Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

PNG vs TIFF

I have been using TIFF sequences and I'm really happy w/ it, but I went to a studio a few weeks back and was surprised to see that they use PNG sequences. I know of the image format but I never thought of creating PNG sequences over TIFF. They told us to use TIFF at school, but I wonder if I should switch to PNG and if that's the industry norm these days.

When I asked the animation studio why they used PNG, they didn't give me a good reason, they just said that that's what they were told to render the sequence as.

Thanks for the input! :-)

Guest Sao_Bento
PNG out of Cinema is 8-bit only. That kills it for me. I'm just slipping that in prior to the Sao appearance.

Right - the key phrase being "out of Cinema (4D)". In Photoshop, 16 bit PNGS are no problem. They are smaller than TIFFs with no compression, but comparable to TIFFS with LZW or RLE. It all depends on if you see using multiple file formats as adding unnecessary complexity to your workflow.

Right - the key phrase being "out of Cinema (4D)". In Photoshop, 16 bit PNGS are no problem. They are smaller than TIFFs with no compression, but comparable to TIFFS with LZW or RLE. It all depends on if you see using multiple file formats as adding unnecessary complexity to your workflow.

Was only a matter of time, /wave Sao

well, png´s are way better compressed (really depends on the footage) compared to TIF's with LZW or TGA's with RLE compression. the downside is that png's take much longer to encode or decode.

what i like the most is that PNG's are always rendered with straight alpha´s. there is no chance that anybody will fuck up your renders when misinterpreting your footage.

another downside of PNG`s is the embedded gamma correction. this can cause differenct displaying of the same picture on different devices, especially when working cross platform with PC's and MAC's. but you can get rid of the gamma information with tiny little programs like pngcrush. then everything will be fine.

my 2 cents...

payton

Guest Sao_Bento
well, png´s are way better compressed (really depends on the footage) compared to TIF's with LZW or TGA's with RLE compression. the downside is that png's take much longer to encode or decode.

what i like the most is that PNG's are always rendered with straight alpha´s. there is no chance that anybody will fuck up your renders when misinterpreting your footage.

another downside of PNG`s is the embedded gamma correction. this can cause differenct displaying of the same picture on different devices, especially when working cross platform with PC's and MAC's. but you can get rid of the gamma information with tiny little programs like pngcrush. then everything will be fine.

my 2 cents...

payton

Please cite your source for "PNG's are always rendered with straight alpha".

Ditto.

-m

well, maybe i shouted it out to loud. no source available here.

it´s simply the fact that i dont know any application that can render png´s with premultiplied rgb channels.

but if anyone can upload a png with premultiplied rbg channels - give it to me.

payton

we also use png sequences at the studio.. FCP has run into issues using still PNG's with cross dissolves between them, including an alpha channel.. so be careful..

also.. we use PNG codec under quicktime settings ALL the time instead of the Animation codec as a lot of you all might be using for alpha channeled movies.. same look, better size (sometimes almost a quarter of the size of the animation codec files)

Ever work w/ Inscriber? I wonder if it takes PNG? I ran into an interesting problem where I was making a slightly transparent lower third. I've always been exporting TIFF for inscriber.

Although it imports and recognizes TIFF alpha transparent images, it interprets TGA files more accurately. It seems to get confused w/ alpha tranparent TIFF files when it comes to opacity gradients and it outputs a lot of gray instead of gradually going transparent like it does w/ TGA files.

But I hate having to manually setup the alpha layer w/ TGA files.

Anyway long story short, TIFF seems to lose the battle against TGA files on Inscriber.

I dunno if I would go w/ the PNG codec tho for quicktime... when the file size is almost a quarter that the size of the same file w/ the animation codec then you have to question the compression process.

hmm... PNG sequences. I guess I'll try exporting a few PNG's this year and see how things go.