Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Apple to drop Pro apps

The rumor first surfaced on a site where it's author, from what I've read, is now working for Avid. I posted elsewhere that I thought that the ProApp sale rumor was generated to cause confusion in the marketplace. Who stood the most to gain by saying that Apple would sell the ProApps? Answer: Avid. What potential buyer would cause the greatest concern among Final Cut owners? Answer: Thomson.

Where I work, our server playback system that is sold by Avid is now EOL. I doubt that Avid will ever sell another product to our company. I've heard about managers of large post facilities saying that they were going to NAB 2007 to look at anything *but* Avid.

Avid DS had great potential. It was developed outside of Avid. From what I've heard, the Avid engineers in Tewksbury gave an "us or them" ultimatum. I don't think there has been a major update in over a year. (perhaps two)

* The playback server is Media Stream. Ours is only a couple or years old.

Edited by scottgfx

Guest Sao_Bento
The rumor first surfaced on a site where it's author, from what I've read, is now working for Avid. I posted elsewhere that I thought that the ProApp sale rumor was generated to cause confusion in the marketplace. Who stood the most to gain by saying that Apple would sell the ProApps? Answer: Avid. What potential buyer would cause the greatest concern among Final Cut owners? Answer: Thomson.

Where I work, our server playback system that is sold by Avid is now EOL. I doubt that Avid will ever sell another product to our company. I've heard about managers of large post facilities saying that they were going to NAB 2007 to look at anything *but* Avid.

Avid DS had great potential. It was developed outside of Avid. From what I've heard, the Avid engineers in Tewksbury gave an "us or them" ultimatum. I don't think there has been a major update in over a year. (perhaps two)

* The playback server is Media Stream. Ours is only a couple or years old.

Without a doubt, Avid is a company to avoid doing business with. Aside from their antagonistic relationship with their own customers, it's also risky because of their steady decline as a business. I expect that they will reach terminal velocity in the next few years.

They should be in Beta for DS9.0 around now though.

Without a doubt, Avid is a company to avoid doing business with. Aside from their antagonistic relationship with their own customers, it's also risky because of their steady decline as a business. I expect that they will reach terminal velocity in the next few years.

Avid has followed a similar arc as Quantel did, just a few years later. What amazes me is how long these companies manage to maintain the illusion that somehow the cuts and dissolves (or whatever) on their proprietary systems are somehow more "pro" than on their cheaper, more open competition. There's still plenty of people out there that think they're getting short changed if their spot is edited in FCP instead of Avid, although that number is rapidly diminishing. What's also amazing is how companies that are arrogant and openly hostile to their client base manage to have any clients at all.