Sign in to follow this  
spirozero

How to bring C4D Spline into AE?

I was trying to figure this out a year ago over on CGTalk (see thread), but I gave up. Now I'm back at it.

spline01.jpg

I want to bring this helix spline path into AE and use it as a motion path for Trapcode 3D Stroke.

Is this possible? If so, I can't get it to work. The spline shows up as just a point when I import the aec file into AE.

I guess I could throw a light onto the spline path and use it as an emitter with Particular, but I'm really wanting to use 3D Stroke for this effect.

Unless there's a feature I don't know about, 3dStroke doesn't actually use 3d splines. It uses flat splines and wraps them around a center axis. I think particular is the only way your going to be able to do it.

I was going to suggest an emitter with particular. 3D stroke has only basic bend options to take it out of the coplanar, otherwise its path is actually only 2D like all AE path/masks - I think spiral is probably beyond it - and it would be a pain to get it to go in front an behind a single object. You certainly can't import 3D splines into AE.

Have you tried using Mr Smith's CStools and doing it all in C4D (CS 3D stroke)?

You can export a spline to AI via Sketch & Toon, but only in the view you're looking at it. Just choose 'Splines' in sketch settings. But that'll be a flat shape. To get the full resolution of the spline make sure the spline's interpolation is high enough.

Kind of a workaround (not really exactly what you are asking for)

Instead of a spline--use the helix as a motion path. Attach a null to it then use the align to spline function to run the null along it. Attach an external compositing tag and export the scene. You wont have a spline per se, but you can use particular along the null as an emiiter and might be able to mimic the 3d stroke look.

Also consider applying the spiraling 3d stroke as a pre rendered material right in c4d on a CYLINDER that encompoasses your helix.

try doing 2 passes using the "normal direction" shader in the transparency channel--so you have one pass thats mapped onto the part of the cylinder facing the camera and a 2nd pass with showing the stroke effect mapped onto the back insidesurface of the cylinder--then sandwich the 2 around your AE element.

" Attach an external compositing tag and export the scene. You wont have a spline per se, but you can use particular along the null as an emiiter and might be able to mimic the 3d stroke look."

can you attach the particular emmiter to a null in ae?

" Attach an external compositing tag and export the scene. You wont have a spline per se, but you can use particular along the null as an emiiter and might be able to mimic the 3d stroke look."

can you attach the particular emmiter to a null in ae?

yes. you would need to use an expression, I suppose - especially because [x,y] are separated from [z] in particular. It would be very simple.

However, the easiest way would be to make a light in C4D were you want to emit from. Then when you bring in the 3D data, your light will import and you can tell particular to use that light as the emit point - no further work needed. It will even point the proper way if you use a spot light.

so...

if you wanted to do a 3d stroke along a path with particular, I would: Make the spline in C4D. Animate a light along the path. Export 3D data. Tell Particular to use the light as the emitter. Adjust particle life, and shape over time. Laugh maniacally.

Edited by fishface

yes. you would need to use an expression, I suppose - especially because [x,y] are separated from [z] in particular. It would be very simple.

However, the easiest way would be to make a light in C4D were you want to emit from. Then when you bring in the 3D data, your light will import and you can tell particular to use that light as the emit point - no further work needed. It will even point the proper way if you use a spot light.

so...

if you wanted to do a 3d stroke along a path with particular, I would: Make the spline in C4D. Animate a light along the path. Export 3D data. Tell Particular to use the light as the emitter. Adjust particle life, and shape over time. Laugh maniacally.

shweet

This topic brings up an issue I've been struggling with as of late. Using the example of a the first post, let's say a cube created in c4d and then brought into AE for final compositing. If I wanted a Trapcode Particular emitter to spiral around the c4d rendered image in AE, what type of object buffers would I have to render out of c4d to obscure the Particular layer to make it look like it is wrapping around the cube?

Would this require the normal shaders the previous poster reccomended?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

there is an option to use a depth map/z-buffer as a means of controlling visiblity of Particular particles. This might be what you are looking for. You can also use a 3D layer in AE as an "obscuration layer", which works, though a bit roughly round the edges.