Sign in to follow this  
Cutty Pastey

Dynamic shape animations

Hey - got this project where I need to animate organic shape-like-blobs in various colors over time. See pic below:

I'm experimenting with various techniques in AE right now. I'm looking for a way to do it with shape layers - but the blobs get looser and looser as they extend outwards from the center and the color changes. My last approach will be just to traditionally key frame every mask shape.

Anyone have any ideas. think of the blobs as pressure sensitive areas of the screen and when touched will light up red in high pressure areas and fade to blue in low pressure.

thanks any ideas are welcome as well as possible mathematical / scripting solution.

picture1ju7.png

Guest Sao_Bento
Hey - got this project where I need to animate organic shape-like-blobs in various colors over time. See pic below:

I'm experimenting with various techniques in AE right now. I'm looking for a way to do it with shape layers - but the blobs get looser and looser as they extend outwards from the center and the color changes. My last approach will be just to traditionally key frame every mask shape.

Anyone have any ideas. think of the blobs as pressure sensitive areas of the screen and when touched will light up red in high pressure areas and fade to blue in low pressure.

thanks any ideas are welcome as well as possible mathematical / scripting solution.

picture1ju7.png

What about having the shape expand as a result of blurring, with the sharpness of the edges being controlled by an instance of the Levels filter, applied after the blur? When it needs to expand, you keyframe the blur from 0 to X, and the Levels histogram from normal, to having the white point scooted way over towards the left. It's kind of the same as using the Choke and Spread tools. You could also auto trace the shapes and animate the thickness of a stroke applied to the result.

you could try layer>auto-trace and expand the blur etc to mess a little with the shape and just make a bunch of layers of the same basic shapes on top of one another, change the colors and voila

What about having the shape expand as a result of blurring, with the sharpness of the edges being controlled by an instance of the Levels filter, applied after the blur? When it needs to expand, you keyframe the blur from 0 to X, and the Levels histogram from normal, to having the white point scooted way over towards the left. It's kind of the same as using the Choke and Spread tools. You could also auto trace the shapes and animate the thickness of a stroke applied to the result.

you could try layer>auto-trace and expand the blur etc to mess a little with the shape and just make a bunch of layers of the same basic shapes on top of one another, change the colors and voila

you guys rock! excellent ideas! the levels are even creating a bit of a color change for me too! I just gotta work out all the details.

Since I don't have any shapes yet to work with I'm thinking of shooting some footage with my animation tablet as the surface (opaque white plastic) a very strong light source behind it and places my feet and hands and other objects (silly putty?) on it to get my source. hopefully that will work. As they will now be moving instead of static.

the only problem i'm seeing right now is how to get my edges smooth again - the levels trick makes look sharp and jagged.

Dont know if this helps (since its procedural and it sounds like you need more control) but assuming you have c4d (?) you can use an animated noise shader-->run throught the colorizer--> run through posterize. Will get you this effect:

movie

But Im sure you can do the same thing procedurally in AE.

hmm... How about trying the noise filter?

It can look better, but I did this really quick just to show you what I mean. Is this what you're trying to do?

Sorry about it being on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNg43zDXNFc

Dont know if this helps (since its procedural and it sounds like you need more control) but assuming you have c4d (?) you can use an animated noise shader-->run throught the colorizer--> run through posterize. Will get you this effect:

movie

But Im sure you can do the same thing procedurally in AE.

badass - these are great - gonna try it out with custom footage instead of noise. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks so much!

Here's the old Björk version of this effect:

http://www.showstudio.com/projects/031/031_start.html

NSFW once you figure out what's going on in the background (hint: Matthew Barney is in there also...or at least part of him).

I love this Bjork vid. I can say with near 99% certainty they are hitting the footage first with extreme levels of Median Noise, than Find Edges. Done!

Just a thought:

If you have C4D you wanna check out the proximal shader. It will color a surface based on proximity to assigned objects, could be particles in this case.

Other 3d apps probably have the same kind of shader, but I wouldn't know what they're called.

Hope you find your way!

Try using minimax on your alpha, it gives a bleed like that... so you would create the original shape, and then duplicate out instances, increasing the minimax setting on each layer to taste.

This would give you more control than something procedural, and it would be pretty easy to write a script to create your instances (coloring and minimax offsets). If you had that, then you could just create your animation with the smallest blobs, and when you were done, go through and create the instances.

Edited by chriskelley