Sign in to follow this  
endquote

Software interfaces in films -- who's making this stuff?

Me too... I wonder what he's going to bring to the Flow concept.

This mostly, I would presume.

AssetTrackingLarge.gif

Plus some input about specific workflows for programs he's using. I don't think Mark does any of the database programming. ;-)

Mylenium

Hey guys.

Perhaps time to chime in here.

I shall deal with this in order and by person.

Endquote

Thanks for the good note.

It is kind of tricky to follow up on things after the fact with the movies. The creation of the graphics for the movies is not always as straightforward as it looks and there can be quite a chain of people involved. Designer > Playback Company > VFX House etc. It can be tricky to find the individuals and their portfolios as the original person is rarely credited and lost in the chain.

This list should give you some starting points. Some of the usual suspects and maybe some others.

People

Noel Rubin

Toby Glover

John Hill

Mark Pearce

Companies

Scarab Digital

Blackbox Digital

Useful Companies

isolve

Playback Tech

WestMedia Film

Decca Digital

G-Creative

More extensive listings and views of my stuff can be found on my Flickr pages.

Call of Duty 4 Concepts

Deja Vu

The Island

Mr & Mrs Smith

My Little Eye

Triple X 2

Meeshee

Tomb Raider

Mission Impossible 3

Cody Banks 2

The World Is Not Enough

Domino

Spy Game

The Bourne Identity

Children of Men

Blade 2

Revelation

Albert Omoss...

I am far from the only person who has specialized in this, although I did stick with it longer than most people generally do. The reasons for which are tied into my current career and the fact that I switched from making false interfaces to real ones. I originally wanted it to be the other way around.

Mankeroo...

I know it gets silly sometimes and the stuff can end up rather unrealistic. There are a myriad of reasons for this and not always the fault of the individuals creating it. We do try but you have to remember. This is created for a client and you are the designer. In the end the job is for them and they get what they want. It requires a lot of skill and patience to guide that so that you do manage to create something good and different (or not as the case should sometimes be). The latter, is one part of the game I do not miss.

Mylenium...

Who really cares if it works or not. It's the movies. It is primarily about telling a story at the most and at least, nothing more than set decoration. Visually things have to have a lot more 'spark' on screen so that it works on camera. There are also great holes involved in licensing and copyright. I can make it look like Windows or Macintosh. I then have to have everything approved my Microsoft or Apple. Not always a problem but if there is any negative element in its usage you lose permission. Easier to just not bother.

Funnily enough, I have never done a "glowing holo look". Maybe you are mistaking me for someone else.

I do appreciate some people chiming in here and whether it is justified or not, I understand the feelings.

I can appreciate the great talent and skill you have Lutz (sorry...Mylenium), but on an interpersonal note it is very easy to be misunderstood when communicating via text and also with the language barrier. When I read your original post it did come across as rather dismissive, which is in its own way insulting.

It isn't always what we do, but how we do it that.

I am one of the most sarcastic people you may ever meet, but learnt long ago that it does not translate to text.

We all work in an fluff industry, you included. What we do is important to us and can be great fun and we are all very privileged to do it and earn a living from it. When things change you change. You go do something else. In my case it was a development.

I didn't quit as such, more moved on. There are many reasons why I didn't enjoy the old work as much as the new. One of the worst, ironically is that I was thinking too much about the job. Trying to make it too real in some cases. There just isn't time to do that on a film turnover. In doing that as well, I started to create concepts for real systems as well as the fantasy ones. A very fortuitous meeting with the Gridiron guys one year showed we had a lot of crossover with ideas so making the move there was a logical step.

The primary reason I don't do much film stuff anymore is that I have a full time job with Gridiron on a fantastic project. I am always tempted and there are regular opportunities that pain me to turn down but I happen to like living as much as working and it is important to do both.

Flow

I have moved to Gridiron software and am currently working on Flow. My job there is the interaction and visual design. There are alot of techniques developed for the film UI stuff I can employ and we are creating a background tool for creatives that looks to cut off a lot of the nasty edges when it comes to working with a lot of files. As a motion graphics artist and a UI designer (even if fantasy) it was a perfect marriage.

The pic you posted by the way is an old concept now. Looking much more interesting these days.

Still the older stuff on the site but as biased as I am, this will change the way you work for good.

Flow

End Note

Thanks to everyone else for the good notes.

I am working on a new reel and was just waiting to get hold of the last HD sources for it. I'll let you know when it is done.

Cheers

Mark

Even though i changed the post for respect of not knowing you personally Mylenium i do not need to hide behind some pseudonym .

Btw there is nothing private about the net and if your so into hiding your identity why do you even post ,make tutorials or sell presets ?

My name is Jim and if people want to know who you are on the net all they need do is look its not rocket science .

Edited by filmbot

I'm not really the KGB.... :-(

Anyway, Mark, thank you for putting together that post. The flickr stuff is going to be fun to look through.

Funnily enough, I have never done a "glowing holo look". Maybe you are mistaking me for someone else.

MI3? Children of men? TWINE? Saw quite a bit of that there. You know, those all blue line art on black... ;-)

Mylenium

As an aside...

I am regularly asked to work on projects in a variety of places... well, either in the UK (London) and the US (Los Angeles).

I do turn down this work as it stands.

The next question is usually if I know anyone else who can help.

Bear in mind the qualifications here...

Most people require on site. It is not something always conducive to remote working.

Must be fast and good quality. Very fast at times.

A background in graphic design is very useful along with an interest in UI (more dependent on layout skills than motion)

Anally retentive on detail.

Appreciation that you will be asked to do a spinny wireframe thingy at some point (buy your medication or kleenex beforehand)

It can be a fascinating area to work in and you regularly get to be on set as well. You will get to meet some of the nicest, interesting and most talented people in any creative industry as well as some of the worst examples of the human race you could ever encounter. Not many areas of design will offer that opportunity but it is no cake walk. It can be a very high pressure environment. So perhaps the last qualification required is the the ability to be screamed at because somebody wanted something in blue instead of green without thumping them.

If you think you can cover the above then drop me a line via the mograph contacts. I will maintain a list I can forward to people in future. I will make no personal assurances for people or recommendations. I can only do that for people I know personally. It will be up to you to demonstrate to the clients, your abilities and skill and any attempt to try and infer a recommendation from me will get you removed it.

It sounds harsh that last line I know, but I cannot vouch for people I don't personally know, even off a good reel or portfolio. I cant speak for other people. You and your work has to speak for itself.

Cheers

Mark

Even though i changed the post for respect of not knowing you personally Mylenium i do not need to hide behind some pseudonym .

Btw there is nothing private about the net and if your so into hiding your identity why do you even post ,make tutorials or sell presets ?

My name is Jim and if people want to know who you are on the net all they need do is look its not rocket science .

Well, but then again you cannot expect me to really make sense of someone who just pops in with his alias, do you? Apart from that it's simply not prudent. You wouldn't call Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. "Lizzy" in public, would you? Proper titulation is just as much a sign of respect as all the rest and if you can't adhere to this simple code, then why even care for aliases? Nobody's hiding behind anything but you know what, I'm just as much Mylenium as I'm Lutz and I hold that alter-ego dear, regardless of what you and others may think. Maybe you think it's prickish and false, but then again we could trade insults all day, couldn't we, Jim?

Mylenium

Who really cares if it works or not.

I think you're missing the point. The original question came from a person being a developer (of whatever kind of apps and realworld interfaces), hence the remark about the impracticability of some of the - of course - more posh stuff created for film.

Mylenium

What was it Tony Stark i mean Robert Downey Jr said , " I am Ironman"

Btw i dont believe in monarchs and when i vote i vote for Non of the Above just like Monty Brewster wanted us to.

What was it Tony Stark i mean Robert Downey Jr said , " I am Ironman"

Btw i dont believe in monarchs and when i vote i vote for Non of the Above just like Monty Brewster wanted us to.

Well, now we are approaching the level of "belief" and possibly "faith"? *ugh* Time to get my ass out of here and throw in some more rounds of cycling... (for retaining the shape of same). Guys, have fun. Da missus is leaving the building.

Mylenium

I think you're missing the point. The original question came from a person being a developer (of whatever kind of apps and realworld interfaces), hence the remark about the impracticability of some of the - of course - more posh stuff created for film.

Mylenium

It is the point and perhaps one they missed in their original perception of what it is supposed to be.

Story first. Realism is second fiddle.

These things are made for the purpose they are being used for. i have done realistic and silly. They are designed to work in a visual and regularly non-realistic way. They are never intended to be realistic by design although sometimes the clients preconceptions and reference to prior art can drag that into absurd territory.

Despite everything i have done i don't watch a film for these reasons. It is the whole. The good or bad screens don't make that much difference (except for one film which was so bad it made me angry)

Mark

Hi all -- new guy here. I'm not a motion graphics person, but rather a software developer looking to connect with some motion graphics folks. I tend to work in weird types of software -- stuff displayed on big walls and tables, cell phones, some web stuff, lots of things that never get past the prototype stage, etc. Half the reason I watch movies these days is to see how software is depicted in them. It's great to see what sort of interfaces people come up with when unencumbered by things like reality. ;)

So: Who does this sort of work? Are there other forums or blogs or anything dedicated to it? If not, I'd think about making one just to bring more attention to this stuff.

One of the great ironies here is that I usually look to people like yourself for inspiration.

Look at what people are doing in labs and personal projects and see if there is some element we can use.

We don't invent anything. Just take amazing projects people are already developing and making them look like they work (or not).

Mark

One of the great ironies here is that I usually look to people like yourself for inspiration.

Look at what people are doing in labs and personal projects and see if there is some element we can use.

We don't invent anything. Just take amazing projects people are already developing and making them look like they work (or not).

Hi Mark -- thanks for chiming in! I think there is definitely a certain amount of mutual inspiration happening between films and real software, or at least films and software R&D. I've been fascinated by the movie style for a while as an opportunity to make stuff without the limitations imposed by the web, or specific hardware/software, or users, or reality in general. I briefly thought about trying to get into that industry, but got sidetracked by the new stuff coming out which starts to make some of the movie-style stuff possible. That's the sort of work I'm doing lately and have been loving it so far, but I still love the stuff in the movies.

The difficulty I have with the movie stuff is that there's no real way to look at it "up close" until the DVD ships. I really wish there was a mograph or motionographer for this sort of work. Perhaps the pile of links you posted would be a good starting point for me to make one.

Some stuff my company has been up to:

http://endquote.com/projects/surface/retail/

http://endquote.com/projects/surface/restaurant/

http://blog.lookorfeel.com/index.php/2007/...ultitouch-wall/

http://blog.lookorfeel.com/index.php/2007/...-canvas-videos/

Hi Mark -- thanks for chiming in! I think there is definitely a certain amount of mutual inspiration happening between films and real software, or at least films and software R&D. I've been fascinated by the movie style for a while as an opportunity to make stuff without the limitations imposed by the web, or specific hardware/software, or users, or reality in general. I briefly thought about trying to get into that industry, but got sidetracked by the new stuff coming out which starts to make some of the movie-style stuff possible. That's the sort of work I'm doing lately and have been loving it so far, but I still love the stuff in the movies.

The difficulty I have with the movie stuff is that there's no real way to look at it "up close" until the DVD ships. I really wish there was a mograph or motionographer for this sort of work. Perhaps the pile of links you posted would be a good starting point for me to make one.

Some stuff my company has been up to:

http://endquote.com/projects/surface/retail/

http://endquote.com/projects/surface/restaurant/

http://blog.lookorfeel.com/index.php/2007/...ultitouch-wall/

http://blog.lookorfeel.com/index.php/2007/...-canvas-videos/

Thanks for the links, some great stuff there.

I have been asked to contribute to a few places and hopefully that will change stuff. Looking to set up a blog dedicated to this as well. Only issue is time. As always.

Cheers

Mark

Endquote

That stuff looks really nice are you working for MS or using the Surface tech for some other things?

Post some more when you can looks great .

Those first two links are Surface demos I built for MS. The other two are using custom multitouch hardware from Obscura.

We're working on other cool stuff, but it's pretty secret right now. Our proper website will be up at www.stimulant.io in the next week or so.

Edited by endquote