Sign in to follow this  
CharlesB.

"21" opening shot

For those of you who saw this movie (which by the way came as big surprise to me, cause I didn't expect much out of it and found it pretty good) probably noticed the opening shot, where it starts from an aerial point of view of the city, and then travels down, then to the side, and then right in front of the actor riding a bike.

Anyone know how they did this ? It was absolutely amazing, the credits were not even finished and I was already totally stunned !

Guest Sao_Bento
For those of you who saw this movie (which by the way came as big surprise to me, cause I didn't expect much out of it and found it pretty good) probably noticed the opening shot, where it starts from an aerial point of view of the city, and then travels down, then to the side, and then right in front of the actor riding a bike.

Anyone know how they did this ? It was absolutely amazing, the credits were not even finished and I was already totally stunned !

Haven't seen it, but it's most likely a sophisticated use of camera mapping and other matte painting techniques, just like all the crazy shots in Fight Club where they zoom through vents, keyholes, etc. It's a show-off move because it takes a lot of up-front planning to pull off. I'm still more impressed by the opening jib move in "A Touch of Evil" though.

when i was living out in boston they shut down the bridge for filming. they had a helicopter out there and a truck with a boom that would extend out the side so it could look like it was over the water. let me see if i can find the site where they had pics.

***found http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N20/graphics/

scroll down a bit they have some photos. i have yet to see this movie, i hear its pretty good

thanks for the pics. I enjoyed the movie...it was def no Rounders, but it was decent. If they would have made it 1.5hrs rather than dragging every scene out, it would have been MUCH better.