Sign in to follow this  
Guest dumbo

DVD Studio > HD DVD > Toshiba DVD player

Guest dumbo

So i'm moving into creating HD content, and would like to be able to author an HD DVD from DVD Studio Pro 4 and play it on a Toshiba SD-780KY HDMI DVD player.

I can make a HD project in DVDSP, and successfully play the DVD in my Mac Pro's DVD player software.

When i insert the same disc into the Toshiba DVD player (connected via HDMI cable to a Toshiba HD TV), it gives the message 'bad disc'.

The DVD player says it supports 1080i, so why won't it play the disc?

Im new to all this HD DVD format war stuff, so was wondering if...

1) anyone has authored HD discs through DVDSP that can play on a non-apple DVD player

2) or do i need to buy HD DVD discs

3) or buy blu-ray discs and burner?

4) wait for DVDSP to support bluray authoring

5) bury my head in the sand and just author SD projects?

I've done a fair bit of reading manuals, apple support, wikipedia etc but can't find a straight forward answer... :blink:

To answer you , yes i have authored HD DVD discs and yes it can be done with current build of DVDSP 4.x

Why i ask would you author to a dead format ?You might be getting bad disc because not all players for HD DVD can read info from a DVD5/9 that has been authored by DVDSP alot of players are picky about the media and the bit rate plays alot into this as well. If the player cant keep up to play the disc you get either bad disc error or it will just jump all over the palce.

HD DVD is dead they have halted all production and there is no commercial or viable delivery for this media anymore.

You can do Blu Ray authored discs now with CS3 (Encore) and FCP or another NLE that is current.

You just need a compression software like Compressor 3,Toast 8/9 and Encore a Blu Ray burner from Lacie,Panasonic,Sony etc and something to test it on like a PS3.

My honest opionion would be not to waste time with HD DVD people are not using them and if they have they are trading up for Blu Ray credits.

Invest in Blu Ray if your going to need to author a few discs at a time then stick with the above method with a external/internal burner but i wont scare you with the cost or replicating Blu Ray professionally because if you dont have a few grand alone for licensing fees then stick with HD content on the web or stick to SD.

Guest dumbo

I think i'll stick with SD DVDs from DVDSP for the time being, until the prices drop on blu-ray and when it becomes more widespread in the average clients office...

cheers bot.

I think i'll stick with SD DVDs from DVDSP for the time being, until the prices drop on blu-ray and when it becomes more widespread in the average clients office...

cheers bot.

If it's for the average clients office, you can do Blu-Ray now with Adobe Encore. It's just industrial replication what's not possible at this time.

Just like DVD SP can do HD-DVD limited to DVD-like interactivity, Encore does Blu-Ray limited to DVD-like interactivity. You can of course use HD content in all of its' glory.

I've done a fair bit of reading manuals, apple support, wikipedia etc but can't find a straight forward answer... :blink:

The straightforward answer is that what Apple postulates as being HD-DVD is not HD-DVD. It does not create the correct sector information and formatting and thus does not run on anything else than a Mac. I believe you can run them also on one specific older HD-DVD-player by enabling soem emulation, but that is that, as they say. Anyway, the point is moot. I'd wait for NAB and see who announces what in terms of BluRay authoring tools and then pursue that route.

Mylenium

So i'm moving into creating HD content, and would like to be able to author an HD DVD from DVD Studio Pro 4 and play it on a Toshiba SD-780KY HDMI DVD player.

Well, it seems that Toshiba SD-780KY is Standard Definition DVD player. So it wont play HD DVD.

(it might support 1080i upconversion from SD DVD trough hdmi)

Toshiba SD-780KY User Manual

And also, if you want to author and burn HD DVD disc, you need to burn it on HD DVD media.

Kinda like if you want to eat ice-cream, you don't buy milk shake.

And also, if you want to author and burn HD DVD disc, you need to burn it on HD DVD media.

No, not necessarily. The beauty of HD-DVD is/was that it's 100% downward compatible with normal DVDs. As long as you don't exceed the amount of data, you can burn it onto DVD media and as a result get a so-called mini-HD-DVD.

Mylenium

No, not necessarily. The beauty of HD-DVD is/was that it's 100% downward compatible with normal DVDs. As long as you don't exceed the amount of data, you can burn it onto DVD media and as a result get a so-called mini-HD-DVD.

Mylenium

Sorry, my mistake. But good to know in future, if there is any future for HD DVD.

i'm one of "thems" that bought the toshiba HD dvd player. but i bought it for the sole function of burning my HD material to a single or dual layer dvd in HD to watch on my HD DVD player. its nice for doing trade shows and stuff like that. but since i've gone apple tv its pretty much useless now...

hey dumbo, i'll sell you my toshiba HD dvd player and then you can play those dvd's all the time!

Guest dumbo

have ended up going blu-ray. gonna install an internal blu-ray drive, and get some Sharp AQUOS BluRay players. and use encore to author the discs.

will let youse know how it works out...

Edited by dumbo