Sign in to follow this  
laughingcolors

health insurance / for freelancers

Blue Cross. They're a criminal organization however, so watch them like a hawk.

Why do I say this? Until two years ago they had an operation the likes of what was depicted in that Matt Damon flick 'The Rainmaker,' a physical office dedicated solely to cancelling policies illegally merely because a policy-holder had submitted a claim. Once discovered, they were fined a million bucks. To them this was a slap on the wrist.

I have basic blue (cruddiest of blue cross plans), with a $2500 deductible for about 85 a month. I get this so basically I don't have to bankrupt my family if I need a kidney or something serious.

Last year when I got married I called about adding maternity coverage and it they quoted me around 850 a month, so adding that is a LOT more.

One good approach is to get a higher deductible health insurance (much cheaper) and get a health savings account. Going this route has great tax advantages as you don't have to pay taxes on the money going into the account. I'm just looking into this right now...

Here's some info on health savings accounts: http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/2004/02/hsa.html

-bd

Ha ha ha, good ole' National Health Service...well, at least you actually get treated when you go to hospital (if you're wealthy enough) - here in the UK, the medical staff look at you cynically, write out a prescription for antibiotics/prozac/arse cream and tell you, "It's just stress. Take these. You'll be fine. Now if you'll excuse me, buck off, I'm busy with the million other people taking advantage of free healthcare."

I am concerned about if I get 'hospital ill' and can't work, then I'll be totally screwed, but then what with having to save up 6 month's worth of tax I spent on myself ("What, I give these warmongering dickheads 20p out of every quid I earn?"), this is low priority right now. Please help me O Lord, I have been a silly billy...

I just got on United Healthcare. ~320 per month for 2 adults, 1 smoker (i just love my cigars), and maternity. the maternity coverage doesn't have a 1-year-wait clause like most do. i think its billed under "golden rule" . they are definitely picky about who they cover, but i guess that explains the low rates. they are ~40% cheaper than teh next best option in teh area (exempla).

i'd love to be 100% freelance, but there's no way i could afford insurance for me and the family. My son is 2 years in remission....i don't even want to know what the rates would be even if they would pick us up. My dept. at work was "synergized" aka let go this past week so i have to have COBRA until i find new employment....sigh.....

Guest Sao_Bento
i'd love to be 100% freelance, but there's no way i could afford insurance for me and the family. My son is 2 years in remission....i don't even want to know what the rates would be even if they would pick us up. My dept. at work was "synergized" aka let go this past week so i have to have COBRA until i find new employment....sigh.....

I'm in a similar situation. California is supposed to be working up a law that you cannot be denied nor have your rates set based on pre-existing conditions. That might do it.

don't look at your COBRA rate and think that's what insurance costs.

i looked into getting insurance for my employee and it was 1000, as opposed to about 250 for him to get it himself. corporate policies have to allow everyone access, so the insurance companied ream you. as an employer.

for a single person 250 gets you good insurance per month.

I did the COBRA thing after leaving my last job. Then when I was no longer eligible, I walked into the BCBS office to get a quote and found out I was getting screwed monthly thru the employer's plan. Not much, since nice individual coverage here is only $140 and I was paying around $180, but over the course of 18 months I wasted nearly enough to buy an AR-15.

Cf

Guest Sao_Bento
can health care insurance companies drop you like your home-owners insurance can? sorry if it's a dumb question!

Yep. Luckily, we have a track record of choosing insurance plans that are just about to be discontinued - I suspect the reason we've had an easy time is because we're never in any one system long enough for their algorithms to point us out.

I'm kinda glad I live in canada for this.

For what most of you are paying 80-150$ a month for is free for the most part, or for some things pocket change.

Not sure about other people, but my company has a big plan thats free for us, I'm covered about 90% on everything (kind of avg pointless getting into everything here)

This includes decent lengths covered for hospital stays. plus on top of that I have any credit I ave covered by a plan that if I'm hospitalized, or can't work for whatever reason (accident, disability... too bad not for vacations...) my interest is covered minimum on most in some cases my debt would be paid off depending on what happened.

I'm using Lifewise of Washington. I guess the state mandated that there be an insurance plan that any resident can buy, so thats what LifeWise is. We were paying $950 for almost zero deductable bluecross for two adults and a baby. Now we've got a deductible and its $550, which is almost 6k a year in savings. Its a sick amount of money either way.

At least you get to write that money off at the end of the year which knocks 25% or more off of its theoretical price.

Stayin' alive aint cheap!