Sign in to follow this  
Guest pasto

type birth

Guest govinda

I have to laugh because we're frame-f***ing this animation like there's no tomorrow. But it's nothing I haven't done myself. It's like my inner dialog re this effect, circa January 2003, is now public on this forum.

But that's not to say I know how to do it in Cinema (my 3D app). To do it right, with velocity-curved extrusions, would take Xpresso, using the control it gives you over poly-by-poly animation. Again something I don't know how to do yet! (Xpresso with points is easier for me at least, because I have an example file, and I think I can do that.) Otherwise, it's serious PLA or morphing, carefully timed. IOW, it's not easy at all. Nice try though Yogert.

One thing I CAN say is that I have some advice from a pro whose used it at Imaginary Forces that part of the effect was done using FE Scale Wipe in AE. It's her right arm (and possibly the parts of the roof of the building that go vertical as the building's extrusion completes). FE Scale Wipe is all over the Sweater piece, from all appearances (the rose at the end, e.g.). That effect was widespread last Spring--Gmunk used it all over his well-publicized stuff. Also, check out frames 38:29 to 38:30. There's a twitch there as the 3D object (the building animation) enters the scene.

-govinda

Guest igorschmigor

cool, camera mapping seems real easy in cinema 4d. try using it and rerender the scene, i'm sure it will look much better. I don't care too much about the FE scale wipe filter, that effect is being used a lot in the movie but it doesn't impress me much because you could achieve the same effect by preparing it in Photoshop and saving a lot of money by not having to buy the plugin (of course it's more convenient using final effects). I didn't have the feeling we were frame-f*!king this movie, just effect-hugging it. The twitch you mentioned, is that the one you already mentioned in the first page of the thread or yet another one?

Guest govinda

Frame-hugging, sooo much nicer a term, and more Californi-a than Californi-cate. I wish I'd thought of it. And yes, that's the same twitch. This thread has gone on so long that I forgot what I wrote back when it started in 1968. :D

Guest retrokix
Yo, i have made a tutorial. You can see it here: http://mitglied.lycos.de/igorbsc/tutorial/tut1.html

I hope even beginners will be able to follow it, but it might become a little complicated at times with all the similar layer- and comp-names. If you discover errors, or don´t understand how i meant certain things, let me know. I´m sorry about the adds on that site, but it´s a free server (with php, mysql and 50MB, so i really can´t complain). I´ll have a proper site one day.

Hi igor...I'm sorry to go back to this subject after months have passed, but I just came across it recently. First of all, thank you SO much for this tutorial! You are brilliant!!! My question is...I'm stuck on a part in your tutorial (sorry, I'm not as skilled on AE as everyone else is on the forum) about adding the echo effect. On Step 5, I followed all directions and put in the right parameters, but the echo effect does not work for me. The mask follows the path, but it does not reveal the letter at the end. Instead, the letter disappears after the mask follows the path. What am I doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated :D Thank you.

Guest igorschmigor

i am not sure, maybe you are using the echo effect directly on the solid layer? because that doesn't work. You'll have to turn the layer with its animated mask into a precomposition and use the effect on the precomp. If that wasn't the problem then maybe you can send me your project file, so i can see what the problem is.

Anyway, our member "mh" let me know that there is a better method than the echo effect: the write-on effect. It renders much faster. Maybe i'll update my tutorial one day, but i don't have the time right now.

Guest retrokix

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

No, I'm not using the effect on the solid layer. I followed your directions and added the efect onto the precomp, but for some reason, it's just not doing it right. I will send you my project file and I will also experiment with the write-on effect. I know you are very busy, so if you can't get to it, I understand. Thanks again.

Guest igorschmigor

Okay, i had a look at it. Sorry, that was my mistake, i gave the wrong settings in my tutorial. The time-distance should be -0.02, not 0.02.

Guest vicnorman

peep.

My question applies to the camera mapping/mtv weekend portion of this thread..

Im totally new to 3d apps, been using after effects for everythnig up until now. cinema 4d and i have become friends and so i would liek to figure out how to acheve the weekend thing in c4d.

I've set up a cube with diffrent textures on each side. The part that gets me is the random extrusion or duplication of said cube to make all the little ones that makes up the surface??

Oh ghod how thankful i would be for an in depth explanation. tute? Please?

Igor makes it sound so easy to do in 3ds max? Could he possibly do a step by step of how its done?

yours truly,

Victor

Guest igorschmigor

it doesn't use camera mapping, it's planar mapping with an orthographic view. I am not very familiar with Cinema 4D although i own Cinema 4D 6 SE, and by looking at it i had the impression that i couldn't do the modelling that easily in C4D either, because the particle systems can't seem to do what i need it to.

I will write a tutorial for you, so stay tuned. Maybe it will be up in a week or two.

edit: i meant cinema 4D CE, not SE. Sorry maxon.

Guest parallax

Igor, are you currently employed? (not that i'm a employer though, just curious)

You obviously have got the technical skills and lots of analytical ability.

Bet you'd get a job in a heartbeat, if you were unemployed (are you)

Got a reel?

Guest igorschmigor

Thanx Parallax. Unfortunately i'm currently unemployed. I got my diploma end of january and am still working on my portfolio. I hope to find a job soon. But i don't have a reel, i'm not a motion graphics artist myself, i'm just here because i love looking at the stuff.