Sign in to follow this  
eley

Salary ranges?

...then I remember about our free health care here in Canada.

free health care = Canadian Propaganda ;)

(I know I told you all not to talk about health care, but I'm exempt because....because...I said so)

Edited by beau+++

Ooh now you gone and done it. A healthy young guy expects he'd be using average amount of a healthcare system where the national averages are older and less fit? I bet you wish you could sit in the old people seats on the bus. :D

I can't afford to ride the bus, my taxes are too high :D

One is a low-charging guy who's awesome and who lives in a cheap small town. The second is a high-charging guy who's equally amazing but who also lives in a cheap small town. Both guys take instruction well, don't complain, deliver on time and deliver work that makes me and my client say things like this in iChat:

20080530-nhg4bpqertyjb8d4gkb886ww54.jpg

Meritocracy unabridged.

What's the second guy's secret? He knows what to charge, he has more charisma, and he's more well-known in the community.

I appreciate the reply, I just want to reiterate (since mograph.net is my window to the world and I don't want to be well-known in the community as an outsourcee) that I'm not a "low-charging guy", I'm a "little-bit-less-charging guy". Also, I am overflowing with charisma :lol:

(sorry fellas, we're nearing the end of my post-whoring)

You are just under the illusion that you charge less.

East Coast rates are cut throat because of massive supply.

East coast producers are idiots, and think everyone from

somewhere else is a guru, and their own artists are peons.

Most of us wouldn't live anywhere else, even if it is cheap. I tried

living in a smaller city, and it felt like a cemetery.

Driving back into LA after that was euphoric. I've never been

so happy to see thick orange smog.

But if you prefer living where there is no creative stimulation from

talented co-workers, more power to you.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but the discussion of cost-of-living vs. salary makes me think this is a good time to ask your opinions on this:

I live in a city with a much lower cost of living than NYC or L.A. (<gloat> I'm moving into a pimpin' 1500 sq. ft. apartment this weekend for dirt cheap :) </gloat>)

I'm a fulltime freelancer, most of the work I get is done remotely for companies in Chicago, NYC, or L.A. I know that my daily rate is probably quite a bit lower than you guys that live in those places, and my justification has always been that I'll work for them for the same price as when I work for local companies, since I never actually have to leave the city. I see it as my way of competing with you guys that can go work on-site, so do you consider it wrong of me to charge less based purely on my lower cost of living?

If I was to be flown out to one of those cities to work on-site, do you think I should THEN be charging the norm for that city, or continue charging the norm for where I live?

(I'm not asking because I intend to change my practices or anything, I'm just wondering where you guys stand on this since it's a different situation from St. Efan's ie. me cutting studios a deal if they don't mind me working from home. Just trying to stir up discussion)

edit: I should also make sure you guys realize I'm not out there charging $25/day or something dumb like that. It's still comparable to your rates (at least what I think your rates probably are), it's just less.

why don't you give yourself a raise and live even fatter in your new pad? If they like your work, I doubt they will get too upset about a 10% raise. Tell them its for rising costs of maple syrup (or whatever it is you Canadians live off of up there) ;)

blame it on the cost of Gas...

Most of us wouldn't live anywhere else, even if it is cheap. I tried

living in a smaller city, and it felt like a cemetery.

Driving back into LA after that was euphoric. I've never been

so happy to see thick orange smog.

All depends on what you're used to. What feels euphoric to you would also feel like a cemetery to others and vice versa. I wasn't trying to knock L.A. at all, it's just not for me.

But if you prefer living where there is no creative stimulation from

talented co-workers, more power to you.

Not sure if that's meant to be a dig, but I have plenty of creative stimulation from talented co-industry workers despite them not working directly in my house with me, so that's a moot point. I'm in touch with lots of other professionals in the city, including my closest friends. I'm IMing them during the day while working, and discussing mograph over beers on evenings/weekends, so there's no lack of creative stimulation here.

Granted, it would be nice to actually work side by side with those people, but staff gigs here pay about 1/3 of what I'm able to get freelancing, so that's not gonna happen, and like I said, I don't have much interest in leaving.

ANYWAY...what the hell were we talking about again?

Damn, doesn't anyone in here have enough you know what to say how much they make?

Who cares, for those of us that are looking into getting into this line of work, we want to be able to get an idea on salary to see if we can support our families, what's the big deal.

It's easy enough to look at the people you work with, or the people you interview with, and get a good idea at what standard of living you can expect. The range isn't that broad, and it probably has a standard distribution with people at either end 3 standard deviations from the mean. When I started, I didn't have the slightest idea of precise salaries, but one of my coworkers owned a house and had a kid, another likewise, and the owner of the company had a great house in Manhattan Beach. That was enough for me. I could see that I was in a field where a living was possible. You'd think that would be obvious, but if you've ever been a writer you don't feel such a sense of entitlement, that you should make money just for showing up. For writers, there's always some question whether you can even make a basic living even with a high level of skill. With motion graphics, high levels of skill are rewarded.