Sign in to follow this  
Ratbaggy

Ovo?

Anyone seen the movie "The Island"? I have no idea why but the webpage / video totally reminded me of it.

Instead of growing a farm of clones for organ transplants, they are growing a farm of designers for corporate concept transplants. Maybe the big ugly truth is hidden behind all the innocent white reflections.

+1 smells odd.

I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who has done spec work for these people.

This is pure speculation based on very little fact but at this point, but at this point, I think that this company is looking all over the world to find that 1 talented person out of 100 that's willing to work for free or for very little money. When a company has an international pool of artists ready and waiting, they're bound to come across somebody out there that's willing to do what they ask for free or for nothing at all. I think they're expecting high turn-around but to compensate their creative pool is international.

I think it's suspicious that www.ovo.com has 2 videos that "paint a picture" ... but that's it. You can't click anywhere else on the site to learn about the company or recent projects, no testimonials from previous artists. Just two videos.

I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who has done spec work for these people.

I think with this it's kinda like a pyramid scam or nigerian letter, someone who has been scammed by them won't be

posting here or anywhere how badly they got scammed. It's just too shamefull.

I think it's suspicious that www.ovo.com has 2 videos that "paint a picture" ... but that's it. You can't click anywhere else on the site to learn about the company or recent projects, no testimonials from previous artists. Just two videos.

or contact details ... and so on.

the sheer number of videos they need is a bit sobering. Not that it wouldn't be nice to watch a slick mograph piece for every subject I'm curious about.

I'd be curious to see how they approach subjects that aren't socially graceful or fun to look at. Will "genocide" have an entry?

A friend of my just finished a preview for them.

He told me that Foreign Office did a work for them and OVO paid them. He said they change the script in the middle of the work and took a little bit long to paid, but they paid.

He said to ask the money before send the animation...

it looks to me like they are trying to get something going by creating a "really nice website" in hopes that someone with deep pockets will pick up the project and run with it...

that may be why they may be slow to pay or looking for hand outs; because they really aren't as big as they make themselves out to be...

but I may be stating the obvious...

That website reminds me of THX 1138. The white room at the end.

You just know there's something hiding behind all that clean whiteness.

...something they don't want us to know about!

A friend of my just finished a preview for them.

He told me that Foreign Office did a work for them and OVO paid them. He said they change the script in the middle of the work and took a little bit long to paid, but they paid.

He said to ask the money before send the animation...

My Friend finished the animation and called OVO last Friday to know about the animation. They said the style of the animation was good, but doesn't work for the subject that they want and they asked if he wants to do another 30" preview. He said NO, Thanks!

After that, he sent a email for the girl asking her to delete his work from OVO's Computer. She said it is ok and she was really sorry about it and maybe that work wasn't for her, cause she wasn't felling well about this things...

So, I think if someone wants to do something for them... be careful... maybe it is not what they want and you are not going to get pay for it.

If the OVO girl confesses to one of the freelancers that she herself is thinking of leaving, then that's a big red-flag in my books.

Hope your friend didn't invest too much of his time on the animation. :-/

Edited by pamunoz

we still haven't got anything conclusive.

but it's certainly not painting a pretty picture.

A friend sent me an invitation to these guys, site looks nice & all, but... how did it go for ya?

Just to follow up, I spoke with them on the phone, and:

1) They'll allow you to send watermarked low-res previews for the unpaid 30" preview.

2) They have multiple freelancers working on the same preview subject SO you're competing with others for the opportunity to get paid.

3) To their credit, in my case, I asked them specifically for something that no one else was working on, and they sent me a new subject. That doesn't mean there won't eventually be more people competing with you later though.

4) They're willing to pay more than what they quote in their initial email if you can do 3D work. The initial email says they'll pay 1500 - 2500 Euros per clip (2500 Euros = around $3900 US/CAN) so if you can add some 3D to it, you're looking at over $4000 per clip.

5) They sent me a sample production schedule, the first video in each category has to be completed in 2 weeks, the remaining get 1 - 1.5 weeks. At 3-5 clips per category, that means they pay about $6000/category for low end stuff, and ($4000 x 5) $20,000/category for high end stuff. :huh:

The fact that they'd be willing to pay $20,000+ for about 6 weeks of work is more than suspect to me, and I really have a hard time believing it, so proceed at your own risk. My brain tells me there's a catch, but after conversing with them quite a bit over the past month, I can't honestly figure out what their scam could be. They DO have an on-site team of artists, so they may be trying to steal ideas from the 30" previews as others have suspected earlier in this thread. Also keep in mind that earlier in this thread, someone mentioned knowing someone who has been paid by them, so this could go either way.

The difficult part is obviously getting past the free 30" preview into actual paid work. From our conversations, I've picked up that they have a lot of companies, not just single freelancers, competing for the 30" previews, so sometimes you'll be up against entire teams of people.

Let it be known that I never actually did do the 30" preview for them. I was planning on doing it just to see what would happen, but I've been busy with paid work all month and obviously paid work takes precedence. I may still do it, but not for at least another month as I'm booked up.

I forgot to mention, one of the signs that this MAY actually be a company with really deep pockets: They own www.ovo.com.

I know a little bit about domain prices etc. and a three letter domain (especially one with vowel-consonant-vowel) would cost a TON of money. I've looked them up on WhoIs, and it looks like ovo.com was originally scooped up in 1996, and then sold to them in 2007 (at least that's how I interpret the whois directory, if someone more knowledgeable in these things wants to chime in I'd appreciate it. I really doubt they've actually owned it since 1996 and only paid reg. fee to get it.)

So, if they had the $$$ to buy a domain like that, they have the $$$ to pay for these videos.

edit: Here's the Whois info:

WHOIS information for: ovo.com:

[whois.register.it]REGISTER.IT SPA - Whois Server Version 1.4

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET and .ORG domains.

Domain name: OVO.COM

Created on: 1996-07-10

Updated on: 2007-06-25

Expires on: 2016-07-09

Registrant Name: ANDREA ANDREINI

Registrant Address: Via Maroncelli, 9

Registrant City: Milano

Registrant Postal Code: 20154

Registrant Country: IT

Administrative Contact Organization: Andrea Andreini

Administrative Contact Name: Andrea Andreini

Administrative Contact Address: Via Maroncelli, 9

Administrative Contact City: Milano

Administrative Contact Postal Code: 20154

Administrative Contact Country: IT

Administrative Contact Email: andrea.andreini@ovocom.it

Administrative Contact Tel: +39 02 290361

Administrative Contact Fax: +39 02 29036405

Technical Contact Organization: Technical Support

Technical Contact Name: Technical Support

Technical Contact Address: Via A Ponti, 6

Technical Contact City: Bergamo

Technical Contact Postal Code: 24126

Technical Contact Country: IT

Technical Contact Email: support@register.it

Technical Contact Phone: +39 035 3230400

Technical Contact Fax: +39 035 3230312

Primary Name Server Hostname: NS1.REGISTER.IT

Secondary Name Server Hostname: NS2.REGISTER.IT

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu May 15 18:52:53 2008 <<<

Verio Inc. - Growing Your Business, One Click At A Time

Edited by biggieboy

Gloria,

You are asking people to do work for free and then saying maybe you'll pay them or maybe not. If I were hiring a producer...I'm sure you'd sign right up if i said "Work for me a few weeks or a month, but if your style doesn't fit my style, then I won't pay you and feel free to keep working here just in case at some point I like how you produce.

How many times do people need to be reminded......."you get what you pay for".

On Jun 18, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Gloria Ungaretti wrote:

Hello

I am an Italian producer and I am working to the start up of a new TV channel (web, satellite and cable) that will be lanced in 2009 in the United States. We are looking for new collaborations with companies specialized in post production. I saw that your web site and I thought that you might be interested in the project.

We are building a huge encyclopaedia made by 3 minutes docu-clips (the clip could be shorter or longer, depending on the script). We want to transpose all the the information into this short format that has to be creative, original and informative at the same time.

We provide the script and the speaker and we will give the video makers access to some of the most important images and footages libraries in the world.

Watch our presentation in order to have an overview of the project. You only need to copy this link in to your browser and you will be able to download the file.

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/OvO.mp4

We are already collaborating with some important companies all over the world but we still need new collaborations in order to achieve the number of 1500 clips by the end of the year.

Our project is divided into two big sections: the OVO pedia in which we have all categories corresponding to the different domains of the human knowledge (anatomy, geography, philosophy and so on) and the OVO bio composed by the biographies of the men and the women who marked the history (musicians, politicians revolutionary men, writers, intellectuals and so on).

Each category has a specific style and all the topics have to be consistent with the format of the pilot video. We want to explore all the potentialities of the videoclip.

Look at some of the clips that have already been produced by OVO:

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/pompei.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/a...ircolatorio.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/promessisposi.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/luna.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/cactus.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/edipo.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/vodka-int.mp4

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/chopin.mov

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/storiaISLAM.mov

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/Coccinella.avi

http://www.ovovideo.com/ftp/videovisioni/pericles.mov

For each clip we have an Italian and an English version but we are already writing the scripts in the different European languages.

Each company or free lancer who want to work on a category can try to make a 30” seconds preview by showing an idea, a visual treatment. If you want to collaborate with us, we will find a category that fit your skills and we'll send you a script and a visual treatment.

Then you will have to send us a 30" preview (you have one week to do it) in order to show us how you're going treat the subject.

If we like your idea and your style we will start to collaborate with with a regular contract.

We will discuss later about how much we could pay the clips, cause it will depend on the quality of your work. We will be able to evaluate it once we receive your preview.

We do not pay the 30" preview but if you get a category and you'll support our production flow and I guarantee you will work on an entire category (about 15-20 clips).

Let me know if you are interested in our project as soon as possible.

If you need further information, just contact me.

I look forward from hearing from you.

Regards.

Gloria Ungaretti

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread until now. I went as far as getting a subject from them, then I didn't really do anything with it. I checked back on their FTP over 4 months later just because I was curious, and they were still getting free submissions for the same subject, at that time there were like 10 from different people for the same subject. SO, unless you want to be one of many people obviously being jerked around for free work, I wouldn't bother with this company at all.

Guest Sao_Bento
I once heard that Getty Images takes away $15 Million Dollar from photographers every year. By supporting stock agency you take away all that money that could be used to create new work.

Do you mean "dealing with a stock agency" as opposed to hiring photographers to do a shoot?