Sign in to follow this  
docphibs

phibs new reel

my first reel i've ever cracked... and i did the cuts quickly so i can have something ready for inspire on friday (catchin a plane tomorrow morning... wake up in an hour... YIKES!!!)

anyways... i rarely show what i do on here... but i post somewhat often. So for those who don't know me... I'm from Cincinnati Ohio and I have one year left to go at the University of Cincinnati's DAAP program with a undergrad in digital design - with a focus on motion graphics. I'm also 22 years old.

some good ol' feeback is always welcome - gimme y'er worst please. I take criticism well.

http://www.dostuffwiththings.com/

and i'll see you at inspire if you're there... just look for a skinny guy in a black ball hat hanging with some SCAD crew near the "carbon project" screens - i'll be around there at some point i'm sure check that crazy shit out. Time for me to get my 1 hour of sleep.

hope ya like

Edited by docphibs

may want to cut the reel down a bit... you go to scad?

"I'm from Cincinnati Ohio and I have one year left to go at the University of Cincinnati's DAAP program with a undergrad in digital design - with a focus on motion graphics." - to answer where i go ;)

and anything particular you think that it should be slimmed down on?

Edited by docphibs

Great to see some awesome work coming out of Ohio! When are you moving out to LA? :)

haha well... good question. I'm going to buck ny this june through december... beyond that i garduate in june '09... and only the future knows what's in store so i hope it's bright.

and yeah.... i gotta represent the buckeye state dawg

p.s. - inspire'08 was sweet... nothing better than asking eric anderson from DK "do you make the hard cuts standing up?" hahaha

Edited by docphibs

Did you intern at Buck?

yeah i did last june through december in the LA office... and will do so again in the nyc office june-december

(thanks for the compliments everyone)

Phibs! Hey man, nice meeting you at Inspire. The reel is looking strong, man. Are you all done with school this May?

I think the length is fine. If you could get it closer to 1:00, maybe it'd be a little tighter, but I don't think it's much to worry about. My only other suggestion is to get those reel credits up soon. The Buck stuff really leaps out and begs for an explanation of some sort.

Edited by juicysauce

Phibs! Hey man, nice meeting you at Inspire. The reel is looking strong, man. Are you all done with school this May?

I think the length is fine. If you could get it closer to 1:00, maybe it'd be a little tighter, but I don't think it's much to worry about. My only other suggestion is to get those reel credits up soon. The Buck stuff really leaps out and begs for an explanation of some sort.

nice meetin ya too! I'm done june of '09 - so i'm in no HUGE hurry to get my site done. But I'm workin on getting it done asap... just kinda wondering wheeeen exactly i'll do it... school is really getting on my back. Hopefully i can find time to get it done by this weekend... but kiiinda doubt it.

And i can't really... think of a good way to have something act as a temporary way to explain what i did until i get my actual fully designed site up and running... (if anyone has any suggestions...)

and agreed on cutting it down a hair. i've heard that comment a few times here and from elsewhere... so not a prob.

:)

You could design a tidy pdf with screenshots and short descriptions of the work you did, and then place a link to that pdf underneath the quicktime for now. Maybe it is a 7x5" layout with one page per piece of work

Just an idea for a temporary solution until the full site goes up :)

You could design a tidy pdf with screenshots and short descriptions of the work you did, and then place a link to that pdf underneath the quicktime for now. Maybe it is a 7x5" layout with one page per piece of work

Just an idea for a temporary solution until the full site goes up :)

duh... that's a simple solution :)

thanks

really nice reel! the skateboard animation is ill! love it.

if you cut it down i would take out those scenes with "there are many scars". at least one of the two at the beginning. the one at the end is good! the first two are not that strong. then the second heart-love-thing, may be dont seperate them. at the first watch i thought it was a repetition.

anyways, VERY cool work. cant believe you're only 22 years old. props!

sorry 4 my bad english.. ;)

greetz

really nice reel! the skateboard animation is ill! love it.

if you cut it down i would take out those scenes with "there are many scars". at least one of the two at the beginning. the one at the end is good! the first two are not that strong. then the second heart-love-thing, may be dont seperate them. at the first watch i thought it was a repetition.

anyways, VERY cool work. cant believe you're only 22 years old. props!

sorry 4 my bad english.. ;)

greetz

man thanks! I'll definitely be reworking this reel really soon. And definitely take your comments into consideration. And I tried to find time to get a pdf or SOMETHING up there this past weekend but no way in hell. And no way in hell is it possible this coming weekend. I'll have it soon... just gotta find that time. When I do I'll revive this post ;)

So yeah, it's dope and all. What I was wondering is how you achieved the very surreal grass at the beginning with the hint of DOF.

Did I mention it's dope?

and yes you did mention it was dope... thank you very much.

well... not much magic to that at all... I just found two stock photos of grass i touched up and pieced together... i dunno if I blurred the grass at the front but i'd say it was probably already like that...

the beginning of my reel is part of a piece i entered for the webby awards and for a personal project i've been doing. if you guys wanna check that animation out further...

oh and the audio was done by Ryan Limke who works at Light-Borne in cincinnati... www.light-borne.com

living (original)

http://www.dostuffwiththings.com/movies/li...inal1_small.mov

interactive advertising (edited and also had to be scaled to 720x480... there was nothing in the competition rules on size...)

http://dostuffwiththings.com/movies/webby/...Advertising.mov

Edited by docphibs

well... not much magic to that at all... I just found two stock photos of grass i touched up and pieced together... i dunno if I blurred the grass at the front but i'd say it was probably already like that...

I thought for sure there was something more to it. It came out so surreal, really went well with those super mario dudes. Cheers.

So as you know i check out you stuff all the time and i remembered when i saw this the first time and i was amazed what i was watching. Props my man props. You did a hell of a job with the reel. Look forward to seein more things.