Sign in to follow this  
bibbadad

Sending work files?

Stay in any business long enough and sooner or later someone is going to treat you in a manner that will make you ashamed you buckled or proud you didn't. Finding the right time is the tricky part.

quote of the year nomination.

I think a simple way to deal with this is, if you know the client is going to require work files, then charge that client more. If you know that specific client doesn't bother with work files then charge your usual fee.

I couldn't say how much more but probably 30% or so, otherwise you risk losing them as clients I think.

And I also agree that there's no fixed rule, you must decide based on the situation. When there's a long term relationship, or when there's friendship involved, or certain degree of confidence, or the work is not important (like some simple title animation) you can loosen up a bit and give them what they want.

as a general rule, NO, project files stay with me. Now, that's not to say I haven't made exceptions in the past, it boils down to politics, and the relationship you have with the client. Is this one of your regulars, or is it a "one project wonder"?, did they try to bargain over your fee?, things of that sort.

I was in a situation a few years back where I did some work for a one-time client. A few months later he came around and asked for the project files, and flat out told me that he needed revisions but didn't have the money to pay me for them. Funny thing is, he didn't even own a seat of AE (which was what the project was made in), nor he knew or had anyone on his 2 person staff that knew what to do with the files. So I did give them to him, not before moving a couple of things around as some people here have suggested.

In another similar situation, even more years in the past, and this time it was a Maya project. This one was with one of these clients that tend to overstep, kept showing up unannounced, asking for more and more changes, kept bargaining over cost, called 45 minutes after asking for something to ask if it was ready, things of that sort. Well, this time I had several project that had been put in the back burner to accommodate Mr. Annoying, and I had to get them back on track. He walks in one day, without calling, and asks for "a slight change", we all know what that means. I tell him, "what you ask for will take me 2 hours to do, and about 5 to render, that is once I get to it, which be no earlier than 2 days", now, here's where it gets REALY funny. The guy tries to bribe me, he asks "well, if you had a playstation with a lot of games..would that make things go faster?", "no". Next thing he says, "well, my nephew has this superfast computer, maybe if you give me your files he can finish it faster in his shiny new supercomputer", "not going to happen". All this happens with this guy talking directly to me without going thru my boss, who at the time had washed his hands from this guy and tossed him over to me. Any ways, long story short, he didn't get any project files, and he got his "slight change" a week later, we never saw him again.

Any ways, long story short, he didn't get any project files, and he got his "slight change" a week later, we never saw him again.

I'll bet that right now his nephew and his "supercomputer" is going through the same thing you went through.

I'll bet that right now his nephew and his "supercomputer" is going through the same thing you went through.

and to think I could've gotten a playstation out of it....oh well, life goes on.

Even the product this guy was trying to push was ridiculous, it was some sort of "ethernet lock", it was basically a switch that was connected to the ethernet port on the computer on one side and to the hub/router on the other, and you could "shut off" the connection with a key. It also provided surge and virus/hacker protection, what he didn't say is that the surge protection was provided in the form of a power strip (included in the package), and the virus/hacker protection was included in the form of a norton CD, also included in the package. "Soooo, what does this thing do again?" "it protects your computer", you can imagine the explanations.....