Sign in to follow this  
scottgordon

Quick! What's a good video camera

Have to go get one RIGHT NOW. Just need it to work with iMovie and look good, around $700....

I use the cannon hv20 its great so far. I have not ever used it with imovie but have used it several times with fcp and it shoots great quality for under $1000. I think they just upgraded to the hv30 but i bet you can find one at a best buy or circuit city. hope this helps

Beauty is only skin deep - it is what is inside that counts ;)

Both, the hv20 and hv30 are great for its price and if your mac is fast enough, I can recommend it for highdef home video pleasure

Guest Sao_Bento
Whoah! The HV30 is butt ugly!

In the history of cameras, it's far from the worst.

istockphoto_3135322_antique_movie_camera_isolated_on_white_background.jpg

You sound like one of those RED people to be concerned about what a camera *looks* like.

You sound like one of those RED people to be concerned about what a camera *looks* like.

No no, for me it's not about what cameras look like. It's about what everything looks like.

And to be honest, i have to admit that in retro way the HV30 looks kinda 80's cool!

canovisione65.png

edit.. sorry my bad english.

Edited by Un-Ski

Guest Sao_Bento
No no, for me it's not about what cameras look like. It's about what everything looks like.

And to be honest, i have to admit that in retro way the HV30 looks kinda 80's cool!

canovisione65.png

edit.. sorry my bad english.

I think I had one of those.

Thanks all - got the HV30, works like a charm...

Did you notice any problem with the autofocus, when for example you zoom on something? Does it keep the focus? because my HV20 doesn't. Basically, what's the difference between the HV30 and HV20?

Guest Sao_Bento
I was planning of getting one of those from ebay.

It was the "RED revolution" of 1986.

haven't had any problem with the autofocus.

Sonys don't seem to work well with iMovie - the tapeless ones don't work at all.

I know you already got your cam, but the AVCHD cams - especially the panasonic ones are pretty killer and designed to work hand in hand w/ iMovie and also now work perfectly w/ FCP. It's really nice to be able to have quality video (shoots h264 blu-ray 1440x1080 - new one shoots full 1920x1080) tapeless (shoots to SD cards) and in your pocket (it's the size of a standard aluminum beverage can). But I will confess that low light conditions will give you a really crappy/grainy image.

I still don't see much benefit in tapeless.

but maybe that's just me.

We did a job for SONY a few months ago. For one of the shots they wanted to show a side by side of the HD and SD AVCHD Handycams. It took me days to figure out how to get it to a codec that FCP would understand so I could convert it to he Avid. Maybe they've updated things since then, but I was pulling my hair out that those cams were so Mac-unfriendly.

I know it's probably too late to help, but sometimes you can get used DVX100's for under a grand on Ebay. I've never had great luck with Cannon and the color on a panasonic is second to none. Build your own Depth of Field adapter and read some tutorials on dvxuser.com and in a week or two that extra $300 bucks you spent will look like a really smart investment when people think all of your home videos were shot on film.

We did a job for SONY a few months ago. For one of the shots they wanted to show a side by side of the HD and SD AVCHD Handycams. It took me days to figure out how to get it to a codec that FCP would understand so I could convert it to he Avid. Maybe they've updated things since then, but I was pulling my hair out that those cams were so Mac-unfriendly.

For a while iMovie '08 was the only thing you could use that would recognize the AVCHD card as a camera. But the have it in FCP now - at least I saw it in a demo for FCP express when I was curious about what the difference was. Here's the link. http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/ So yeah, maybe I jumped the gun - maybe it's only for the express version. Which seems kinda dumb to have a feature in an express version and not in the full version. Anyway... when I use iMovie to bring the footage in - it converts it to Apple Intermediate Codec and you have the choice of like full res or half (or something like that).