Sign in to follow this  
danmarker

MoGraph Chicago

Awesome to see there are others in the Chicago scene on here.

I'm working on getting the freelance thing rolling here in Chicago and so I haven't really had the opportunity to meet and hang-out with anyone in the city.

im freshly moved back to town, after being in nyc for a few years. you can't deny that LA or NY has a lot MORE work/opportunities, but chicago's scene seems to have plenty of action, and I agree with everybody else about loving this city. NYC sucked all the energy out of me and i got home drained every day. here, it feels like the city is feeding energy back into me and i get home amped and inspired.

im looking forward to getting the chance to meet up with some of you. (KGB, i think we've already had the pleasure...through the BMG/Aon connection ;)

I don't live in Chicago, but I've been getting quite a bit of remote action from your fine city lately, which leads me to believe there's probably opportunities aplenty for those that live there. Either that or I don't charge enough. Probably a mixture of both ;)

Sorry, I haven't had time to respond.

I will try to make it but no guarantees. I also think there are some events coming up(I'll do some digging), including a party here at my workplace, I will PM you guys with details providing I can fit people in.

krp, yes I think you've been to the office a time or two :-)

Edited by KGB

Meeting for lunch would be great. I'll definitely try to make it out.

Also meeting up for events in the city would be cool too. I'd love to be on your mailing (PM) list for upcoming events.

Are you guys mostly an ID studio by default? Its a field I've taken an interest in as of late.

EDIT: It looks like im down for Wed at 12.30 (90%)

Edited by KGB

We are half a visual media studio, in which we create photo real 3D images of high end furniture, and half a product design studio. We focus the majority of our business on imaging, but we are constantly expanding into new areas of design. I'm really an animator at heart (with an ID degree) so motion graphics has always held me close.

I'm looking like I might be swamped now too- anyone confirmed on going or should we reschedule

I am down for tomorrow. I don't know about rescheduling, but, it would be cool if we just do more of these lunches

I think we can do a bunch more of these, and I don't know if I can do it at any other time this week, so I can't really reschedule. When can you do it Jeff? That can be our next feast! :-)

Edited by KGB

Well if we've got enough interest for tomorrow lunch I can maybe hopefully bite the bullet and make it. I just had a project come in that is pretty rushed but I think I can work around it. So, 12:30 CNDs it is! I'll let you know if I absolutely can't make it but let's do it!

Hello all!

I haven't visited Mograph for a while, but just stumbled on this thread. I recently moved to Chicago from NYC for my girlfriend (she got accepted to the Art Institute grad program and we decided to make the move). I was very nervous of leaving NY, but I have been presently surprised at the quickly growing motion graphics scene out here. The main difference that I have noticed about the work is that Chicago is very "product" based where NY is driven by "entertainment and fashion".

The majority of my work from NY has been designing and animating show packaging and a few music videos. Here in Chicago it has been (I have only been working out here for 3 months) Sports commercials and Sears work so far that fill my days, but there is a lot of creativity out here and i think that more entertainment based show packages will be here in the near future. I worked with the great team at lift motion on a few projects including the open to the MGFest 08 open and some pretty cool pitches st SOL Design. I have also done a job for mode project. It has been awesome working with all three of these companies and I look forward to checking out some other places out here.

I will be back in NY for Easter weekend, but would love to meet up with anyone from Chicago in the motion graphics scene, so please keep me in the loop (that was a bad Chicago CTA pun).

Anyhow, my thought is that Chicago is a place full of talent and the work out here will just keep getting better and better.

My 2 cents.

Eric

www.ebmiro.com

makes me wish I was in Chicago...Indy is weaksauce for anything creative :angry: My days are filled of corporate blah...that don't even pay that well :/

sadly relocation isn't gonna happen for a while.

Edited by 7twelve