Sign in to follow this  
pixel_pimp

FXPHD April 2008

Tim is doing a really kick-ass job over at fxphd. Last terms After Effects for Broadcast was super dope, he is really out doing himself and all other c4d training sites with this terms course!!! Just getting an insight on how he works from this first class has already today improved my work! Thanks Tim and if you can try and sign up totally worth the price just for this one course!!!

I literarily learned 8 new things this morning!

Edited by pixel_pimp

Tim is doing a really kick-ass job over at fxphd. Last terms After Effects for Broadcast was super dope, he is really out doing himself and all other c4d training sites with this terms course!!! Just getting an insight on how he works from this first class has already today improved my work! Thanks Tim and if you can try and sign up totally worth the price just for this one course!!!

I literarily learned 8 new things this morning!

Hey there, I'm in on that class too. It is the reason I finally signed myself up and so far -- It's good! See you around!

I`ll be interested in Digital Cinematography class.

I was looking on the site......how ...."Well worth it!!!"....is a regular course?

I've been in it since Semester 1, and it's probably worth every cent 9 out of 10 times. Occasionally you get a clunker, like this most recent semester's Typography class. But it's very rare that you'll be disappointed by an entire semester, and the guys running the show have a pretty low tolerance for instructors that don't hit the mark. They've stepped up the AE classes considerably with each instructor: Tim Clapham should be a permanent fixture at the place. I'd second the notion that his class alone was worth the entire cost of the semester. Now that they've been around for a while they have a pretty decent backlog of returning classes and instructors. Last semester's Photography for VFX class was a standout, and for a guy who's been dodging Mental Ray for too long, the MR for Max class was mega-useful.

And they have a pretty eclectic set of software on VPN to try out before riding the software slide to bankruptcy: Nuke, Toxic, Fusion, most of the Imagineer gang, PFtrack, Maya, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting.

The class descriptions for that one damn near made my head pop. though it's a bit more vfx geared and not so much mograph

Me too. I've found its so hard to get high level instruction and examples on After Effects. There is a TON of beginner and some intermediate stuff out there, but this looks to be incredibly advanced and thats what I'm looking for.

I am really considering signing up for the Cinema 4D and Design course vs. Cinversity. Would it be smart to enroll in FXPHD w/ attending school (full-time post-grad) as well, or should you just focus w/ the online course?

Some of those courses seem interesting...

How the structure?

As the term has already started I was wondering, do the tutors set tasks for each week,

making it kinda tricky to play catch up/get feedback?

Or is it easy to just jump in and start anytime?

Any thoughts from the people already on the courses would be appreciated.

thanks

- d

haha. i was about to come over here and post about this!

i took Tim's After Effects class last term at FXPHD and it was worth the price of the term. It looks like it will be the same case with this C4D class.

Tim is the kind of instructor that 'teaches by doing'. You end up understanding the principles as well as the function which is far more valuable than the "this tool does this" kind of teaching that dominates cineversity.

Also, John and Mike at fxphd are amazing admins who are there for you 24/7 it seems. And if you haven't subscribed to the podcast, I recommend it too.

Ok, i might sound like i work there, so let me balance some of this. I took a Typography class last term that was frankly a waste of time. The instructor seemed unprepared, the classes were disjointed and I don't feel like I am walking away with anything new.

I took a Typography class last term that was frankly a waste of time. The instructor seemed unprepared, the classes were disjointed and I don't feel like I am walking away with anything new.

Oh man...I took that one too. They still haven't posted the last 2 classes and that term ended weeks ago. they did the same thing with the advanced PFTrack class the term prior to that one. In the case of the PFTrack class it just felt like the lessons they were giving were super complex and required a lot of prep work which delayed their release. so it's not all bad.

but yeah, that type class was a total bust.

OT:Speaking of mograph/vfx podcasts, are there any other good ones out there?

http://www.pixelcorps.tv/the_vfx_show

http://effectscorner.blogspot.com/

...and the fxphd one already mentioned.

Mike Seymour is usually on the VFX Show and nearly always hosting the FXPHD show, but with the latter you get more general interest stuff. Of the two I prefer the VFX Show, and I say that despite vainly hoping that Alex Lindsay wouldn't go down every rat-hole to talk about his car, his home computer setup, his meetings, his illnesses, his Rebel Mac Unit experiences, his office mail, his software issues, or the customs of Zimbabwe.

haha. i was about to come over here and post about this!

i took Tim's After Effects class last term at FXPHD and it was worth the price of the term. It looks like it will be the same case with this C4D class.

Tim is the kind of instructor that 'teaches by doing'. You end up understanding the principles as well as the function which is far more valuable than the "this tool does this" kind of teaching that dominates cineversity.

Also, John and Mike at fxphd are amazing admins who are there for you 24/7 it seems. And if you haven't subscribed to the podcast, I recommend it too.

Ok, i might sound like i work there, so let me balance some of this. I took a Typography class last term that was frankly a waste of time. The instructor seemed unprepared, the classes were disjointed and I don't feel like I am walking away with anything new.

I took the typo class too but I was not that disapointed because it was my referral free class from you, thanks again mamurphy ;)

This class was an exception and the first classes I watched from this term were really great. Having Tim Clapham and now Gareth Edwards is invaluable. These english guys have really something,

They teach the right way. I may sound like I work there too :lol:

Guest Sao_Bento
vainly hoping that Alex Lindsay wouldn't go down every rat-hole to talk about his car, his home computer setup, his meetings, his illnesses, his Rebel Mac Unit experiences, his office mail, his software issues, or the customs of Zimbabwe.

:lol: :lol: :lol: