Sign in to follow this  
T02

[3d] Renderengine of choice

The old place I worked for used Brazil for ages but as the MR matierials in Max developed it became loads more fun to use, although I really miss Brazil's simplicity. I miss Brazil's Utility material though, but not it's Motion Blur (have they fixed that yet?). Vray's file referenced Proxy object is something I wish MR had. I wish someone wrote a MR fisheye camera shader that worked well for very wide aspect panoramas.

Hi, B2 got 3d motion blur, and is very good. I know of at least one guy that bought B2 just for its motion blur capabilities. When combined with Render cache you get a very good time/quality ratio, even if combined with other fuzzy stuff. About proxies, I think that max 2009 will include mr proxies. ANd about the camera, if you like to do qtvr the b2 camera got an environment lens that outputs a 360° equirectangular image - it means, from rendering to qtvr in a snap ;)

So, wow, Brazil 2 just blew me away :)

As i write this, i'm rendering the final frames of the first project i completed using Brazil.

God, i so wish there was the slightest of hopes to port it to maya. heh..

Anyway - i might be missing something - but does Brazil lack the ability to render to elements?! (as in z-depth, specular, shadows, etc)

Glad to hear you're digging Brazil 2. I'm also a B2 user. :) For render effects you have a couple options. You can you the standard "Render Effects" in Max (Rendering->Effects), such as FileOutput to get the ZDepth, Illuminance, or Alpha.

You also have much greater control through the Render Options dialog for B2. Under the "Render Pass Settings" tab you can render out anything else you need. For example if you just want the diffuse color, you would set "Illumination Override" to "Diffuse Full-Bright", and set the "Base Material Pass" to "Reflect/Refract Black" so there aren't any reflections. You can even replace all materials at render with one of your choosing under "Material Replacement." Great for rendering out masks, contours, AO, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Eric, i did figure that out from the beginning. My problem is that, in order to output all my "other" data uring brazil's passes i need to re-render my scene for each pass, which seems like huge overkill.

Anyway, there's the RPF solution, and i'm also looking into the effects file output :)

Cheers!

Thanks Eric, i did figure that out from the beginning. My problem is that, in order to output all my "other" data uring brazil's passes i need to re-render my scene for each pass, which seems like huge overkill.

Anyway, there's the RPF solution, and i'm also looking into the effects file output :)

Cheers!

On a side note, one of the render pass advantages is that all passes are antialiased (if you keep aa values right, of course), while render element's ones aren't afaik.