Sign in to follow this  
7twelve

blu-ray authoring on os x

The two choices I've seen so far are Encore and Avid DVD, but I have yet to find any conclusive reviews on either that aren't dated back to 2006....

so, if you've done/do blu-ray authoring...what is your program of choice? Encore seems nice for the AE interaction for menu creation. Keep in mind that the primary target would be more corporate/internal related product, so crazy interactivity won't be a necessity up front (but flexibility is always nice to have)

Course I suppose I could set up bootcamp with XP and use one of the plethora of authoring options on windows.

Encore works with Blu--Ray much like DVD Studio Pro works with HD-DVD (RIP): this is, it supports the video flavors in full glory, but the interactive features are equivalent to the ones it offers for DVD authoring.

In general terms, Encore is very good for projects that benefit from heavy AE or PS integration (the later is an understatement, it's not integrated: it's the Photoshop UI and format adapted for DVD authoring). Now let me say this: most mograph-oriented DVDs I see are variable in visual sophistication, from very cool to very poor. But they all tend to be very basic in interactivity and overall DVD nerdism. Any of the mograph projects I saw you can make easily with Encore.. For professional DVD authoring (which is a big segment of what I do, for good or bad), Encore's most important limitation is that it doesn't offer access to DVD scripting commands, so it's a bit more limited than DVD SP in this regard. They are both Abstraction Layer products in the end. It's worth noting that many functions that in DVD Studio Pro require scripting (like a multi-track Play All scenario) in Encore are exposed as simple UI operations. But it's true that it doesn't offer direct access to GPRM and SPRM registers (don't know what those are? Then by all means go with Encore :)

Edited by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Thanks for the reply Adolfo. I guess my biggest concern right now is stability of the program itself, since as I said...the bulk of any BR would be for :yawn: corporate tradeshow type things. Being a cross platform app is a plus to me as well (office: mac, home: windows).

With that said, what would you say is a good app that can achieve 'professional' authoring in the BR realm...regardless of platform? Something with a mostly functioning demo would be ideal as well :)

Thanks for the reply Adolfo. I guess my biggest concern right now is stability of the program itself, since as I said...the bulk of any BR would be for :yawn: corporate tradeshow type things. Being a cross platform app is a plus to me as well (office: mac, home: windows).

With that said, what would you say is a good app that can achieve 'professional' authoring in the BR realm...regardless of platform? Something with a mostly functioning demo would be ideal as well :)

Let's see: Encore itself is pretty stable. The Blu-Ray implementation has its' quirks, obviously. How could it be anyway else? Believe it or not, long after manufacturers started shipping BD players, the specs were still not finalized! Firmware updates have been taking care of that (for PS3, for example).

As for cross-platformness.... Encore is cross-platform, and that of course is important. But unfortunately, it's probably the only Adobe app that is cross-platform at the application level, but not the project level. In other words, the project files are platform-specific. Bummer, I know. The source files are of course cross-platform. Believe me, I have been very noisy about cross-platform projects.

As for "professional authoring", it depends on what you mean. I guess professional BD authoring implies mastering for replication with AACS protection. No app under $$$$$ has that now, and there are expensive charges at replication for the the ones which can do it. Now, if "professional' means producing a project that makes your client's jaws drop, then yes, you can do it. It would be limited to "duplicated" discs, though.

Edited by Adolfo Rozenfeld