Sign in to follow this  
HAWKER

cant create simple no steps/no steps gradient in AE

i want to create a little element of black to white circular gradient whether it be via a light or mask and feather.

ive tried both, also with a bit of after effects noise as suggested by a bud, but i still get steps down my gradient which look awful

im dealing with 8 bit.

any ideas guys?

thanks

i want to create a little element of black to white circular gradient whether it be via a light or mask and feather.

ive tried both, also with a bit of after effects noise as suggested by a bud, but i still get steps down my gradient which look awful

im dealing with 8 bit.

any ideas guys?

thanks

did you already switch to 16bit? this might help, even if you render out to a 8bit format at the end.

payton

Guest Sao_Bento

im dealing with 8 bit.

any ideas guys?

thanks

• Are you looking at it at best quality and full resolution?

• What is the intended output device?

• What are you looking at it on? / do you have a shite monitor?

Banding is caused by a display's inability to interpolate two values, generally because the contrast is too low.

The two ways to fix banding are to add contrast or diffuse the banding by adding noise. If you're not happy with the results of either of those, you'll want to re-think the design.

• Are you looking at it at best quality and full resolution?

• What is the intended output device?

• What are you looking at it on? / do you have a shite monitor?

Banding is caused by a display's inability to interpolate two values, generally because the contrast is too low.

The two ways to fix banding are to add contrast or diffuse the banding by adding noise. If you're not happy with the results of either of those, you'll want to re-think the design.

thanks man, thats sounds pretty straight foward, whats the best way to create niose, photoshop or AE? is there a specific type of niose that will work better?

thanks again

Add your noise in AE since that is what you're working in and follow Sao's suggestions. You can eyeball the noise settings tweaking them until it looks right... Or switch to 32-bit... lol...

Edited by imcalledandy

If you use the standard AE ramp effect (a bit basic) if has a scatter option built in. If you vary the scatter amount slightly over time you will get animated noise rather than more visible stationary noise.

It's always bugged me that AE doesn't have a built in dither effect. It really does the best job for smoothing banding. But as far as noise. I add the regular noise effect and set it around 3 - 4.

Guest Sao_Bento
It's always bugged me that AE doesn't have a built in dither effect. It really does the best job for smoothing banding. But as far as noise. I add the regular noise effect and set it around 3 - 4.

I've tried using Digital Anarchy's Gradient Designer and Noise Complex to solve the problem a bit, it gives you some more options, but nothing that really works 100%