Sign in to follow this  
Guest blockbustaa

"fun"

Guest myExperiment

ok, i'm really sick of seeing people break the law to get a political message accross. why are people so willing to encourage uncivilized behavior?

Guest parallax
ok, i'm really sick of seeing people break the law to get a political message accross. why are people so willing to encourage uncivilized behavior?

Or breaking the law to get elected.

Guest soulmobile

This is really cool.

It hurts nobody.

And myExp is Bush NOT breakin' the law?

He does hurt

And not in a cool way.

^LOOP THIS^

Guest juicysauce

Sure, this stuff is 'fun,' as the thread title suggests, but as political subversion, it seems little better than masturbation. I guess I'm pretty cynical when it comes to culture-jamming. It preaches to the choir while everyone else is left scratching their heads or dismissing the whole business with a wave of their hands.

Can anyone point me to a truly effective bit of culture-jamming? I'm not challenging people here, I'm just wondering what effective culture-jamming looks like. In theory, it seems like a good idea, but I've never seen it "work."

I suppose I'll have to buy that book from the AdBusters people if I really want to "get it." But that's exactlly the problem, isn't it? You have to get a decoder ring before you can understand and take part...

Sorry. I really shouldn't post before drinking coffee in the morning.

Guest nextseason

To me it is really interesting. It just shows free thinking and is very creative.

Hey I have an epson printer too... hmmmm...

Guest mugsy

my .02

I think the primary intended effect of culture jammers is to get people to think. You don't need a decoder ring to "get it". If done correctly, it creates a double-take reaction that ends up making you think about things you take for granted.

Talented culture jammers slide their messages into mundane and ubiquitous places precisely because you may not even notice it. That fact in and of itself is half of the communication.

Guest juicysauce
I think the primary intended effect of culture jammers is to get people to think. You don't need a decoder ring to "get it". If done correctly, it creates a double-take reaction that ends up making you think about things you take for granted.

Sure, it makes ME think, but what about my dad? Or my mom? Or my grandparents? Or my 12 year-old cousin?

I'm already predisposed to double-takes. I live for 'em. We all do. That's why we're designers. We create double-takes for a living.

But defamiliarization is merely the doorstep. Your definition of culture jamming would suggest that if I drew a spliff hanging out of Mona Lisa's mouth, it would be culture jamming, because it might make someone stop and think about a painting they have hitherto ignored, mainly because of its uniform ubiquity.

Culture jamming, as I understand it, aims to do more than that. It is political in nature. It wants us not just to think about things we take for granted, but to actually change our habits and question our most fundamental assumptions.

My feeling is that stickers and posters and stencils and t-shirts and even television ads, no matter how clever, are not enough to do that. They might get the viewer to the first step, i.e. the double-take, but after that you need substantive, sustained discourse in the language of your audience, which is typically pretty broad and "un-sexy."

Guest mugsy

Yes, I agree that culture jamming also includes messages and that are looking to change your habits (or in my opionion more like your habitual thinking) and question fundemental assumptions, but true culture jamming is not political. It's cultural.

Having said that, I think people use the techniques of culture jamming to push political messages. I guess what I'm trying to say is that culture jamming and using the techniques of culture jamming are 2 different things. I think that aside from the questioning of assumptions that you mentioned, true culture jamming is benign compared to a full scale marketing campaign. But once again I think that that in itself is

The best example I can think of is the advertising campaign for "Nothing". It makes you question your responses and reactions to advertising. It makes you think about how those responses effect your buying habits. It makes you think about consumerism, etc. Perhaps these thoughts will change some of your ways of dealing with the world and perhaps not. But you will see the whole mess from a new perpective one way or another.

I see good culture jamming as more of a funhouse mirror. I reflects something back at you and causes you to see it differently. Even without sustained follow up it can leave a lasting mark on your thinking.

Guest ai
The best example I can think of is the advertising campaign for "Nothing"

what is it? can you tell us a bit more? a link maybe?

Guest juicysauce

Thanks, mugsy. Some good points of clarification in there.

And yeah, I'd like to see the "Nothing" ad campaign stuff, too. Sounds pretty interesting.

Guest mugsy

Well... true to form, I can't find any links to the Nothing TM campaign. I think the designer was Fiona Jack. I also used to have a link to a hysterically funny little video press release about the opening of an art gallery installation called "Nothing". Can't find it either. I'll try to dig them up and post em when I find em.