming more and more lifestyle/mass-market focussed.

I personally do give Apple more cool-cred because they make professional content-creation software. But does the 16 year-old with his PS3, or the secretary with her iPhone? They've never heard of Aperture. But they might buy a macbook because it works and looks so much nicer than windows.

The idea of Apple wanting to control content-creation as well as distribution, buying Adobe... Just doesn't seem very realistic in an open market - isn't that kind of along the lines of the Microsoft anti-trust suit? If Apple became too powerful I think we'd see a backlash along the lines of that against Microsoft.

Maybe they're going to sell all their OWN pro apps, and THEN buy Adobe's... Hmmm.

"Which version of PDF Steve? The Apple one or the.. no I mean, the new one or the... never mind."

"I would say this is a pro app".

I would say you're out of your element.

Yeah Dude. I think you are too. Get one of you photographer buds to post for you. I would respect his opinion a little more.

Peace.

I would say Aperture and Lightroom are both terrific, except that the very thing what makes them great (non-destructive editing) also is proprietary cage.

At this time I feel hostage of Aperture, since I can't reliably move my library with all edits to Lightroom just to see how I feel with it. I guess the opposite is also true.

FWIW, Lightroom is not inspired by Apeture. Thomas Knoll and a bunch of guys at Adobe had been working on it for ages. Aperture just triggered the green light to maket it as an actual product.

i thought lightroom was a stripped down version of bridge that focused primarily on the camera import ability?

course, I don't shoot many pics myself so I could be completely off base.

as for the pro/prosumer/consumer thing, it's all 1's and 0's at the end of the day...all that matters is workflow and if you as a designer/composer/whatever are able to achieve your desired end result. Course when you get into the programs that rely on hardware acceleration (and thus, proprietary code)...things get a little different.

i thought lightroom was a stripped down version of bridge that focused primarily on the camera import ability?

course, I don't shoot many pics myself so I could be completely off base.

as for the pro/prosumer/consumer thing, it's all 1's and 0's at the end of the day...all that matters is workflow and if you as a designer/composer/whatever are able to achieve your desired end result. Course when you get into the programs that rely on hardware acceleration (and thus, proprietary code)...things get a little different.

Lightroom is a fully featured application that competes with Aperture.

Which one is better I can't say, because once you have thousands of images edited in either, you're kind of locked into the first one you used.

I started using Aperture when Lightroom was not out or maybe it was early beta. Photoshop integration in Aperture is of course a joke, and that in itself makes me wish I could try Lightroom. Too late for that.

Lightroom is a fully featured application that competes with Aperture.

Which one is better I can't say, because once you have thousands of images edited in either, you're kind of locked into the first one you used.

I started using Aperture when Lightroom was not out or maybe it was early beta. Photoshop integration in Aperture is of course a joke, and that in itself makes me wish I could try Lightroom. Too late for that.

Aperture. Hrm. I am trying to think of another 'creative' application that Apple has done on their own (i.e. not from pre-purchased IP). Nothing comes to mind. If indeed Aperture is their shining star targeted at the creative markets, we had all better pray that they transfer fcp/motion/shake to another company. I bought Aperture when it first came out, and spent months fighting it to ingest by photo library. After several sessions with the "geniuses" *cough*retards*cough* and far too much time, i simply wrote it off as a lesson learned: Apple doesn't have any experience with pro apps --only buying people that do.

just an FYI as of NAB (07) a bunch of the original shake guys moved to the foundry

Apple IS working on another PRO app (their shake replacement) from what I here, a friend has family working on the project (a guy and his wife are coders) say it's in total disaray...

but if apple dropped their proapps...im going linux...

I think everyone was also wondering why they would EOL Shake, right when it was starting to get wider traction. You could say that didn't make sense. If they were rolling that into some super-app, it would have been out by now. That was years ago. Bundling the products into a "suite" also signals that as a company, you're willing to be slow to market, so you must not value any those products very much.

After the Steve's cancer scare a couple years back, I remember noticing a total shift towards consumer oriented products and it made me think that he might have been being introspective and noticing that he hadn't really fully delivered that "computer for the rest of us". Maybe that's his new goal. iPod, iPhone, Apple TV (they lose money on the hardware with that, so the "software to sell hardware" argument doesn't apply there), MacBook Air, iLife 08, etc.

Sorry Sao Bento... but I don't agree.

Apple sells a lot of your Pro machines because of the Pro software. I know a lot of people and companies that use FCP, LOGIC, SHAKE and DVD Studio Pro... and few that use motion and Aperture.

Why buy a Mac Pro if you can buy a faster PC for half of the price? You need a Mac to run FCP, LOGIC...

I don't know about America, but Shake still a big software in UK and I heard that a new version (I don't know if it is going to have the same name) is coming and it will be a big thing in the market.

iPod??? cool...they sell a lot.

but iPhone, just in America... It is not a big thing in the European Market... it is not a 3G mobile and the camera is shit (I have one!). Maybe in the second generation.

Apple TV? I never saw a person with one...

Guera

Guera

Interesting thread to read, whether the rumours turn out to be true or not.

The more I think about Apple, the more I realise they are a hardware company. Don't get me wrong, the inroads they've made into the 'Pro' market with FCP, Logic and Aperture have been enormous (much more so with FCP and Logic), but I can't get past the idea that whatever Apple does software-wise, it's purely to sell more Macs, rather than to make money directly off the software. If it is, maybe it makes sense for them to farm off the development of these 'Pro' apps to companies that can devote more time to responding to the needs of the users and pushing the limits of the technology. Provided, of course, that they stay Mac-only.

Cheaper development, but still gaining new users through the software - Win-win for Apple, surely?

Cheers,

Adam

I'm on the fence about purchasing a MBP (I'm one of those that are waiting for whatever update they're coming out with next). I'd use it solely because of the ability to use Shake and the FCP suite. If those didn't exist anymore or weren't being developed by Apple, I'd probably save a few hundred dollars and just get a PC laptop. AE would be my other primary app and I guess I could always go back to Premiere and Encore. But....Windows. *shiver*

My fear is that some company would acquire these apps and then simply not update them.

PS - There are still people that are using Shake 2.5.1, and Shake's still doing pretty damn well for being EOL'd. That might all change when Nukev5 comes along with a spiffy interface, but at $500 I don't see Shake being completely wiped off the map anytime soon. Would have liked for some successor news at NAB though, ah well...

Edited by RAZ

Guest Sao_Bento
Sorry Sao Bento... but I don't agree.

I don't really believe it would happen either, but I thought it was an interesting idea and it would make for an interesting thread. The one thing that seems apparent is that Apple is going through a period of change right now, trying to position themselves to pursue their new vision of the future. Whatever comes from it, I'm sure it's going to be unexpected.