Sign in to follow this  
flow

take me to the frame rate shop !

hey there!

we are preparing a 5 min corporate movie. we are almost finished and about to render. unfortunately the projection guys still don't know what frame rate they want to have. the AE project is very big with tons of precomps and so on. right now everything is 720 50p. so. what should i do when they want 25p. is it ok to just change the frame rate in the final comp or do i have to go through all single comps and precomps and change the frame rate?

hey there!

we are preparing a 5 min corporate movie. we are almost finished and about to render. unfortunately the projection guys still don't know what frame rate they want to have. the AE project is very big with tons of precomps and so on. right now everything is 720 50p. so. what should i do when they want 25p. is it ok to just change the frame rate in the final comp or do i have to go through all single comps and precomps and change the frame rate?

Hi Flow,

You need to change the pre comps as well.

BUT... you can use this AE Script to change it for you:

This script displays a palette with controls for changing the duration and frame rate of the current composition, and all nested compositions (pre-comp layers) in it. When you lengthen the composition’s duration, all layers whose out points are at or beyond the end of the composition are also lengthened to the new duration, including layers within pre-comps.

SCRIPT

Hi Flow,

You need to change the pre comps as well.

BUT... you can use this AE Script to change it for you:

This script displays a palette with controls for changing the duration and frame rate of the current composition, and all nested compositions (pre-comp layers) in it. When you lengthen the composition’s duration, all layers whose out points are at or beyond the end of the composition are also lengthened to the new duration, including layers within pre-comps.

SCRIPT

i disagree.

you only need to change the precomps if "preseve frame rate when pre-composed" is activated in the advanced comp settings of the precomps. but thats not the default, so normally you dont need to worry about that.

payton

i disagree.

you only need to change the precomps if "preseve frame rate when pre-composed" is activated in the advanced comp settings of the precomps. but thats not the default, so normally you dont need to worry about that.

payton

But, if you change the may comp frame rate from to 50 to 25, the precomps will keep the frame rate for 50.

So, you will have all your precomps running at 50fps and your main comp at 25 fps..

Guest Sao_Bento
But, if you change the may comp frame rate from to 50 to 25, the precomps will keep the frame rate for 50.

So, you will have all your precomps running at 50fps and your main comp at 25 fps..

AE is smart. It resamples the pre comps at the necessary rate. You can even time remap animated precomps without getting stuttering motion, etc. because it's smart enough to compensate (obviously this doesn't work if you use pre-rendered or live action footage in the pre comp).

AE is smart. It resamples the pre comps at the necessary rate. You can even time remap animated precomps without getting stuttering motion, etc. because it's smart enough to compensate (obviously this doesn't work if you use pre-rendered or live action footage in the pre comp).

Nice to know that. I always used the script.

So, if I change the main comp I can still work with the precomps in the old frame rate and AE will work fine?

Yeah, it will.

But masks may slip ...

And things that hit ON keyframes may no longer do so due to AE interpolating new frames.

This may work fine, but a ball bouncing may never actually touch the floor for example.

Yeah, it will.

But masks may slip ...

And things that hit ON keyframes may no longer do so due to AE interpolating new frames.

This may work fine, but a ball bouncing may never actually touch the floor for example.

So, if I change the main comp I can still work with the precomps in the old frame rate and AE will work fine?

Yes. AE works based on time, not on absolute frames. If you zap around using multiples of the same base frame rate, there is no problem whatsoever. things only get messy if you need to combine multiple framerates in one project and then indeed some oddities occur that would better be fixed by setting the sub-comps to the same frame-rate and adjusting the content.

Mylenium