Sign in to follow this  
vicnorman

unravel object...

Long time since I blatantly took advantage of other people's vast skills...

I don't even know where to begin with this one. It's to be done in C4d. Hair???

Brief:

"The word “YARN” – braided out of loops and tendrils of thread – is quickly unraveled. The unwoven thread floats elegantly, as if suspended in water."

Any ideas are welcome.

Victor

www.vicnorman.com

Long time since I blatantly took advantage of other people's vast skills...

I don't even know where to begin with this one. It's to be done in C4d. Hair???

Brief:

"The word “YARN” – braided out of loops and tendrils of thread – is quickly unraveled. The unwoven thread floats elegantly, as if suspended in water."

Any ideas are welcome.

Victor

www.vicnorman.com

Might want to check out Phytools:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php...light=meatballs

I can't think of any one magic bullet for this off the top of my head, but I have a few tiny bits, for what they're worth.

Sometimes I've found it easier to work backwards, instead of un-braiding perhaps try braiding in C4D then just reverse the footage.

You could perhaps cheat it using a lot of blendshapes, motion paths, and various other deformations. Are there a lot of sustained shots of this happening?

do you have to use 3D? can you go analogue? hire your grandma or someone off craigslist skilled at hand embroidery - or do it yourself and have some stop motion fun. since it's "quickly unraveled" you can get away with a lot and cover up your transition to when it floats. (shoot it in water?) shoot it over a keyable surface so you have more options.

i know people on here may see this response as a joke - cause of all the ink drip threads - but seriously... anything dealing with yarn looks sweet stop motion.

thanks for the replies guys. I'll go see what phytools can do for me, as for going the analogue way; would probably be the easiest, and fastest way. If I had a camera, a water tank, a knitting grandma and the time and space to get them ll together. Such as it is now, I'ts gonna have to be fully 3d. (there are other shots in this that would have been easier to pull off doing the real thing but I don't have the resources, too bad).

To be continued...

thanks for the replies guys. I'll go see what phytools can do for me, as for going the analogue way; would probably be the easiest, and fastest way. If I had a camera, a water tank, a knitting grandma and the time and space to get them ll together. Such as it is now, I'ts gonna have to be fully 3d. (there are other shots in this that would have been easier to pull off doing the real thing but I don't have the resources, too bad).

To be continued...

Just off the top of my head...

You can try particles with dynamics (colisions and such to keep them in the text "containers") then use mograph spline tracer to connect all the particle points for eqch letter into one spline. Could work---in theory....

Just off the top of my head...

You can try particles with dynamics (colisions and such to keep them in the text "containers") then use mograph spline tracer to connect all the particle points for eqch letter into one spline. Could work---in theory....

Why not just use spline dynamics in hair? Hell, why not even just fake it with a Displacement Deformer?

I don't think there's anything in the story description that requires any collision detection. If you can get by without it, you'll thanks yourself. I use dynamics dead last when precision is required.

-m