Sign in to follow this  
Rob M

Line Warping

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to do some work for someone at the moment and they have presented me with a logo designed in illustrator.

They have used the Blend shape option in Illustrator and now want to move.... I'm wondering if anyone knows how I would go about doing this in either After Effects or C4D.

I'm sure ages ago I came across a way of doing something similar to this, but for can't seem to recall it now!

I was thinking 3D Stroke in AE, but can you have one rigid shape (the square in the below example) that doesn't deform, and have the other shape deforming?

test2.jpg

Cheers,

Rob.

Edited by Rob M

Hi Rob of Wetwang! (am I correct in my deduction? :))

Hmmm I'm not sure if you can do it in 3D Stroke, had a quick think about Sinedots but not sure if you can in there either. I'd just animate a stroke, either buy hand or using a distortion filter (or combine the two), then pre-comp it. You can duplicate the pre-comp, scale, tint and offset it and you should be able to get a similar effect.

I'm sure there is an easier much more efficient way but just thinking off the time of my head at the moment.

Hope you're well!

Hi James,

Yeah, Wetwang man, its the place to be...

For all those that don't know what we're talking about, its where I grew up.. Fo' real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetwang

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wetwang,+D...ap&ct=title

---

"I'd just animate a stroke, either buy hand or using a distortion filter (or combine the two), then pre-comp it.

You can duplicate the pre-comp, scale, tint and offset it and you should be able to get a similar effect.

I'm sure there is an easier much more efficient way but just thinking off the time of my head at the moment."

Thanks for the pointer, good stuff. Almost perfect, defo onto something.

I've found that when using the distorter's that I can't seem to get the lines to stay nice. The more I distort, the more the line goes 'fluffy'

Anyone know a good way of distorting/bending a comp, and keep the rasterization.

So it would be only distorting the vector line, not the stroke... I need more AE practice!

Tar,

Rob.

Edited by Rob M

I'm away from After effects, but it should be this kind of workaround.

In Afx, Create a new solid, create a mask. In illustrator, select your shape A, copy it. Return in Afx, select your point mask, then paste. You have the first shape. Create a keyframe of the shape. Move in the timeline. In illustrator, select your shape B, copy it. Return in Afx, select your point mask, then paste, and create a new keyframe. The Mask should morph between A to B.

Edited by Ødb

I'm away from After effects, but it should be this kind of workaround.

In Afx, Create a new solid, create a mask. In illustrator, select your shape A, copy it. Return in Afx, select your point mask, then paste. You have the first shape. Create a keyframe of the shape. Move in the timeline. In illustrator, select your shape B, copy it. Return in Afx, select your point mask, then paste, and create a new keyframe. The Mask should morph between A to B.

then add some echo accordingly

I had to do something similar to this a few years back with "jet trails" they started out as the outline of the jet and would end up in an abstract shape. Had to mimic the print campaign which used the blend shapes technique in Illy. I did a simple stroke morph and used it as a custom particle for particular. In your case you can get away with just the morph and the echo. Then just dissolve or blend into the actually logo.

You can do your blend in illustrator, and then distribute the shapes to layers. Import as a comp into ae and then do a sequence layers, with as much overlap as you want. This should work smashingly.

Right on Plastikman, very good idea. In fact, I wonder if pixel blend TimeRemapping would smooth this even further?

Excellent thanks guys. The echo and mask/stroke blend should do the trick.

Just gonna be a question of playing with the settings I guess.

No doubt I'll be back with some tests and questions in the next few hours :)