Sign in to follow this  
danmarker

MoGraph Chicago

The turnout was surprisingly good for an event with no alcohol. And the food wasn't bad either(a little heavy on the onions :) )

Glad to meet some of you guys.

Edited by KGB

Drinks after work sound more do-able and frankly more appealing than lunch. I vote in favor of cocktails (the evening type, just wanted to clarify with the alcoholics).

-m

Hell yes. I want to buy you as many drinks as you desire Mr. Frank.

I'll mark this on my calendar and start putting money aside.

FYI for you CND goers: I used to and possibly still have the top photohunt score at CNDs. Sup.

more appealing than lunch

More appealing than....lets say....Brizzazz!?!?!?!!!?1!one

But yea...we should organize a drink thing....

that reminds me.... can you guys PM me your email addys so I can send you the party info(I got yours already 26thfloor)?

Edited by KGB

More appealing than....lets say....Brizzazz!?!?!?!!!?1!one

okay that is an exception, that place makes for a pretty spectacular lunch and afternoon.

you have my correct info as well.

-m

It's great to see that Chicago is actually pretty active.

Unless something amazing comes up to steer my family in a different direction, I think we've collectively made the decision to relocate to the Chicago area, hopefully with me finding enough freelance to support a small family.

I'm pretty familiar with the usual suspects out there, but the catch-22 has been that I can't work in Chicago until I move there, but I can't move there until I have work there. So, it looks like we just need to bite the bullet and move, probably in 09.

See ya out there soon!

graymachine, i was in the same situation. i ended up just going for it, coming in a few weeks before the move to find a place to live and do a few interviews/meetings, and got a month-long booking starting my first day living here.

sorry to kind of butt in here, but does anyone know of shops that do a bit of print and/or web as well? I only ask cause I sorely need to get out of here, but unfortunately my portfolio mainly consists of coding and static design...tho I've been largely bitten by the animation/compositing bug, and would really like to pursue it....just the market in this city is, well...'meh'

Definitely keep in mind the agencies, DraftFCB has an entire internal editing/gfx/compositing department now. I know Leo does a bunch of web work internally as well. Further, I have noticed a few new boutique shops popping up that cater to mediums outside of broadcast television.

on another note, I didn't realize their was such a large number of the Chi-town people on here. nice.

-m

A lot of agencies do a bunch of their print and web in-house....

So, you can start your search there.

Well, that isn't really all that descriptive...but thanks.

RE: the other posts, I really don't *want* to do predominately web work, even tho I can and do currently...it just leave me with a sense of emptiness at the end of the day. And judging by the fact (just going out on a limb here) that most studios seem to use basecamp as their 'client end' of things just kinda says something about the quality of web work they do and/or wish to do internally. Frankly put, most studios seem to not give a flying (insert expletive) about their web presence, else they would actually care how it looked and operated

Sorry, I've just had a really long and anger inducing day (11 hour day with no compensation, yay!)...had to vent, was not a jab at anyone in particular.

Edited by 7twelve

In Chicago I can't think off the top of my head any companies that do large volume high-end commercial motion, print and web all under one roof. You might find 2 of those traits but I think you will be hard pressed to find 3. The exception is some of the agencies.

You are going out on a limb by saying most studios use basecamp. In my personal experience, indeed some do use basecamp, however, several companies employ a full-time programmer to create custom software for the client backend. Chicago is all about client relationships. Now the front end web prescence is a different story. I don't understand it personally. I would want a sexy front end for my company. I have a feeling this has to do with the client relationship once again. A lot of companies I have worked with don't get jobs from their web presence but through interacting with clients in person.

-m