Sign in to follow this  
christianchoice

"smooth" expression troubles

when i apply the smooth expression, example: smooth(width = .2, samples = 5, t = time), i get these weird mishaps. Random values are placed in and cause the image (in this case a rotation) to "jump" around...

is this a CS 3 bug?

Not exactly. Smooth is mainly intended for circumstances with excess keyframes, such as tracking or motion sketch. Manually created keyframes won't behave expectedly when used in conjunction with smooth, or the smoother window.

Maybe there's a better solution to your problem? What is the problem you are trying to fix?

is this a CS 3 bug?

No. You are using the wrong synthax. smooth() is sub-property of another property, not a function. Unless you tell it what actually to smooth, it will produce garbage.

mRot=thisLayer.transform.rotation;

mSmooth=mRot.smooth(0.2,5);

[mSmooth]

Mylenium

i use to use it in 6.5 with no problem.

it's normal purpose was to "smooth" out the end and beginning of keyframes so the camera doesn't seem so bumpy...

i'm still new to the graph editor....

oh, and mylenium, it says this expression result should be a dimension of 3, not 1...

thanks anyways :)

No. You are using the wrong synthax. smooth() is sub-property of another property, not a function. Unless you tell it what actually to smooth, it will produce garbage.

mRot=thisLayer.transform.rotation;

mSmooth=mRot.smooth(0.2,5);

[mSmooth]

Mylenium

I guess it pays to mention that this would be when accessing property outside of the one in which the expression resides. Like, using rotation to drive opacity, but smoothing the result. Smooth can be used in a similar fashion to valueAtTime.

But, when I graph the above expression for rotation only, this yields the exact same results as

smooth(0.2,5)

Maybe I am missing something? I would think that, because a rotation expression can only modify rotation, that "smooth" would have no other place to go other than to rotation. And like I said, I can't seem to get a different result using it on its own vs. as a property attribute. And either way, I tried this on a few different sets of keyframes, and one time it seemed to work (on rotations), and one time it went crazy (on position).

I think a better approach instead of using expressions would be to try using Easy Ease at first, and tweaking with the graph editor.

it's normal purpose was to "smooth" out the end and beginning of keyframes so the camera doesn't seem so bumpy...

Uuah... 3D orientation? No dice. Quarternion rotations will always give this odd behavior. And smooth will not actually smooth anything in terms of adjusting the actual keyframe values.

Mylenium

I guess it pays to mention that this would be when accessing property outside of the one in which the expression resides.

Yes, of course. My old mistake - posting early in the morning. ;-)

Mylenium