Sign in to follow this  
Quietstorm627

Am I wrong

Make sure you calm yourself down and don't enter the workforce at such an insane pace. You have to limit how much time you give to your job/boss/career otherwise it can screw you up and make you sick. A friend of mine told me about a 35yr old who walked out of a pitch and had a stroke, right then and there. I know, rare case, but true. The reality is, life is about balance. There are too may sites to see, people to meet, drinks to be had, friendships to celebrate, etc, etc in life to focus on one thing. When you are 50 years old and you look back on your life, you will not remember what broadcast package you did when you were 28 (nor will almost anyone else), you will remember the amazing person you worked on it with. Names come and go, egos fight and jockey for position, money is made and loss. Make sure you take your time to enjoy it. Every day is a blessing. Take it from a 31 year old (anxiety ridden) man who is living the LA mograph dream and deciding it's not for him and his family (not that it's a bad place). When you go home, lay down on your bed to sleep at night, just remember...your work is not life or death...nobody died because you didn't hit that deadline or learn that new plugin. Life is amazing, make sure you get in your fair share of living it!

Edited by BOY:1:DER

The bitchy sister to that catch-22 is what happens to your work when all you do is practice and learn about your work. Creativity is an engine that seems to run effortlessly and without maintenance, but in reality it needs a constant refuelling of daily experiences to keep running properly. To crank out new ideas, you have to put plenty of experiential input in the tank. If all you're feeding it is the experience of doing graphic design, or sitting in front of the computer, your engine is going to start spitting out some pretty shitty products, and generally choking on its own sooty fumes. You can shut yourself in for a while and burn through most of your life's experiential fuel, but at some point your brain starts turning out really boring played-out shit. I couldn't convince myself of that in the first five years either, but goddam if it hasn't proven true a million times over as I've learned to take real breaks (several weeks/months at a time) and come back to make the best stuff in my portfolio. Not everyone needs that kind of space, but they're probably better at distancing themselves in their time off than I am.

Binky, you took the words right out of my mouth.

My experience has been that people who have no other interests outside of work tend to put out pretty derivative stuff (no insult to anyone, I'm often quite guilty of this too) because all they see every day is what other people in their field are doing. I think creativity is the result of the cross pollination of ideas. The interesting thing is that it sometimes works better if you don't look at any sort of art. Go camping, go on a date, read a book, watch a documentary, go out drinking, play some mini-golf. It's your observation and interpretation of the world around you that will make your work interesting.

That being said, of course there has to be a balance. You have to know how to use the tools to create the ideas you come up with.

damnit firebetty, you've just made me make a dinner reservation and finish washing the dishes b4 she comes home. lol :H

and your definition of nagging is spot on. because I definitely had lost the ability to listen when my ex was talking. :blink:

LOL...GOOD! Now make that a regular habit, and you'll be getting so much "action" you won't have time to worry about work ;)