Sign in to follow this  
de ANVEL ez

After Effects Class Syllabus

Hello Film, Video and Web folks!

Welp, it's that time of year again...time to start teaching After Effects to college students again.

I'm doing an Intro to After Effects class and decided that this year I'll have an online syllabus for my students.

I've posted it here at

http://motiongraphicslab.com/lessons/motio...er-effects.html

I figure if you're a teacher or student this might be helpful...please let me know if there is anything I can add or if this has been helpful.

I'm still working on the feature function examples...but so far I have the transforms completed.

DeANVELez

A quote from your Syllabus

Attendance is mandatory. Any un-excused absence will result in a 10 points being deducted from your final grade.

Miss 3 days and you fail. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you miss a class, it is your responsibility to catch up on the material missed and to have all assignments completed on time.

Attendance will be taken at the beginning and or end of each class meeting. Participation includes being present, alert and involved. It includes making comments and answering questions in class, and it also includes participating in class exercises and activities. Everyone has his/her way of getting involved and all will be recognized. Preparedness includes completing projects and assignments by due date, reading the text chapters as assigned and being prepared to discuss the materials in the assigned chapters. Failure to read text chapters by the dates assigned may adversely affect your grade for the course. Since this course involves actual production, teamwork is essential; therefore, punctuality will be strictly enforced. Do not be late. Any un-excused lateness will result in a 5 points deducted from the final grade. Come to class late 4 times and you fail. There will be no exceptions to this rule. LEAVING EARLY COUNTS AS ARRIVING LATE.

Seems like a solid course, but this comes off as pretty harsh. Years ago when I was in school studying I would stay away from classes like this at all costs. Don't get me wrong, I paid alot of money for my education and wanted to get the most out of it, but I remember often times taking 6,7 or even 8 studio classes at a time, and sometimes you would just miss a class, or god forbid be 15 min late. I will also tell you this, the teachers I did have that I credid to this day never had to use scare tactics to get me to class. They inspired me, they knew that If I missed a class or was late it was for good reason. They sure as hell didn't lop 10 points off my grade for missing a class, instead, they knew that if I did miss a class I'd be working my ass off to catch up.

In short, you may be one of those amazing, inspiring teachers, if so please take this with a grain of salt. And maybe things have changed a bit since I finished school.

A quote from your Syllabus

Seems like a solid course, but this comes off as pretty harsh. Years ago when I was in school studying I would stay away from classes like this at all costs. Don't get me wrong, I paid alot of money for my education and wanted to get the most out of it, but I remember often times taking 6,7 or even 8 studio classes at a time, and sometimes you would just miss a class, or god forbid be 15 min late. I will also tell you this, the teachers I did have that I credid to this day never had to use scare tactics to get me to class. They inspired me, they knew that If I missed a class or was late it was for good reason. They sure as hell didn't lop 10 points off my grade for missing a class, instead, they knew that if I did miss a class I'd be working my ass off to catch up.

In short, you may be one of those amazing, inspiring teachers, if so please take this with a grain of salt. And maybe things have changed a bit since I finished school.

No worries...I've been teaching for quite awhile now and that particular statement is there for a few reasons...

1. I cover several topics in my classes...miss one and you could be left further behind than you probably want to be.

2. In the working world you only get so many days off...why should my class room be any different.

3. I am far from scary, but I have no time to teach anyone who can't make it to my class...If a student misses a class or 2 then usually I have to work harder to get them back on track...they waste my time and the

classes time.

4. If you're really that good where you can miss 3 classes and still get everything done...well...why come to my class.

5. I hope I do scare people away from my classes...smaller class size = better work.

6. I'm not here to pamper coddle or hold anybodys hand...that's what mommas are for. You can't handle my class or can't make it on time...truly not my problem

7. I give 110% of myself to teaching a class...give me the same.

ok I've ranted...I'm done now...off the soapbox

No worries...I've been teaching for quite awhile now and that particular statement is there for a few reasons...

1. I cover several topics in my classes...miss one and you could be left further behind than you probably want to be.

2. In the working world you only get so many days off...why should my class room be any different.

3. I am far from scary, but I have no time to teach anyone who can't make it to my class...If a student misses a class or 2 then usually I have to work harder to get them back on track...they waste my time and the

classes time.

4. If you're really that good where you can miss 3 classes and still get everything done...well...why come to my class.

5. I hope I do scare people away from my classes...smaller class size = better work.

6. I'm not here to pamper coddle or hold anybodys hand...that's what mommas are for. You can't handle my class or can't make it on time...truly not my problem

7. I give 110% of myself to teaching a class...give me the same.

ok I've ranted...I'm done now...off the soapbox

I'd suggest that you replace the paragraph from your website with what you just wrote here. Atleast from reading your 7 points I get that your a decent guy with some personality, and you actually care about teaching. After reading your list I would take your class, the other paragraph is cookie cutter snooze fest instructor lingo.

Please keep in mind that I'm not a student. I'm a working guy in motion graphics and my default response to any mographer is inatly positive. Yes im bias toward people in my industry, I generaly like them and have alot in common with them(save producers). However I was taken back by that paragraph. Just my honest opinion.

I'd suggest that you replace the paragraph from your website with what you just wrote here. Atleast from reading your 7 points I get that your a decent guy with some personality, and you actually care about teaching. After reading your list I would take your class, the other paragraph is cookie cutter snooze fest instructor lingo.

Agreed. I am a recent grad, and looking back the only instructors that I truly respected, were those without rules on attendance, tardiness, etc... Instead they inspired me to learn, be in class, and work my ass off. It may be your job to make sure the student is there in order to pass the class, but it's the student's job to give a sh*t

Please keep in mind that I'm not a student. I'm a working guy in motion graphics and my default response to any mographer is inatly positive. Yes im bias toward people in my industry, I generaly like them and have alot in common with them(save producers). However I was taken back by that paragraph. Just my honest opinion.

Thanks for the advice on replacing that paragraph...I didn't replace it but I did add the 7 points to the bottom of it.

I've never had to worry about attendence on the intro class and have had that paragraph there since 2003

I usually teach 3 classes

Intro - Always full

Intermediate - 1/2 the students show up from the intro class

and Advanced - 1/2 the students show up from the intermediate

So the student poulation goes from about 20...to...about 3 to 5

Those last 3 to 5 are always amazing...and in my opinion those are usually the ones who get jobs in the field.

This is not an easy industry...After Effects is not an easy program...I don't teach an easy class.

But when it's all said and done I truly feel that my students have the knowledge to be employeed...that's all that matters to me.

Agreed. I am a recent grad, and looking back the only instructors that I truly respected, were those without rules on attendance, tardiness, etc... Instead they inspired me to learn, be in class, and work my ass off. It may be your job to make sure the student is there in order to pass the class, but it's the student's job to give a sh*t

That part in my syllabus is not for you then...If I had 30 students that truly cared then that part would not be needed. The sad truth is that I put that there to make sure the other half that don't care either come to class or stay home.