Sign in to follow this  
Ratbaggy

Book recommendations please

any one got suggestions of decent literature focussing on the priciples behind effective timing, emotion, expression etc for the screen?

could be traditional film based I guess.

Like a design theory book, but time-based we figures.

Cheers in advance.

to give a bit more background on what and why I ask.

I just got a lovely shipment of typography and design history books and was wondering if there might have been something similar for screen based media/film.

maybe that helps clear it up.

I also might be dreaming

I picked up Graphic Design The New Basics, and although it's not totally dedicated to time based design it does have a chapter on time and motion, as well as covering the rest of design basics.

The only other books I can think of would be more focused on character animation.

I was going to pick this book up myself. Is it pretty good? I need to brush up on the fundamentals and have been looking for a good read and I noticed this just came out. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Jim

If you've already learned design, it's nothing new. I like it as a refresher of some principles that might slip your mind. There are good examples in it, and it's a fast read. So far, after the first 5 chapters or so, it doesn't delve very deep into the various principles, but it does cover enough ground to give one an understanding and enough knowledge to go learn more on their own. I also picked up the ABCs of the Bauhaus and Design Theory per Sao's recommendation, and it has been a good read.

As for mograph books, a quick Google search turned up this, maybe someone here has read it and can give their feedback:

Motion Graphic Design and Fine Art Animation: Principles and Practices

If you've already learned design, it's nothing new. I like it as a refresher of some principles that might slip your mind. There are good examples in it, and it's a fast read. So far, after the first 5 chapters or so, it doesn't delve very deep into the various principles, but it does cover enough ground to give one an understanding and enough knowledge to go learn more on their own. I also picked up the ABCs of the Bauhaus and Design Theory per Sao's recommendation, and it has been a good read.

As for mograph books, a quick Google search turned up this, maybe someone here has read it and can give their feedback:

HAHA, Funny you should post this! It was a recommended book while I was at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (about 2 years ago). I opened it once to just skip through to see hat was covered. A few weeks later I went to sit down and actually read it...couldn't find it. Long story short, a year later I graduated and moved back home to NY and my roommate said "before you leave, I think this is yours!" He had it this whole time. I was pissed. Anyway, I still have yet to actually sit down and read it, but I think your post of this book is a good sign to find some time and read through it!

Thanks for the reminder!

Jim

I received this book a few days ago from Amazon. The second edition. It's quite up to date. Even features some storyboards and test renders of Adam Swaab's (our good old member Chinaski) "Icarus".

However, I haven't read it all yet, but so far my impression is this: lots of examples, plenty of great pictures and the DVD has a lot of great stuff.

So, it's worth the money already for the inspirational stuff alone. I expected a little bit more from the book when it comes to knowledge though. The chapter titles sound great. But then there's often just a short introduction, a bit shallow, followed by lots of examples. Good thing about the examples is, that often the concepts behind the animations are nicely explained and the author (Jon Krasner) points out some things that you might not have noticed otherwise. Anyway, sometimes I would have preferred less examples and more theory – even though I usually love learning from examples, but in this book it seems just a bit too much focus on them rather than on explanations of the principles and basics themselves.

Well, that's my impression. But like I said, I haven't read it all yet.

I'd give 4 stars (from 5). It's good but I still hope to find a better book.

I received this book a few days ago from Amazon. The second edition. It's quite up to date. Even features some storyboards and test renders of Adam Swaab's (our good old member Chinaski) "Icarus".

However, I haven't read it all yet, but so far my impression is this: lots of examples, plenty of great pictures and the DVD has a lot of great stuff.

So, it's worth the money already for the inspirational stuff alone. I expected a little bit more from the book when it comes to knowledge though. The chapter titles sound great. But then there's often just a short introduction, a bit shallow, followed by lots of examples. Good thing about the examples is, that often the concepts behind the animations are nicely explained and the author (Jon Krasner) points out some things that you might not have noticed otherwise. Anyway, sometimes I would have preferred less examples and more theory – even though I usually love learning from examples, but in this book it seems just a bit too much focus on them rather than on explanations of the principles and basics themselves.

Well, that's my impression. But like I said, I haven't read it all yet.

I'd give 4 stars (from 5). It's good but I still hope to find a better book.

um... I better check - Silly question... you're talking about: "Motion Graphic Design and Fine Art Animation: Principles and Practices"

right?

um... I better check - Silly question... you're talking about: "Motion Graphic Design and Fine Art Animation: Principles and Practices"

right?

Oops, my bad.

I was talking about: "Motion Graphic Design: Applied History and Aesthetics, 2nd Edition"

Also by Jon Krasner. I thought it was the same book, just a new edition, but I guess it's not, is it?

It's not all smart like a book, but Hollywood Camera Work is a DVD that outlines proper blocking techniques. It will absolutely help you in setting up 3d comps and moving cameras in AE, but probably not much else you are wanting.

suggestions so far are great, keep em coming.

a short list for those arriving late:

Books

Motion Graphic Design: Applied History and Aesthetics, 2nd Edition

not sure if this si the same book with a new edition or different books. if someone can clarify ... even better.

DVDs

Hollywood Camera Work

Others mentioned:

Graphic Design The New Basics

Edited by Ratbaggy

I was at Borders today and took a look at Graphic Design: The New Basics and it looks like a great read. Didnt get it however cause I can get i online for almost half the price. Upon looking over the graphic design section, I came across this book. The Designer's Desktop Manual I flipped through quick and it seems like it had a lot of reference material regarding print and video alike. Anyone have this or heard anything? I was in a rush so I didnt sit down with it for too long.

jim

Can I add some nice books just to see stuff?

Motion Blur 1 and 2 (very good stuff also includes character animation but it's mostly experimental mograph)

Motion by Design (it's not that great, but it's cheap and nice just to see different looks and use as reference material)