Sign in to follow this  
basilisk

No Mad Men thread?

OK, now series one just finished in UK, shouldn't be spoiling it for anyone. Being as a lot of us have at least some tenuous connections with the advertising industry, someone must have a view on it.

I really liked the pitch scenes (with their weird mythologising of actual campaigns) - I guess we will see a whole lot of moron execs modelling themselves on Don Draper and completely failing.

Nice to see something that doesn't assume we are all MTV generation idiots with an attention span of 2.5 seconds.

Titles a bit disappointing though - neither retro enough nor modern.

Loved it. Really liked the episode, pretty near the start I think, where they spot the VW 'Lemon' ad - for something that basic to arrive and shake things up, that must have been a fun time ;-) There aren't many 'rules' of advertising in use now that weren't forged in that decade.

Didn't mind the titles, actually, they seemed to fit the understated mood. Have you seen the DVD case? Nifty ;-)

2iizyhz.jpg

BTW - haven't seen the last 2 episodes yet, so no cliff-hanger spoilers!

C

I just watched the episode the other night and really liked it. Does anyone know how many episodes there are total? I'm watching "for your consideration" screeners and there are only six episodes on the list.

Does anyone know how many episodes there are total?

13 - Series 2 in production, so you'd better track down the rest of series 1. It really doesn't let you off easy if you miss anything!

season 2 starting on july 27th.

i'm ambivalent about the titles, i like portions of it but i feel let down by what could've been amazing, and is an interesting embyro, turned out rather average.

I watched two episodes but i don't feel the editing and the camera work, very stiff and boring. Were they supposed to emulate filming from that area?

Otherwise the whole plot seems to be a good idea.

I think in the first ep there's a direct reference to the influence of freud in the developpement of advertising:

century of the self

more info

I watched two episodes but i don't feel the editing and the camera work, very stiff and boring. Were they supposed to emulate filming from that area?

Otherwise the whole plot seems to be a good idea.

I think in the first ep there's a direct reference to the influence of freud in the developpement of advertising:

century of the self

more info

wow, great find. loving the video.

My feeling is that the editing/shooting style is entirely appropriate. Not just because it echoes more classic styles of presentation.

This is slow burn drama; a character kills himself, and no one finds out for two or three hours of screentime - but the audience knows, and it hangs over the drama and festers in our minds, like Oedipus not knowing about his familial relations; When the truth is revealed, while noone actually pokes out their own eyes, the effects are like an emotional clusterbomb.

It seems to be an attested phenomenon that editing speed has increased over the last twenty years. Part of this is down to NLE systems making the process much easier. Is this a good thing? Is it to help cover up lackluster production design and acting? Does it increase or decrease communication effectiveness?

Someone has looked into this in advertising

What I want to know is how Mad Men ever got made. In a context where every show seems to have been edited by a twelve-year old with ADHD, how did this slip through the net? I guess having Matt Weiner as exec/writer may have helped.

Guest dumbo

i've watched the whole series. i found it very watchable and engaging characters. my non-advertising friends who watched it with me loved it, and now think i enjoy the same perks... like drinking before and after the meeting... sleeping with your secretary... etc

some great one liners in this show too.

i just watched the first episode of the second season.. and i didn't get it. mad men seems like one of those things you have to watch from the beginning to really understand.

kind of like arrested development.