Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

C4D animated textures

Hey there . . . I am working on a scene in cinema and would like to create the effect where a texture is revealed onto an object.

Here is the situation . . .The character of the scene is already textured and as he eats an object, I would like to make him change color/textures starting from the mouth and spreading down the shape.

The only way that I have been able to think to accomplish this so far is to create a copy with the 2nd texture and render both sequences. Then do a quick masking job in AE and see how it works.

Any other thoughts would be awesome . . . as I am sure there is a better way, but I have searched the site and google with no luck so far.

Thanks!!

Was just looking to do something similar. Found this thread: animated alpha, which takes some doing to get looking right.

I went the 2d route and rendered 2 passes with a null controlling the animation for my object , which i then used in ae to pin my texture to.

I was really helpful in that thread, eh? :D

If it's a figure, you may end up needing to UV map the character. Since you probably don't want to do that if you haven't already, try playing with Cylindrical or Flat or other kinds of mappings. You can do the animated draw-on from within Cinema using a gradient in the Alpha channel of a material, animating the knots and adding a bit of turbulence so that it's not so regular.

Hey there . . . I am working on a scene in cinema and would like to create the effect where a texture is revealed onto an object. ...

Also have a look at the proximal shader, it returns the position on an object based on its distance to another specified object, and works on a vertex level - you can animate the start/end distance and even feed it through a distorter to get some swirly, organic growths. It's a bit fiddly but pretty neat once you've got the swing of it.

Cheers - Chris

Guest Sao_Bento
Also have a look at the proximal shader, it returns the position on an object based on its distance to another specified object, and works on a vertex level - you can animate the start/end distance and even feed it through a distorter to get some swirly, organic growths. It's a bit fiddly but pretty neat once you've got the swing of it.

Cheers - Chris

Can you give a ballpark strategy for making proximal work like that? - i've tinkered with it a bit, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Can you give a ballpark strategy for making proximal work like that? - i've tinkered with it a bit, but I feel like I'm missing something.

No probs, here's a quickie scene to dissect, moving the little sphere around controls where the green turns red, and changing the 'End Distance' in the proximal settings changes the sphere's radius of impact. Going from 0-1000, say, would make the red texture grow starting from where the sphere is.

blobby_render.jpg

One note, careful about adding Proximal data to the HUD, seems to crash Cinema cold.

Cheers - Chris

Guest Sao_Bento
No probs, here's a quickie scene to dissect, moving the little sphere around controls where the green turns red, and changing the 'End Distance' in the proximal settings changes the sphere's radius of impact. Going from 0-1000, say, would make the red texture grow starting from where the sphere is.

blobby_render.jpg

One note, careful about adding Proximal data to the HUD, seems to crash Cinema cold.

Cheers - Chris

Thanks!!

Guest Sao_Bento
Indeed - this is the version that doesn't crash Cinema cold and wipe your hard drive ;)

"value added".

On the subject of animated alphas, I animated a logo write-on in after effects. I'd like to extrude that out and then round off the edges in C4d. I tried to use the render as an alpha texture on a plane and extrude that, but it didn't even come close to working. Am I going about this all wrong?

Really cool man . . . .thanks so much for that file. That is exactly what I was looking to do. Now I just need to learn how to control it better.

I love this place!!!

Really cool man . . . .thanks so much for that file. That is exactly what I was looking to do. Now I just need to learn how to control it better.

I love this place!!!

No problems people - if I was using this file in a full scene the first thing I'd do I think is tie the three 'End Distance' settings together via Xpresso, and control them all via one bit of user data - otherwise you're going to be continually opening and closing three-deep layered materials to get at the relevant settings, waiting for the one day, oh happy day, when Maxon wake up and give us a decent nodal shader setup to work with.

In this case you could add say 5% to the bump End Distance, that way the material would show bump first then change colour, which would be a pretty cool effect.

Cheers - Chris

Edited by ChrisC