Sign in to follow this  
martober

Can AE count characters and return number for an expression?

I am writing an expression in After Effects.

I need to get the number of characters in a block of text (including spaces) fed in to an expression.

For example the phrase "After Effects" would yield the number 13. This number would need to be fed into a Range Selector start keyframe.

Can AE count characters? Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by martober

i am pretty sure it can i looked through one of our scripts and i think this is the core of the code.

if (text.length > 12){

var diff = text.length - 12;

i would head over to AE enhancers, and ask dan brown or bryon nash, the script i have is a combination of their work

I am writing an expression in After Effects.

I need to get the number of characters in a block of text (including spaces) fed in to an expression.

For example the phrase "After Effects" would yield the number 13. This number would need to be fed into a Range Selector start keyframe.

Can AE count characters? Any help is much appreciated.

First, let's make sure you need an expression. If you use "index" instead of "percentage" in the Advanced>Units, your Range will be based on character numbers rather than percent.

Otherwise, as RustyAce pointed out, "length" is the length in characters of a string. Like...

myText = text.sourceText;

myText.length

myText.length would equal an integer number that is the length of the source text, assuming it isn't an array.

My token plug... this is all covered quite thoroughly in Lesson 4 of the expressions series, FWIW.